Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jul 2012 (Monday) 02:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where are the 24mm F2.8 IS reviews?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 14, 2012 09:58 |  #16

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #14715351 (external link)
at this price point, it doesn't make sense, i would rather go for a full manual lens with large aperture than with IS (which is cheaper) if i were to use it for video.

I find handheld video to be pretty bad without some form of stabilisation.

sponsored links
Dillan_K
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2012 10:11 |  #17

smorter wrote in post #14715218 (external link)
You're right, I don't get it...hence why I asked the question

I'm not sure I understand how your analogy relates to. People want sports cars with manual transmission so that they have more control over the gear shift and gives them more of a raw, in control, driving experience. And having manual transmission gives you something that Automatic can't give you. The difference with photography lenses, is that you can always choose to lock your zoom lens at 24/28mm if you want that same "feel" of using a prime...so not sure how being FORCED to use 24/28mm is beneficial at any level?

I use the original 24mm f/2.8, and the main reason I bought it is because it's reasonably sharp, reasonably priced ($600 Canadian at the time) and very pocket-able. At the time, the best alternative was the 24-70L, which is a big, heavy lens. The 24mm f/2.8 I can carry in my pocket. Add a 50mm, and I've got a reasonable, discreet and very light weight walk-around kit. If I was in the market for a small wide angle lens now, I'd be looking at the 24mm f/2.8 IS for sure.

Gear: Canon 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 300mm f/4L IS, 5D, Elan 7, 420EX, Metz 52 AF-1
flickr (external link)

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 14, 2012 10:12 |  #18

mrkgoo wrote in post #14715365 (external link)
I find handheld video to be pretty bad without some form of stabilisation.

how about a stabilizer + a cheap manual focus lens? I mean for good film making, tripod, tracks, and dolly are must.

If it was a budget film and can't afford any of those, then I think $800 is way over the budget.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

MAFarber
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 16, 2012 22:06 |  #19

I'm seriously considering the lens, pending reviews. Here's why -- would love any feedback.

My gear: T3i with Sigma 17-70 macro OS and Canon 70-300 IS USM. Chose T3i over 60D or 7D due to identical image quality, and smaller size/weight for me trumps the feature differences. If all 3 cameras were same price, I would still pick T3i. But the T3i + 17-70 still feels and looks big; attracts attention on the street. So I've been considering a street camera: something like Canon G1X, Fujifilm X100, Sony NEX-7, not the smaller sensors because I routinely print large. But after much consideration, I think the not-quite-rangefinders still have too many compromises.

So I'm hoping that the T3i with the 24mm 2.8 IS is a better, incrementally cheaper, more flexible, and not-much-bigger street camera than the $1200, well-reviewed Fujifilm X100 (fixed 23mm, f2, no IS). I used my T3i with a borrowed 50mm 1.8, and it's a different camera, so small and light. But 50mm is too long on the 1.6X crop factor, and I want the IS. For those who remember Pan-X, Plus-X, Tri-X, IS is the difference (or more) between Pan-X and Tri-X speed -- it's huge. So the old 24mm 2.8 without IS is a non-starter. BTW, I don't do any video.

Any advice?

www.markfarber.viewboo​k.com (external link)

Wissigle
204 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 16, 2012 22:29 |  #20

MAFarber wrote in post #14727090 (external link)
I'm seriously considering the lens, pending reviews. Here's why -- would love any feedback.

My gear: T3i with Sigma 17-70 macro OS and Canon 70-300 IS USM. Chose T3i over 60D or 7D due to identical image quality, and smaller size/weight for me trumps the feature differences. If all 3 cameras were same price, I would still pick T3i. But the T3i + 17-70 still feels and looks big; attracts attention on the street. So I've been considering a street camera: something like Canon G1X, Fujifilm X100, Sony NEX-7, not the smaller sensors because I routinely print large. But after much consideration, I think the not-quite-rangefinders still have too many compromises.

So I'm hoping that the T3i with the 24mm 2.8 IS is a better, incrementally cheaper, more flexible, and not-much-bigger street camera than the $1200, well-reviewed Fujifilm X100 (fixed 23mm, f2, no IS). I used my T3i with a borrowed 50mm 1.8, and it's a different camera, so small and light. But 50mm is too long on the 1.6X crop factor, and I want the IS. For those who remember Pan-X, Plus-X, Tri-X, IS is the difference (or more) between Pan-X and Tri-X speed -- it's huge. So the old 24mm 2.8 without IS is a non-starter. BTW, I don't do any video.

Any advice?

It would be interesting to compare the weight / size of the t3i plus 24IS to a 5D plus 40mm pancake. Full frame and pancake has just become remarkably portable.

But to answer your question. I wouldn't be able to justify the 24IS price when I could have the 17-55 for more or less the same price... So personally I wouldn't go for it, but horses for courses...

Wissigle
Gear

WireWess
160 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 03:46 |  #21

And what about the 28mm version of this lens, it seems totally missed out on Canons big launch of these lenses ? :P

My RAZZI (external link) && Flickr (external link)

gblader
361 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 17, 2012 10:32 |  #22

WireWess wrote in post #14727997 (external link)
And what about the 28mm version of this lens, it seems totally missed out on Canons big launch of these lenses ? :P

I hate to relay rumors, but I heard the 28 is kinda soft-pls don't hold me to it, but some members on here were saying their tests came out so...

7D 15-85 100f2

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 17, 2012 11:03 |  #23

MAFarber wrote in post #14727090 (external link)

Any advice?

if you're on a crop i don't see any reason to consider theses lenses...you say you need IS, but the only time IS is really helping you here is if you're shooting slower than 1/30...something like a 35f2 or 28f1.8 would give you at least a stop more light, which is what i'd consider over a slow prime that can be covered by a cheaper f2.8 zoom...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

MAFarber
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 17, 2012 18:01 |  #24

Dre: Thanks for the comment. You're right that I only need IS when I'm at f2.8 1/30" and still need more. I often want faster than 1/30 for street shots because things are moving.

In these cases, choices are:
1) Canon f2.8 with IS: $850, 10 oz, 2.7" dia 2.2" long
2) Canon f1.4 without IS: $1630, 23 oz, 3.3" dia 3.4" long

The faster lens buys 2 stops (f1.4 to f2.8), whereas the IS buys 2-3 stops. And I'm hoping that the slow lens at f2.8 at 1/8" with IS is sharper than the fast lens at f1.4 at 1/30" without IS, but jury still out.

I also agree that my current zoom already gets me a perfectly usable f2.8 with IS, but the 24mm f2.8 prime solves my small, light, street-camera problem.

sponsored links

4,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where are the 24mm F2.8 IS reviews?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.