Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 03 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 16:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wanting to improve my shots!

lvph2
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 03, 2012 16:36 |  #1

I'll be doing a shoot this Sunday with a Couple and their 17 month old. Location will be out doors at a nice blueberry farm. It has a big shaded area with seating, logs, etc.

I also have a reflector and 580EX II flash. Still not comfortable with the flash yet and wondering how/if it can help me here. Any tips or examples would be appreciated.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 05, 2012 13:28 |  #2

The shaded area is going to help you a lot, so take your pictures in the shade to keep things simple. Ask someone to be your "test subject" and take a few shots without flash to see if you're happy with the results. If you think the images could use more light then put that 580 on your camera's hot shoe, point it up, pull out the built-in white bounce card, and fire away. The light will bounce off the white card and will hit your subjects with a softer light.

The reflector can be used to reflect ambient light (e.g. sunlight) to the subjects if you take pictures outside of the shade and need some fill light.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

mosabi
376 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 15, 2012 12:53 |  #3

I very much dislike shooting out in the open with sun directly on the subject. Shaded areas are perfect if you can find the right spot you can get some nice catch lights in the eyes. Have your subject look slightly up, this will help.

If you look at my website, 99% of the pictures that are taken outdoors are taken without a flash. The location you mentioned sounds like a great one.

AvailableLight offered some great advice if you intend on using flash/reflectors. I'd probably use a reflector before a flash. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

www.nickluchau.zenfoli​o.com (external link)
40Dx2 gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 430ex II

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 15, 2012 20:18 |  #4

Thanks for the input guys. Here are the results

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1204903

I think I actually used flash on all but the last pic. But, even the flash ones turned out well I think?

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

Photographersydney
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 16, 2012 07:33 |  #5

Hi Valencia ,
This is nice photos , It is really nice photo
http://i1170.photobuck​et.com …alenciaphoto/IM​G_9330.png (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,016 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wanting to improve my shots!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.