Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 04 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 22:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good underwater camera?

Numenorean
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 11, 2012 11:46 |  #16

SOX 404 wrote in post #14695634 (external link)
I pressume you will bring the camera for scuba diving, not snorkling. If so:

An option is to get:
- G12
- G12 UW house
- Good strobes. How many strobes, really depends on what you are shooting. If only macro photos, one is enough. However, it's a bit tricky for wide angle photos. I recommend you to buy 2 strobes.
- If you plan to have night dives, then you need a reasonable quality torch.

The key here for UW photography is the strobes. Regardless what camera you bring, without good strobes, the pictures will turn blueish color.

Why would you assume that? Snorkeling will be the most I will be doing. That and kayak trips. I can't really take the 5DII snorkeling.

Gear List

sponsored links
GrdCymnLvr
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 11, 2012 13:54 |  #17

I use S95 with WP-DC38 housing. I know you could put it in Dicapac WP 410/310, but too much hassle. I came from ELPH 300 with underwater case, sold a bundle for S95. Very satisfied. When I had an option to get underwater cam, I opt out for a raw shooting P&S with housing, mostly not satisfied with the pictures dedicated U.W. cameras produce. I wished could take my FZ150 underwater, but here is the thing, I don't feel comfortable to put in Pro WP10($100.00) sort of thing and there is no official Un.Wt. case. Overall, pretty satisfied with s95 right now. Here is one of the pictures taken recently:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7550613636_088f4fd03d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/grdcymnlvr/7550​613636/  (external link)
IMG_0738 (external link) by Torpiedo (external link), on Flickr

harpinche
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 12, 2012 17:28 |  #18

Wow, that's a really beautiful resolution. I've seen Sony underwater cases that are almost like Ziploc bags designed for a DSLR. Are there any others that you think might be better?

Playing the brain game.

SOX ­ 404
574 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2012 00:37 |  #19

JersFocus wrote in post #14697617 (external link)
So what options are there with canon s100 and underwater housing? I am getting the s100 tomorrow and in a month or so before I go to Lanai will grab the housing.

Will only be snorkeling in 8-12ft of water.

Suggestions? I also have the waterproof sony dsc-tx10...

Frankly speaking, I have no suggestion for s100; since I've never owned one and not experienced with s100. But, here u go some housings:

http://www.backscatter​.com …a&s4op=cn&s4=Ca​non%20S100 (external link)

AJ
1 x Canon 5DSR | 2 x Canon 5D2 | 8-15L | 16-35L | 17-40L (dead) | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 180L | 70-200 2.8L IS
Aquatica UW Housing | INON Z240 | Ikelite DS-161 | Sola 600 | 2 x Sola 2000
My Flickr  (external link)

GrdCymnLvr
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 16, 2012 08:58 |  #20

harpinche wrote in post #14708306 (external link)
Wow, that's a really beautiful resolution. I've seen Sony underwater cases that are almost like Ziploc bags designed for a DSLR. Are there any others that you think might be better?

You see problem is with not dedicated cases as they have limited access to control functions/settings on any camera. As much as I know there are 2 brands Dicapac and aquapac, I'm not counting others like Chinese made copy cats/replicas. With these plastic bags u still can press some buttons, but sometimes you have to extend zoom a bit to not snap pix with black borders, and always adjust camera in the bag. Of course, considering a fact they are like Walmart shirts, one size fits most, they are not bespoke ones.:cry:

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 20, 2012 20:54 |  #21

Panasonic TS3 (I wouldn't spring the extra cash for a newer TS4, personally) - hands down for a compact solution if you just want something that works, is small enough to travel with easily and aren't going to add strobes and all the hoo-ha.

Adore this camera for diving and snorkeling both video and stills. It does OK on land, too.
12m - no flash

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …o%20Reef/APR12_​210kja.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …o%20Reef/FEB12_​167kja.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …o%20Reef/FEB12_​165kja.jpg (external link)

12m - macro

http://img.photobucket​.com …o%20Reef/FEB12_​163kja.jpg (external link)

3m - no flash

http://img.photobucket​.com …o%20Reef/APR12_​136kja.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …o%20Reef/APR12_​137kja.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …o%20Reef/FEB12_​178kja.jpg (external link)

12m - self portrait

http://img.photobucket​.com …o%20Reef/MAR12_​198kja.jpg (external link)

Will take great shots down to about 12m. I took it with me in Bonaire and oopsie forgot I had it with me as I hit 30m. Camera was fine. Didn't try to shoot with it, but as it sometimes won't work at 14ish m I suspect it wouldn't have worked anyway LOL

Kristin

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 20, 2012 22:35 |  #22

I just recently got an Olympus TG-1 iHS. I honestly haven't had a ton of time with it but I am incredibly impressed by its construction, how easy the menus are to use, how fast the GPS acquires, and the f2.0 is awesome in some junk shots I've taken.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

GrdCymnLvr
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 23, 2012 08:50 |  #23

Amazing shots with an artistic touch, there is a lot of light for 12m depth. After 12m I have to put ISO more than 400 and adj. shutter speed to at least +-1/15. Also WP-DC38 is making all cracking noises and whistles I afraid if I took it deeper it is going to burst in half despite of 40m spec. rating.

botw
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 24, 2012 08:54 |  #24

I've been pleased with my ts4. IQ is nice. Controls are easy. It's smaller than the d20. I also had the ts20 and thought it was junk.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 25, 2012 01:33 as a reply to  @ botw's post |  #25

I think the S100 with the underwater housing would be a perfect camera for underwater use. It has a very fast wide lens and has RAW capability as well as great performance at low ISO. The weakness of the G9 and G11 that I have, was poor ISO performance and a rather slow lens. But recently I bought a new HD Hero 2 and find that it works quite well too! I mean once you start shooting underwater video it is hard to go back to shooting stills. Of course I am not claiming that the Hero is a better camera as I can't imagine using it out of water, but with their new $50 housing with underwater flat lens it is a great option !

