Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

cyber
123 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 13, 2012 01:27 |  #481

shadowcat wrote in post #14708509 (external link)
I need to see more images before i can decide if i will get one or not so far i'm not impressed but will hold judgment.

You need to get up to speed with current technology

sponsored links
ChewieT
378 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 13, 2012 01:53 |  #482

Thanks Jim, very impressive. Nothing like that in the UK unfortunately.

whitesell wrote in post #14708706 (external link)
Hi Chewy,

Yes, it is a very bright arena. You may notice splashes of light on the ice. To get a better idea of what it looks like, here is a pano I did last year of the Ice Palace at West Edmonton Mall where I shot those hockey pics:
http://www.albertaphot​o.com …cepalacecopyrig​ht2011.jpg (external link)
(this pano was made from 138 images, shot with a 5D MKII and 24-70)

Regards,
Jim

Gripped Canon 7D | Gripped Canon 50D | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MkII | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 135mm f/2.0L | EF 24mm f/1.4L II | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens | 2 x 580EX Mk II | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 | Manfrotto ball head Midi 498RC2 | Lowepro Flipside 400AW
http://www.tuckshots.c​o.uk (external link)

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2012 04:40 |  #483

narlus wrote in post #14709299 (external link)
i am part of the great unwashed who doesn't own a 1Dx, but i'll attempt to answer your questions.

your first sentence reads like "I just paid $500 for these jeans, and i know they are totally worth it." others can find fully functional jeans at the gap for 1/10th the price. there are markets for both products.

the price i'm sure has a lot to do w/ it, but i don't see people knocking camera qualities. where do you read that? i'm sure there's a fair amount of jealousy involved from some non-buyers, just as there's justification from some buyers who have very little experience w/ the camera so far.

really? how do we know that? how do you measure image quality? if you were to take a 5D3 and 1Dx and shoot the same subject w/ the same lighting and lens, do you think you'd pass an ABX test?

sounds a lot like that buyer justification i mentioned earlier. and no, it's not 2 stops better.

i wouldn't say that's the most significant, as it's really hard to adequately measure how well it works and what sort of keepers the 1Dx would yield where the 5D3 would fail. the key distinguishing features i see are fps, spot metering linked to AF point, robust build and weather sealing.

i had pre-ordered one of these bodies in December. i was totally sold on it. then the 5D3 specs and price came out, and then the camera actually was available for use, long before the 1Dx was. at almost half the price, it hits nearly all the things I want my camera to do as is a large improvement from the 5D2. i live at high ISO, so i could certainly use the incrementally better high ISO performance of the 1Dx but there was no way i could justify the cost, to me or my wife. others certainly feel different, and that's fine. people can spend their cash how they like. hell, some people even drive H2s.

It's tough for me to tell from your comments whether you feel the 1DX is a better camera or not, but in any case, I've already given up debating with those that disparage this camera with no actual experience with it, so the point is moot. I'm sure your 5DIII is a very wonderful camera. You made the right decision.

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

whitesell
361 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 13, 2012 08:42 |  #484

DJHaze596 wrote in post #14688049 (external link)
I'm going to be the only one saying this, But as far as Sharpness goes, I just don't see it in these two Pictures. There very soft. I think this is because your allowing the Camera to convert to Jpeg and I'm sure your just messing around, But what i do is, Shoot RAW, and Let Photoshop (I think Lightroom does the same) Properly Convert to Jpeg through Image Processor. Shooting in RAW usually means No Halos. I notice it with my Kiss X5 and 50mm 1.8 shot in RAW. Looks Amazing, No Halo's. So Shoot in RAW but let Photoshop Convert it to Jpeg through Image Processor. You will notice it will keep the sharpness which In-Camera and DPP do not. They give off halo's. May not sound like a big deal to most people. But i sure notice it. lol DPP is so overrated.

