Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets 
Thread started 19 Nov 2006 (Sunday) 12:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show Me Your Horses

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 18, 2012 09:51 |  #961

*phew*! Thanks guys. Since I can see *every* mistake, if you guys 'ok' them, they'll most likely pass muster with the client.

sponsored links
matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 18, 2012 11:06 |  #962

Playm wrote in post #14589654 (external link)
. ..
Here's one more of those arab shots. .. (Bob, the owner told me that he wasn't one of the 'show' arabs. .. this one is (whatever line it is) that is heavier boned. ). ..

He's got a lot of substance for an arab. Is he full blooded arab or part QH? Man, he's got a gorgeous head!

bobb d wrote in post #14590164 (external link)
Thanks Playm, the nice green stuff comes at a price. It has not stopped raining for 2 days over here but the sun is out now. Nice background work your client will be pleased.

Bob

Well, here in Omaha it is going to be 100 today. And it rained (actually stormed)Thurs, Fri, Sat so the ground is nice and wet. Should be over 90% humidity in addition to 100 degrees!:( Just spent last hour getting fans on stalls!

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 18, 2012 12:30 as a reply to  @ matonanjin's post |  #963

My riding lessons are at 2:00 pm four days a week. I can't remember the last time I rode and the temp was not in the 90's (maybe two months ago?). My little Arab just goes to work for the whole hour and never complains. Well...never complains about the heat anyway; collected canter is another matter!

I agree with Ron. Not a real typee Arabian. Neck seems pretty short and no refinement in the throatlatch. Have you considered adding some length to the mane in post? I don't know if that would be unethical since it's for advertising a coat supplement but his mane needs some help. Love his color though!

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 18, 2012 13:55 |  #964

Ron & Hot Bob. .. I do NOT envy you guys your humidity. Ugh. .. but riding and/or photographing in the heat, we use those evaporative vests (worth their weight in gold, in mho). We got ours from CoolMedics.com - they had their booth next to us at Western States Horse Expo for a number of years.

That Arab has a thick throat latch... which is why I didn't show the client any photos of the neck. (yet). .. it's visually protected by the angle of the shot or by the mane. I agree, Bob, that the mane could have been better in that trot shot. .. (darn it).. but it was actually flipped over from the other side. .. well.. half of it was. Now that you mention it, it never occurred to me that someone would think this was the natural side (hence, shorter).. I'm glad you mentioned that. (now I can *see* what other people see who don't realize it's flipped over from the other side).

.. oh.. knowing zip, nada, nothing about Arab bloodlines, this is info from his website:
"DreamCatcher Alshain (Abu Zanzabar x Rojeika) From a breeding program that has produced a Tevis winner; multiple successful endurance horses; sport horse and dressage winners."

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 18, 2012 14:46 |  #965

Playm wrote in post #14596581 (external link)
info from his website:
"DreamCatcher Alshain (Abu Zanzabar x Rojeika) From a breeding program that has produced a Tevis winner; multiple successful endurance horses; sport horse and dressage winners."

This always makes me laugh. It's like that six degrees of Kevin Bacon game. Like "My horse once went to the same vet that delivered Stormcat".

I'm not bagging on the horse. Pretty is as pretty does. It's the people that crack me up.

I hadn't thought of it before but the Tevis comment reminded me; this is a video of my trail horse. He was for sale but he has a stifle injury and sometimes goes irregular so I guess he's semi-retired. This is Hank Copeland riding him. Hank has decades of endurance racing under his belt. Quite a character!

http://www.youtube.com …er_embedded&v=2​wcDg-EDPuk (external link)

Bob

Gear List

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 18, 2012 16:05 |  #966

I understand. I guess the owner rides endurance. (I don't .. so other than hearing about it when the Tevis is going on, I don't now the players). I'm more involved with cutting horses. .. and those lines & ppl. .. NICE Video! btw. .. He's a real looker!! (actually, he's pretty drop-dead gorgeous). LOL. .too bad about the stifle injury. Thanks for the education about shooting Arabs.

aponi06
665 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 27, 2012 11:57 |  #967

Not sure if I'd shared these but from the Faquier Co. Rodeo:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8010/7455453164_8e0cd76fa8.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/15397492@N05/7​455453164/  (external link)
IMG_4158 (external link) by sparkette1 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7265/7455452668_48a9fab833.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/15397492@N05/7​455452668/  (external link)
IMG_4179 (external link) by sparkette1 (external link), on Flickr

Kat
Facebook me (external link)
deviantART (external link)
"Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease."

MT59
248 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 01, 2012 18:21 as a reply to  @ aponi06's post |  #968

Jesse helping me make sure my "new" 40D is working fine.

IMAGE: http://www.photographybymalcolm.com/Other/Temp/i-drNk2Pk/0/L/IMG8018-L.jpg

5D2, 7D, 40D (all gripped), 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM, Sigma 8-16mm, Sigma 70-300mm

bobb ­ d
184 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 12, 2012 15:26 as a reply to  @ MT59's post |  #969

Latest portrait

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

7D, 70-200 f2.8 L non IS USM, 18-135mm EFS, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 50mm Mk2 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 17-55mm 2.8, 580 EXII, Manfrotto 055XB & 804RC2 head..........no money left now:p

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 12, 2012 16:28 |  #970

@ MT59 ... Hahahaha... Cracks me up.

