Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

SeverianTL
84 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 13, 2012 13:13 |  #511

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14711076 (external link)
What brings non-1DX owners and those with no interest in the 1DX into the 1DX owners thread with comments? Just curious. Are the negative viewpoints on the merits of the 1DX simply serving to justify their ownership of other Canon bodies? It's as if an atheist or an agnostic went to church, sat in the rear of the church, and then starting arguing theology or religion with the priest. The atheist/agnostic would have no real interest in religion and could probably argue against organized religion, but why be there in the first place?

LordBrian wrote in post #14711129 (external link)
I came here to see some photos :D:D:D

+1

Now, where the photos at? :) Come on folks, share with the have-nots.

At first it looks like a horse's ass. But click it, and it turns into a unicorn! :cool:
5D3, 7D, EOS M. Sigma: 8-16mm, 18-50mm/2.8 macro, 35mm/1.4 A, 50mm/1.4, 50mm/1.4 A , 120-400mm. Canon: 8-15mm/4 Fisheye, 16-35mm/4 IS, 24-105mm/4 IS, 70-200mm/4 IS, 100mm/2.8 IS macro, EF-M 18-55 IS STM.

sponsored links
itsafastworld85
464 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 13, 2012 14:28 |  #512

oh joy yet more '5d is better value' its nearly the same camera bla bla

The only people who seem to actually give a toss about the 5D are the owners, the 1DX owners/those waiting for theirs chose the 1DX for their reasons and seem incredibly happy they made that decision.

For me the extra 2k alone is worth it for not having to have a bolt on grip. I personally have never held a body gripped and felt this feels as good in hand as any of my 1 series. After all its a tool for your trade, and sometimes being comfortable/more trusting in your set up helps your work flow.

Heck Snap on special edition tool boxes are not needed for some mechanics but they dont have to justify spending them to others im sure ;)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 13, 2012 14:38 |  #513

itsafastworld85 wrote in post #14712200 (external link)
oh joy yet more '5d is better value' its nearly the same camera bla bla

The only people who seem to actually give a toss about the 5D are the owners, the 1DX owners/those waiting for theirs chose the 1DX for their reasons and seem incredibly happy they made that decision.

For me the extra 2k alone is worth it for not having to have a bolt on grip. I personally have never held a body gripped and felt this feels as good in hand as any of my 1 series. After all its a tool for your trade, and sometimes being comfortable/more trusting in your set up helps your work flow.

Heck Snap on special edition tool boxes are not needed for some mechanics but they dont have to justify spending them to others im sure ;)

I actually prefer the 5D body because of the lack of integrated grip. It's the most flexible in my mind because I have the choice whether or not I want a grip or not. That's my primary knock against the 1D line actually. I've forever wanted a 1D in a 5D body and with the 5D3, I seem to have gotten most of that wish.

That said, I would love to have the better ISO of the 1DX and I'd be willing to pay for it, if they put it in a compact body and charged a few hundred less than a full size 1DX - maybe calling it a 3D.

But since the 5D3 has become what it is, I think the chances of that are getting slimmer. A 3D may be a high MP body perhaps? (which is the only other reason I am skipping the 1DX) - I have a feeling that there is another shoe about to drop, so I figured I'd hedge my bets now with the 5D and wait for a 3D. We'll see.

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2012 14:44 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #514

Eventually, they'll have a lineup that will suit everyone. It's funny because I'm glad this 1DX body doesn't have the super high megapixel count. File sizes get way too big, too much to work with and too much to store. I know memory is cheap, and my current PC is well equipped to handle it all, but for me, it's not necessary. Another case of "to each his own". This 1DX is certainly not for everyone. The 5DIII is certainly not for everyone. The next high MP body the will likely put out will not be for everyone. It will be interesting to see if Canon will treat all of the APS-H fans with another body or if that has run its course as well.

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 13, 2012 14:46 |  #515

Whilst I would think an APS-H in a 50D body would be great I can't see them doing it.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 13, 2012 14:46 |  #516

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14712282 (external link)
Eventually, they'll have a lineup that will suit everyone. It's funny because I'm glad this 1DX body doesn't have the super high megapixel count. File sizes get way too big, too much to work with and too much to store. I know memory is cheap, and my current PC is well equipped to handle it all, but for me, it's not necessary. Another case of "to each his own". This 1DX is certainly not for everyone. The 5DIII is certainly not for everyone. The next high MP body the will likely put out will not be for everyone. It will be interesting to see if Canon will treat all of the APS-H fans with another body or if that has run its course as well.

