Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 11:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PWM Sine Inverter for Alien Bees?

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 15, 2012 11:36 |  #1

Looking for help since I have no clue when it comes to electronics and inverters.

What I do know is Alien Bees require a pure sine inverter....or so the rumor goes.

Long story short (I deleted my long story, so you can thank me later for not putting you through that misery), I will be building my own power pack for my Alien Bees. It will be a cart style system and will be heavy but will also tote most of our gear. Within in will be a stereo system and some other household current electronics outside the equipment we use.

I have access to an endless supply of 75ah sealed batteries so the battery source is not an issue.

Here is my question taking into consideration AB's require a pure sine inverter.

I was given a Tripp lite 1000w PWM inverter. Looking it up it says it delivers a PWM sine wave. I of course figured the P stood for Pure.....but that is not what PWM stands for. While searching for what PWM stands for, I found where this style inverter delivers a pure sine wave, but the inverter page itself does not say pure sine wave.

So what is PWM and is it usable with a Alien Bee strobe?

If it won't work, it won't work. I guess why I am confused is a normal modified wave inverter costs 30-50 bucks. This one shows costing upwards of $200 with a msrp of around $285.....way more than a modified wave and slightly less than top of the line pure sine wave. Also, I see on tripp lite site that they sell pure sine inverters so I guess that answers my question.

But, the issue of a PWM sine inverter hasn't been brought up that I can fine, only don't use a modified wave inverter...aka el cheapo.

Thanks in advance. Below is the information from the manufacturer about the inverter I have.

http://www.tripplite.c​om …iesID=816&txtMo​delID=2905 (external link)

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

sponsored links
kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 15, 2012 12:55 |  #2

cbknight wrote in post #14719415 (external link)
I of course figured the P stood for Pure.....but that is not what PWM stands for. While searching for what PWM stands for, I found where this style inverter delivers a pure sine wave

No it doesn't.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation. AKA, stepped sine wave.
It's an engineering term...

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

cbknight
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 15, 2012 14:58 |  #3

Pure Sine Inverter For Alien Bees

What Inverter are yall you using?

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

questionmarc
835 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 15, 2012 15:29 as a reply to  @ cbknight's post |  #4

vagabond

60D, 5DmkIII, 50 f1.8
Facebook Page (external link)
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

cbknight
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 15, 2012 15:39 |  #5

questionmarc wrote in post #14720301 (external link)
vagabond

Thanks....that's not an inverter...that's a power pack with an inverter component inside.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 15, 2012 20:10 |  #6

I've previously used a Samlex 300w 12v inverter w/ an 8ah or so SLA. It worked great, but was damn heavy compared to the VLM I use now. Its not posted, but it is available.

Jomax
71 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 16, 2012 22:33 as a reply to  @ MrScott's post |  #7

I'm using a 600 watt samlex with a 35 Amp hr battery, works great, I can shoot my einstein at full power with the modeling light on without issues, Heavy as hell though, I have a hook on one end of the box and use it as a anchor for my PLM. Be sure to get a converter that is compatible, here's a link on a very good DIY
http://forums.dpreview​.com …ortable+Power+S​upply&qf=m (external link)

5D Mark III | 7D | EFS 15-85 IS | EFS 17-55 IS | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200L IS Mark II | EF 40 2.8 | EF 100-400L | 85 1.2L |24 70 2.8L II | 2x Einsteins | 2x EX580's |Cyber Commander|Cactus 5's|

sponsored links

2,110 views & 0 likes for this thread
PWM Sine Inverter for Alien Bees?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.