@ Bobbbbbbbbb... Ooooooooooooooohhhhhh VERY Nice!! I like the soft light. .. figuring you had some cloud cover? (pretty rare in our part of *sunny* California).

bobb ­ d
184 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 12, 2012 16:36 |  #971

Playm wrote in post #14708088 (external link)
@ MT59 ... Hahahaha... Cracks me up.

@ Bobbbbbbbbb... Ooooooooooooooohhhhhh VERY Nice!! I like the soft light. .. figuring you had some cloud cover? (pretty rare in our part of *sunny* California).

Thanks Playm it was an overcast day which is quite common over here. Thanks for the comments. The horse is called Tom and he is a FEI dressage horse. Very talented horse and rider.

7D, 70-200 f2.8 L non IS USM, 18-135mm EFS, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 50mm Mk2 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 17-55mm 2.8, 580 EXII, Manfrotto 055XB & 804RC2 head..........no money left now:p

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 12, 2012 17:08 |  #972

@ Bobbbbb. I have a question. Are quarter horses used much over there? I don't see many (any) warmbloods (or the typical breeds used for dressage) over here that are buckskin (unless they're using a quarter horse). (again, my disclaimer: I'm not a dressage person.. though some of my friends show dressage. (I rode english & jumped as a teen.. and then got hooked on cutting horses)). .. so just sayin' .. I was curious.

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 12, 2012 17:57 as a reply to  @ Playm's post |  #973

Playm, I can't speak for what is actually going on in Europe but I am pretty up to date on dressage. I really, really doubt you will see a Quarter Horse used for dressage anywhere in Europe. I know Europeans come to the U.S. all the time to but Quarter Horses for Reining but it doesn't really make sense to import a horse for something it's not bred for when they have the best breeding stock in the world already there. And the European horse community is much more serious overall about dressage than Americans. In many countries, the government is responsible for the studbook. Don't get me wrong, I believe all horses can and probably should do some dressage but, not all breeds can excell at it.

To address the other part of your question, I believe the Trakehner can often look like a buckskin. Warmbloods are almost exclusively bay or black. Of course, technically the Trakehner is a warmblood too.

Bob

Gear List

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 13, 2012 07:59 |  #974

Playm wrote in post #14585978 (external link)
I completely replaced the backgrounds in all three. .. I think #1 & #2 are ok. .. but I'm not thrilled with #3. .. however, since it will be printed pretty small, do ya think I can get away with it??

This is the original of #3. ... (actually, the label shot had tractor tires, fence and a pick up in the background). Whatdaya'll think? .. is it real obvious that the backgrounds have been changed??

Shot 2 looks OK. But I don't know about the #3 - the grass texture is different in the background but that should be relatively easy to patch up. What I noticed right away is the odd shaped shadow (from the weeds in the original). I would be afraid that even small, that would jump out. But then, I can't say if I would have noticed it before I tried to replace backgrounds and learned so many "not to dos".

Anyway, nice looking horse and great shots even if the background wasn't idea.

Kevin

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 13, 2012 08:25 |  #975

Playm wrote in post #14708235 (external link)
@ Bobbbbb. I have a question. Are quarter horses used much over there? I don't see many (any) warmbloods (or the typical breeds used for dressage) over here that are buckskin (unless they're using a quarter horse). (again, my disclaimer: I'm not a dressage person.. though some of my friends show dressage. (I rode english & jumped as a teen.. and then got hooked on cutting horses)). .. so just sayin' .. I was curious.

Hot Bob wrote in post #14708420 (external link)
Playm, I can't speak for what is actually going on in Europe but I am pretty up to date on dressage. I really, really doubt you will see a Quarter Horse used for dressage anywhere in Europe. I know Europeans come to the U.S. all the time to but Quarter Horses for Reining but it doesn't really make sense to import a horse for something it's not bred for when they have the best breeding stock in the world already there. And the European horse community is much more serious overall about dressage than Americans. In many countries, the government is responsible for the studbook. Don't get me wrong, I believe all horses can and probably should do some dressage but, not all breeds can excell at it.

To address the other part of your question, I believe the Trakehner can often look like a buckskin. Warmbloods are almost exclusively bay or black. Of course, technically the Trakehner is a warmblood too.

Bob

I can tell you what I've noticed and found out about the topic here in Germany. First, I wonder if the horse in bobb d's shot is as "buckskin" colored as it appears. When I read the reference to a buckskin, I wasn't sure which shot was meant. In German, that color is "brown" - and there are variations in darkness. I originally thought that it was a "light brown". It could also be the lighting/WB. But with all that said, Bob is right, I've seen quite a lot of Trakehners in that lighter brown end of the spectrum. But I will take exception to saying warmbloods are almost exclusively bay or black - that overlooks the "shimmels" (grays) which are probably the most popular color, at least here in the Rhineland.

You see some quarter horses here and there - "Western" style is popular but not as widespread as classic dressage and jumping. There's close to 100 horses at the stables where we have our horse and only one or two looks to be QH even in part. Interestingly enough one is a little buckskin and she rides him mainly in jumping tournaments!

Kevin

sponsored links

519,834 views & 955 likes for this thread
Show Me Your Horses
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.