Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jul 2012 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 08:35 |  #1

I have no idea where to post this - hardly just the sports section:

It's apparently illegal to post your Olympics events photos to Facebook - at least illegal for Brits.

kernelmag wrote:
="kernelmag"]Ultimatel​y, the ban on chips in the vicinity of the Olympic Park is a comical irritant, rather than cause for serious alarm. Rather, it’s the restrictions on ordinary freedom of speech and assembly, which have been subsumed to the demands of the Olympic beast, that should worry us.

To give you one example: while ticket-holders are permitted to take photographs of the events they attend, they are forbidden from sharing those pictures on social networks. Yes, really.

I need hardly tell you that Britain’s naturally mischievous and technologically savvy populace will not take kindly to such heavy-handed prescriptions. The Kernel would never endorse or encourage illegal activity, but we have to ask the question: if every guest were to disobey these draconian social media injunctions, would LOCOG go after them all?

read it here (external link)

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

sponsored links
Rainyday
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 16, 2012 08:41 |  #2

Seems pretty extreme to me. The professionals already have a ton of cameras being used to photograph events, what the heck is wrong with allowing the spectators some fun with their cameras?

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 08:46 |  #3

Rainyday wrote in post #14723374 (external link)
Seems pretty extreme to me. The professionals already have a ton of cameras being used to photograph events, what the heck is wrong with allowing the spectators some fun with their cameras?

Don't worry. You aren't allowed in with anything measuring over 30cm or a monopod to any events.

The football {that's soccer} excludes any camera with interchangeable lenses.

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 16, 2012 08:53 |  #4

WTH??? Sheesh!

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 09:02 as a reply to  @ AvailableLight's post |  #5

popphoto wrote:
="popphoto"] For example, Wembley stadium, which will host soccer events, will prohibit any kind of "professional-style cameras (any camera with interchangeable lenses) or recording/transmitting devices." In other words, these rules mean that all DSLRs, as well as mirror less, compact interchangeable lens cameras manufactured by Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Samsung, Pentax and Olympus are also banned.

Read it here (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 16, 2012 09:09 |  #6

They are, indeed, being ridiculous. Ah, the English (or more likely the Americans) and their stuffy rules on anything that might stifle the money exchange.

Whatever.

I love watching the Olympics and admire the work the athletes put into their craft, but in the end it's just games that people play against each other for fun. To take it so seriously is silly, in my opinion, and aside from what the athletes may do later in life, the pursuit of Olympic gold is not what most would consider a selfless pursuit.

Amazing how worked up people get over recreational activities.

My point being that they shouldn't care one flip if people take all the photos they want (provided they aren't standing up in front of fellow spectators).

Stuff em. Just put a 100-400L (extended and locked) in your jeans (the tightest ones you can find) and saunter in there with the smallest point and shoot you can find hanging around your neck.

And make sure your top three shirt buttons are undone/ add mascara to your chest hair.

Works every time.

Thank you. bw!

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 09:12 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #7

Is that a Canon in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 16, 2012 09:30 |  #8

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14723481 (external link)
They are, indeed, being ridiculous. Ah, the English (or more likely the Americans) and their stuffy rules on anything that might stifle the money exchange.

Whatever.

I love watching the Olympics and admire the work the athletes put into their craft, but in the end it's just games that people play against each other for fun. To take it so seriously is silly, in my opinion, and aside from what the athletes may do later in life, the pursuit of Olympic gold is not what most would consider a selfless pursuit.

My point being that they shouldn't care one flip if people take all the photos they want (provided they aren't standing up in front of fellow spectators).

Agree 100%.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,648 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 16, 2012 09:31 |  #9

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14723450 (external link)
Read it here (external link)

Wow. I've got a friend going over, he's a photographer. This will not make him happy.

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 09:38 |  #10

rick_reno wrote in post #14723555 (external link)
Wow. I've got a friend going over, he's a photographer. This will not make him happy.

Well the general view seems to be leave the monopod and ignore the rest.

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 16, 2012 09:55 as a reply to  @ Simon_Gardner's post |  #11

Whatever.

Stuff em. Just put a 100-400L (extended and locked) in your jeans (the tightest ones you can find) and saunter in there with the smallest point and shoot you can find hanging around your neck.

And make sure your top three shirt buttons are undone/ add mascara to your chest hair.

Works every time.

I don't think the restrictions on photography are anything new - there have been venues with similar ones before.

As for the other restrictions re fries etc, that is down to the official sponsorship deals. I know of a few businesses that have been involved in the building process but unless they pay a large amount of money they are not allowed to call themselves Olympic suppliers.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 16, 2012 09:59 |  #12

Excuse my french, but ****ing hell.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 16, 2012 10:12 |  #13

...(or more likely the Americans)...

?????????

Tom

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 16, 2012 10:18 |  #14

Just put a 100-400L ...in your jeans (the tightest ones you can find) and saunter in there...

Are you happy to see me ... or is that just an EF 100-400L? ...:)

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 16, 2012 10:38 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14723392 (external link)
Don't worry. You aren't allowed in with anything measuring over 30cm or a monopod to any events.

The football {that's soccer} excludes any camera with interchangeable lenses.

Its something to do with copyright (football)

I think security is in the uppermost thought of officials. Doesn't make sense to make people not post photos on facebook. But then again Facebook has been using other people's photos for no reason whatsoever, so the latter may be the case rather than the security issues

sponsored links

18,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.