Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 22:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time buying a Canon 1DX or flagship camera...does Canon always do this?

ab2.
95 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 15, 2012 22:38 |  #1

It's been over two months since I placed my order for the Canon 1DX. I still don't have it and I sold my Canon 5D II so it's killing me not having a camera to use. Does Canon do this a lot when they launch a new flagship camera and make their customers wait this long? I know there are more people out there that have been waiting longer than me, but it seems a little silly to hype this camera and say oh, you can't have it. :cry:

Still waiting from B&H and don't know if they will get it before my local camera shop will. I have no idea where I am on the list and they won't tell me. So I am # 5 right now at my local shop.

Canon 1DX

sponsored links
Bond_Savingsbond
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 15, 2012 23:14 |  #2

Most highly anticipated new tech is like this. Good example is Wii when it first came out. From what people say, the smaller stores have a shorter waiting line.

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 16, 2012 00:45 |  #3

Sell your 5D II after you get a delivery notice. They won't charge your credit card until it is in stock and ready to ship. What was your goal for selling your camera right away?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 16, 2012 03:11 |  #4

ab2. wrote in post #14721849 (external link)
It's been over two months since I placed my order for the Canon 1DX. I still don't have it and I sold my Canon 5D II so it's killing me not having a camera to use. Does Canon do this a lot when they launch a new flagship camera and make their customers wait this long? I know there are more people out there that have been waiting longer than me, but it seems a little silly to hype this camera and say oh, you can't have it. :cry:

Still waiting from B&H and don't know if they will get it before my local camera shop will. I have no idea where I am on the list and they won't tell me. So I am # 5 right now at my local shop.

Well in all fairness, Canon did not force you to sell your 5DII. ;)

Dont worry, yours will come soon enough and when it does it will probably be one of the best days that you have had in recent memory. :)

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 16, 2012 12:37 |  #5

The 1dx didn't have a supply build up like the 5diii did...and even still the 5d had shortages LOL

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2012 12:40 |  #6

I waited a long time for my 5D2 - it came the same day I was packing my car for going on vacation :)

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 16, 2012 12:41 |  #7

I'd like to feel bad for you... but I just can't muster the energy to do so. :lol:

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a huge assumption but it seems photography is not your bread-n-butter day job. Else you wouldn't have gone camera-less.

Hang in there, B&H (or someone else) will eventually have a 1DX for you. Good thing comes to those who wait. And for those who can't wait, there are other cameras one could buy/rent to hold you over. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

ckweddingphoto
35 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 16, 2012 15:37 |  #8

I think its a pretty common thing for all camera manufacturers. My assistant waited 5.5 months for her D4.

ab2.
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 19, 2012 18:44 |  #9

I finally got my Canon 1DX today but not from B&H as I originally wanted to to save on Tax. A local store here had gotten some in and I grabbed one. Unfortunately I had to pay 6% sales tax on it. B&H would not tell me where I was in line so I cancelled my order with them since there was no telling how long it would be.

Canon 1DX

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 19, 2012 18:46 |  #10

you are also competing with all of the photographers heading out to the olympics that may be using the 1dX. And I am not just talking about supply for the photographers themselves, but also remotes.

David W.

swldstn
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2012 22:20 |  #11

Was in B & H yesterday and they claim they are starting to fill preorders but until they are done you can not purchase at the store.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 20, 2012 00:27 |  #12

ab2. wrote in post #14721849 (external link)

I guess I'll shake my head like others have at the fact that you sold your current camera out from under yourself to order a camera that you had no firm delivery date for.

Is it just me or does this not make good sense?

Canon isn'y playing games with hyping the camera and then not letting you have it. Obviously between the Olympics and just plain getting the production line up to speed they're doing it as quickly as possible while still turning out a working product.

The old saying is "you want it fast or you want it good?"

How much more would you be complaining if they rushed the camera out the door just to make others like yourself happy and then ended up missing a bug or problem, and you ended up having to send yours back for adjustment or replacement?

What Canon DOES always do is try to get it right the first time before letting a new product out the door. They aren't perfect, there have been some mishaps like the 1D3, but even then they stepped up, fixed the problem as quickly as possible, even paying the freight both ways and providing overnight shipping to fix the problem. I call that darn good customer service. And perhaps the memory of that model makes them even more determined to not let it happen again. Maybe some appreciation is in order instead of complaining because of a situation you put yourself in

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 20, 2012 00:31 |  #13

it's not Canon, try ordering one of the new Nikons.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 20, 2012 01:37 |  #14

pwm2 wrote in post #14724356 (external link)
I waited a long time for my 5D2 - it came the same day I was packing my car for going on vacation :)

That must have been a pretty awesome feeling.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 20, 2012 04:36 |  #15

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14743257 (external link)
That must have been a pretty awesome feeling.

Yes - I had given up and where just at camera shop to split the order and get the other items when I got the info that they had just got a new shipment. And when I got home, I had a mail about the camera that they sent out maybe an hour before I visited them but hadn't seen.

It was a great vacation - perfect with vacations to learn to get the most out of a new camera :)

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

4,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time buying a Canon 1DX or flagship camera...does Canon always do this?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.