I"ve never bothered with in-camera jpg conversion before. I was interested in posting those and didn't have my computer handy. Now it's a week later and I've finally had time to look at those hockey pics in Lightroom and do some tweaking as I normally do. Here is one of those original hockey pics I posted last week, this time sharpened slightly in LR4:
http://www.jimwhitesel​l.com/images/A19P4471.​jpg (external link)

I'm happy with that.

Regards,
Jim

Edmonton portrait photographer (external link)
Google Business Photos Edmonton (external link)
Gear list

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 13, 2012 08:45 |  #485

I think the question many are asking and legitimately is:

"Is this £2,300.00 better than the 5d3".

The 5d3 is such a stunning camera, that the gap between them is not that big for many uses.

So I think it is valid for people to compare these 2 bodies.

What has to be remembered though, is that these are probably the best 2 Canon cameras ever released in their class, so both are exceptional.

Questioning whether the 5d3 is more suitable than the 1dx for an individual is not wrong. :-)

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you" (Belmondo)

Banger
249 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 13, 2012 09:05 |  #486

whitesell wrote in post #14710832 (external link)
I"ve never bothered with in-camera jpg conversion before. I was interested in posting those and didn't have my computer handy. Now it's a week later and I've finally had time to look at those hockey pics in Lightroom and do some tweaking as I normally do. Here is one of those original hockey pics I posted last week, this time sharpened slightly in LR4:
http://www.jimwhitesel​l.com/images/A19P4471.​jpg (external link)

I'm happy with that.

Regards,
Jim

I would be to Jim. I noticed in your gear list you have the 5DIII as well. Have you had any time to do any side by side comparisons? What are your impressions on the differences between the two cameras?

1D MK IV / Σ 12 - 24 / Σ 50 1.4 / 85 1.8 /100 2.8/ 24-105L / 70-200L F2.8 IS Mk II / Σ 50-500 OS / 580EXII

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2012 09:15 as a reply to  @ mtimber's post |  #487

To each his own. Right or wrong, I've always enjoyed having the best of the best in all of my hobbies (much to my wife's dismay). For me, there's no question the increased cost is worth it. For others who are a little more conscious of their spending, it's probably not something they're willing to pony up for. Some might also say that the T3i at $800 is better than the 1DX at $6800. My point is that, leaving the cost out of the equation, the 1DX is Canon's best camera to date, if we're only considering image quality, features, etc. Whether or not someone can afford it, or wants to afford it, is something else entirely. If you only need one camera and have the $6800 budgeted to spend, the 1DX is the best. If someone only has less to spend or if you need 2 or more bodies, then the 5DIII or 5DII might be the best for that person. I just find it hard to believe that anyone would find faults with this camera, especially those that haven't held or or even seen it. Now, I'm sure they do this to sell their most expensive camera, but Canon has stated that the 1DX has the best high-ISO noise performance ever. How much better doesn't matter to me, but of course there will be pixel peepers who want to quantify how much better. The AF performance might be close to the 5DIII, but it's still better (per Canon, the best precision ever in EOS history). Whether or not it's worth it to some is subjective, but for me, it's worth it because it's better. And customization is important to me, and again, per Canon, the highest level of customization ever. I don't think the question should be whether or not this camera is better. And I think suitability might come down to cost restrictions, or maybe the size of the 1DX, but those are limitations that individuals have to manage on their own.

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

whitesell
361 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 13, 2012 09:24 |  #488

Banger wrote in post #14710923 (external link)
I would be to Jim. I noticed in your gear list you have the 5DIII as well. Have you had any time to do any side by side comparisons? What are your impressions on the differences between the two cameras?

Hi Banger,

I ordered the 1D X when it was first announced last October. When the 5D MKIII showed up, I grabbed two of those. I haven't really shot them side-by-side, but both are very nice. I sold a 1D MKIII earlier this year in anticipation of the 1D X and have been missing the feel of the 1-series bodies. My 5D MKIII's are both gripped, and frankly I didn't think the gripped 5D MKIII felt as comfortable in my hand as the 1 body did. But now that I can hold them side-by-side, I find they feel the same - so now I'm happy with the feel of the gripped 5D MKIII.