Chris, what do you shoot normally?

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2012 14:52 |  #517

jdizzle wrote in post #14712290 (external link)
Chris, what do you shoot normally?

I'm a hobbyist and like to shoot everything. Recently, it's predominantly been family/children, as many of my friends have young children, so I get a lot of requests to shoot them. All pro bono, or pro beer. I enjoy sportfishing, so that takes me to some pretty nice locations with nice scenery. Lots of travel photography. My preference would be landscape photography. Definitely not weddings. I've been asked and have declined.

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 13, 2012 14:54 |  #518

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14712319 (external link)
I'm a hobbyist and like to shoot everything. Recently, it's predominantly been family/children, as many of my friends have young children, so I get a lot of requests to shoot them. All pro bono, or pro beer. I enjoy sportfishing, so that takes me to some pretty nice locations with nice scenery. Lots of travel photography. My preference would be landscape photography. Definitely not weddings. I've been asked and have declined.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing some shots from LBI. ;)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 13, 2012 15:25 |  #519

if i had money for a 1dx i would get a 1dx. i see no reason to get a 5d3 if i can afford a 1dx.

get the best your budget can take is my motto. dont know about you lot but thats me.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2012 15:44 |  #520

jdizzle wrote in post #14712327 (external link)
Cool. Looking forward to seeing some shots from LBI. ;)

That would be nice, but I doubt I'll make it to the shore this summer with a 21 month-old and a 3 week-old. We do have a cabin in the Poconos, though, so I should be able to get some shots on the Bushkill Creek.

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,057 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 13, 2012 16:41 |  #521

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14712253 (external link)
I actually prefer the 5D body because of the lack of integrated grip.

I never put a grip on mine.

I love the 1D feel with the grip and the flexibility (and extra battery juice and life) that it provides but it is a bigger camera.

My wife has inhereted the 5D2 and, while she's excited to play with the 1D when she can, she's happy to have less to lug around when we go shooting.

So I can see that point...

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,201 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 13, 2012 20:03 |  #522

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14712253 (external link)
I actually prefer the 5D body because of the lack of integrated grip. It's the most flexible in my mind because I have the choice whether or not I want a grip or not. That's my primary knock against the 1D line actually. I've forever wanted a 1D in a 5D body and with the 5D3, I seem to have gotten most of that wish.

That said, I would love to have the better ISO of the 1DX and I'd be willing to pay for it, if they put it in a compact body and charged a few hundred less than a full size 1DX - maybe calling it a 3D.

But since the 5D3 has become what it is, I think the chances of that are getting slimmer. A 3D may be a high MP body perhaps? (which is the only other reason I am skipping the 1DX) - I have a feeling that there is another shoe about to drop, so I figured I'd hedge my bets now with the 5D and wait for a 3D. We'll see.

100% in agreement Todd. I feel canon made a big mistake by vacating the MKIv and the 1.3 format market....huge hole in their line up at the 5K price point. Many like me will not settle and go back to the 1.6 crop. My guess is that they have something in the works as well. If Nikon gets a jump in sales in this market, they will put something in there. Gonna be interesting to see what develops

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 13, 2012 20:48 |  #523

Heh, anyone who uses high ISO a lot (not me, but lot of people here are the target market) and isn't sure if getting the 1dx over the 5d3 was worth it just needs to look here at this dpreview DR calculation post from a few days ago http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1032&messag​e=41976502 (external link)

Looks worth it to me. My apologies for doing this, /hides (credit to the kind soul who uploaded the raws...again...gah...i​'m so sorry...I just had too):

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

amanathia.zenfolio.com

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,993 posts
Gallery: 230 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 13, 2012 21:51 as a reply to  @ SeverianTL's post |  #524

For those that are lucky enough to have a 1DX is it true you can no longer set the active AF point to show red in the view finder during AF? I love this feature on the 1D4 for low light shooting.

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 13, 2012 22:06 |  #525

STOP THE REDUNDANT 1D/MK3/MK4 RHETORIC AND START POSTING PICS PEOPLE!!!!!

I'd love to hear about the shot posted, and what the photographer could have done better, instead of hearing, over & over again, why they think 1 stop is a 1/2 or 2, blah blah blah.

I like to motion this thread be deleted and start over. GAWD!

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

sponsored links

3,187,070 views & 4,800 likes for this thread
1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.