One thing to keep an eye on is the new mirrorless lens from Canon. If they could come up with a pancake lens at say 17mm and f1.8 and the Canon housing ... that would be a killer combination at a very reasonable price for underwater use!

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

MyPixelatedWorld
36 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 25, 2012 11:24 |  #26

Thanks for pointing out the D20. I will go para-gliding on Thailand next week and I want to take shots above and as soon as I hit the water. I reckon it will great :)

Canon 60D - Nikon D90 - Nikon D3
So many lens.. Few money.
Checkout my cousin's YouTube (external link) Channel
http://quotesaboutbein​gyourself.com/life/ (external link)
http://quotesaboutbein​gyourself.com/ (external link)

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2012 15:48 |  #27

JersFocus wrote in post #14697617 (external link)
So what options are there with canon s100 and underwater housing? [...]
Will only be snorkeling in 8-12ft of water.

There are at least 5 commercially available housings for the S100.

The cheapest is Canon's own WP-DC43 ($200-230), able to go down to 130 ft/40m.

The next one up is the Ikelite housing for S100 ($325 or so).

On the high end you have RecSea and Fisheye/FIX housings which cost $800-900 each.

For only 8-12 ft of depth, there are many ziplock-type "housing bags" which will do the job for less than $50:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …7&N=4185679681+​4283022107 (external link)

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2012 16:08 |  #28

GrdCymnLvr wrote in post #14756175 (external link)
Also WP-DC38 is making all cracking noises and whistles I afraid if I took it deeper it is going to burst in half despite of 40m spec. rating.

I use the S95 (with WP-DC38) as well and bought my wife a S100 (with WP-DC43) after she kept complaining her SD700 (with WP-DC5) produced too many blurred shots (no shutter priority mode to force a faster shutter speed).

Before the S95 I used a Fuji F30 with a Fuji polycarbonate housing (very similar to the DC5, DC38 and DC43).

Most of our dives are in the 60-100 ft (20-30 m) range, and we never had a problem with any of the 4 housings.

These polycarbonate housings can withstand pressure quite well.

This one was taken a few years ago with my F30 at 33m:

IMAGE: http://retroblader.smugmug.com/Photography/Technical/i-dJ38TSt/0/M/DSCF5292-M.jpg

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 28, 2012 23:24 |  #29

Housing a camera is great but has quite a few downsides if you aren't going to dive/snorkel etc a lot:
- bulky
- housing (Canon) is still about $150+ ish
- bulky
- have to get the more expensive housing if you want to use wet mate lenses etc (usually, at least)
- bulky
- more maintenance required on housing
- fogging
- bulky
- not grab & go...have to check orings, clean housing, insert camera, check orings, seal, double check everything again...

Best bang for buck imho is the Panny TS3 or 4 (which is on sale at BH Photo, I noticed). It goes anywhere, does an awesome job underwater and still fits in your pocket (I actually stick mine in my bikini as I walk along the beach since I have no pockets. could not do that with a housed system :) )

Kristin

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 29, 2012 00:05 |  #30

kja wrote in post #14784135 (external link)
Housing a camera is great but has quite a few downsides if you aren't going to dive/snorkel etc a lot:
[...]
Best bang for buck imho is the Panny TS3 or 4 (which is on sale at BH Photo, I noticed). It goes anywhere, does an awesome job underwater and still fits in your pocket (I actually stick mine in my bikini as I walk along the beach since I have no pockets. could not do that with a housed system :) )

Yes, for most people, "underwater" use amounts to a 3-4 ft below surface (e.g. in the pool) or simply a wet environment (where the camera stays above water surface but gets splashed).

For those people, a "tough" P&S camera indeed makes a lot of sense, particularly if they don't already have a specific point-and-shoot camera they want to keep using.

But that doesn't mean a "tough P&S" is always the best way to go. I know some of the earlier models can end up with sticky buttons/dials (particularly with salt water exposure). Not sure if the newer ones are better.

Perhaps more importantly, even the toughest ones can only go down to 30-40 ft. That may be plenty for snorkling, but nowhere near enough for scuba-diving. Even the most beginner scuba divers can go down to 60 ft.

Also, most tough P&S cameras don't have large sensors or RAW capabilities. For someone who has a specific camera in mind (like S95/S100/LX5/LX7), a underwater housing is the only way to go.

Of course, serious UW photographers want to add things like wet lenses and strobes, which not all housings support. That is why there are not one, not two, but a bunch of manufacturers making UW housings, some of which cost 2-4x that of the cameras they house. (E.g. RecSea and FIX housings for the S100 costs almost $900 each. Housings for DSLRs can cost over $3000.)

Different strokes for different folks.

Full Gear List

sponsored links

12,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good underwater camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.