I haven't shot any client work with the 1D X yet. I've been shooting with the 5D MKIII's and have been extremely pleased with not only the results, but with many of the features of the camera. I have a wedding tomorrow, and I'll probably shoot with both the 1D X and 5D MKIII to give them a real-world trial against each other.

I've been so happy with the 5D MKIII's that I'm feeling a bit of buyer's remorse with the 1D X. I don't really need the fast FPS and even though I love the ability to tie the spot meter point to the focus point, I can live without that. I'm considering selling the 1D X and just keeping the 5D MKIII's. If I was shooting more sports of wildlife the 1D X would be a no-brainer but that isn't a large part of my work.

I'll know more after I have a chance to shoot the wedding reception tomorrow - the low light stuff may make up my mind!

Regards,
Jim

Edmonton portrait photographer (external link)
Google Business Photos Edmonton (external link)
Gear list

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 13, 2012 09:27 |  #489

The smaller form of the 5D3 and silent shutter makes me question using the 1Dx for weddings.

Chris Giles Photography

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2012 09:42 |  #490

Gel wrote in post #14711018 (external link)
The smaller form of the 5D3 and silent shutter makes me question using the 1Dx for weddings.

Again, to each his own. After shooting with 1D bodies for so long, I can't go back to the smaller body. And gripped bodies aren't the same.

The 1DX (and previous 1D bodies) have silent shutter mode.

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2012 09:46 as a reply to  @ ChrisGorabPhotography's post |  #491

What brings non-1DX owners and those with no interest in the 1DX into the 1DX owners thread with comments? Just curious. Are the negative viewpoints on the merits of the 1DX simply serving to justify their ownership of other Canon bodies? It's as if an atheist or an agnostic went to church, sat in the rear of the church, and then starting arguing theology or religion with the priest. The atheist/agnostic would have no real interest in religion and could probably argue against organized religion, but why be there in the first place?

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

LordBrian
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 13, 2012 10:02 |  #492

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14711076 (external link)
What brings non-1DX owners and those with no interest in the 1DX into the 1DX owners thread with comments? Just curious. Are the negative viewpoints on the merits of the 1DX simply serving to justify their ownership of other Canon bodies? It's as if an atheist or an agnostic went to church, sat in the rear of the church, and then starting arguing theology or religion with the priest. The atheist/agnostic would have no real interest in religion and could probably argue against organized religion, but why be there in the first place?

I came here to see some photos :D:D:D

p.s. Never justify yourself to anybody if you want something.

Canon 7D | EF 100-400mm L my favourite bits of kit
http://blog.depicus.co​m (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Vimeo (external link) - 500px (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,472 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 13, 2012 10:04 |  #493

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14711076 (external link)
What brings non-1DX owners and those with no interest in the 1DX into the 1DX owners thread with comments? Just curious.

Speaking for myselft, a non 1DX owner, I'm am really interested in and excited about the camera. I want to learn more about it, enjoy the imagery from it, and perhaps even consider upgrading to it. Like you said, this is the best camera Canon makes...that makes it inherently exciting. I hope my posting here is not a problem! :D

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 13, 2012 10:06 |  #494

Chris, you are pretty touchy on this subject. go on ahead and enjoy the best of the best.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2012 10:06 |  #495

LordBrian wrote in post #14711129 (external link)
I came here to see some photos :D:D:D

p.s. Never justify yourself to anybody if you want something.

I can totally appreciate coming in to check out the results of this long-awaited body, but I don't get those that just come to voice their negativity. And I don't have to justify anything. I always spend too much on my hobbies without regret. Thousands and thousands spent on photography, brewing, and fishing. I don't have to explain any of it. All well spent. My problem lies with needless and, more importantly, unwarranted criticism.

Back to the photos!

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

sponsored links

3,025,828 views & 4,757 likes for this thread
1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.