Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 04:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Share your Craigslist Experiences

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 15, 2012 04:04 |  #1

Everyone has to start some place in professional photography. It takes time to build up a good portfolio and word of mouth referrals.

As I will be transferring out of the Middle East later this year where I was in a more of a Staff Photographer role and plan to do more freelance type work in the US in the future. I look to where I might be finding my next photo gig.

Although I have no first hand experience I am curious to know of others good and bad experiences with using Craigslist. No doubt CL is the low end of professional photography but I see opportunities where it could lead to repeat business in some of the adds. There are also many instances of people wanting photos an entire wedding or special event and expect to only pay 50 bucks or even free.

I was wondering if some POTN members could share their past experiences (good or bad) with Craigslist ads.

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2012 06:00 |  #2

So far all I've gotten from Craigslist is freebies (TFCD) and SPAM. Not a real good money maker for anything really.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

mosabi
376 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 15, 2012 08:49 |  #3

I have never posted my business on Craigslist however I have looked before to see what gets posted. I found someone looking for a photographer last year and I replied to her advertisement. Since then I have photographed her family twice and 2 other families she does daycare for. She has got me more business than anyone else has. So it was relatively good for me you might say. For the record most all of my business comes from Facebook. If you don't have a Facebook page that would be a pretty good idea.

I'm just not a big fan of all the spam that you get when posting something on CL.

Best of luck to you

www.nickluchau.zenfoli​o.com (external link)
40Dx2 gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 430ex II

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 15, 2012 10:59 |  #4

This is my first wedding season, put my first ad in CL in May, and have put 3 more ads up in that time and I've booked 6 weddings for this year and 1 for next year. I'm also a second shooter for 6 other weddings this year, which I got from replying to an ad on CL. Yes, I started out VERY cheap but I'm increasing my prices by about $150 after every 3rd wedding booked, so hopefully as the year goes on and word of mouth spreads from these weddings I'll be in my ideal price range.

I got my first spam email (sign up for yellow pages ads!) yesterday. I think using CL really depends on the area you're living. I'm in a small state, in the largest city of 200,000 people, and hardly anyone uses internet resources (yelp, the knot, wedding bee, there are only 2 Vermont wedding blogs..) for finding wedding photographers. It's all word of mouth and CL. I check the ads from other photographers and each day there's about 4 ads from established pros, 2 from up and comers, and 1 or 2 people who just plain suck.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2012 11:16 |  #5

I used craigslist for my first few shoots (2 weddings, a small corporate party) and then gravitated to kijiji--a Canadian version of craigslist that seems to be growing in popularity. I've booked probably 20 weddings from that. The cost of advertising: $0.

I think craigslist and similar sites can provide fantastic opportunities for up-and-comers whose main goal is building a portfolio and not worrying too much about the $. Once you're past the $1200 zone or thereabouts (for weddings in my case), interest drops off a fair bit. The key is to use this avenue while growing your portfolio and experience and then to gradually shift your marketing strategy to include other avenues.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

BaghdadFred
THREAD ­ STARTER
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 15, 2012 13:13 |  #6

Besides posting your own adds, I see plenty of adds of people requesting photography services. I am in a pretty massive market (LA, Orange County) however its also quite saturated with photographers. My hope would be to maybe hook up with some established studios and start doing wedding and events PT.

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

Looony2nz
162 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 16, 2012 08:45 as a reply to  @ BaghdadFred's post |  #7

for the past 2 years, about 99% of our business has come from Craigslist. We are a part time / weekends family photographer and for the most part, we have only met the nicest people !

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 16, 2012 10:27 |  #8

People rarely use the yellow pages anymore, so sites like CL have their place. I've mentioned before that my ex wife gets a lot of her clients for art work from CL.I've sold and bought a ton of stuff on there and have seen plenty of job offerings. It's free, so what have you got to lose?

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 16, 2012 22:00 |  #9

How successful Craigslist is depends entirely on how active it is in your area. When I was in San Diego I could post and get paying clients minutes after posting. In my new market it's not as active, but I still got two paying clients within a day of posting an ad when I was getting ready to relocate up there. But in some other areas I know Craigslist is just not used, no one looks there for anything, and therefor it won't work for advertising. And in some areas it's full of free-loaders and spammers.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 16, 2012 23:05 |  #10

The funniest CL story I have is finding a date on CL who happened to direct publication at a travel agency. When asked "Have you ever been to Europe" the answer was "Yes". Well, Monday bring in your best work. I licensed 6 images for $6k on that one contact. We never did date.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 17, 2012 09:27 |  #11

Never got any business from CL. They are likely to not pay a working wage and offer referrals that I don't want.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 17, 2012 09:50 |  #12

From what I've seen, CL seems to vary a lot depending on what area you're in. IME, I've had good luck with CL and have received numerous paying clients that were an absolute joy to work with. I guess one of the best things about CL is that it's free so it doesn't hurt to post up an add and keep it running to see if it brings in anything.

plawren53202
180 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 18, 2012 11:40 |  #13

After reading this thread, I decided to give it a go. No risk other than getting some annoying spam replies. Just posted an ad, first time. I will report back if I have any significant luck with it.

My quite modest little gear list: 50D gripped | 135L | 50 1.4 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28-105 3.5-4.5 | Speedlite 420EX | 2 Yongnuo 460ii | stands, 2 umbrellas, one softbox
http://www.facebook.co​m/TreyLawrencePhotogra​phy (external link)
http://www.zenfolio.co​m/treylawrencephotogra​phy (external link)

Glueeater
598 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 19, 2012 14:12 |  #14

I'll be posting a wedding I got off Craigslist shortly. I've only had 2 gigs of 5 contacts follow through on CL.

FLICKR (external link) // Portfolio (external link)5Diii + 5Dii + 60D | canon17-40/4.0 | | sigma35/1.4 | sigma50/1.4 | sigma85/1.4 | canon70-200/2.8 | yn565+568

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 19, 2012 14:29 |  #15

^sounds like a really good follow-through rate to me. I'll be looking for the photos.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,787 views & 0 likes for this thread
Share your Craigslist Experiences
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.