Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jul 2012 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 10:54 |  #16

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #14723855 (external link)
But then again Facebook has been using other people's photos for no reason whatsoever, so the latter may be the case rather than the security issues

The Daily Mail online is notorious for stealing people's work off Facebook and then publishing them without payment and without asking. On one recent occasion the excuse was 'We thought you'd welcome the publicity'.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

sponsored links
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 16, 2012 11:05 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14723914 (external link)
The Daily Mail online is notorious for stealing people's work off Facebook and then publishing them without payment and without asking. On one recent occasion the excuse was 'We thought you'd welcome the publicity'.

Really? Wow, even I didn't know that. Things must be hard for the Daily Mail these days

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2012 11:08 |  #18

rick_reno wrote in post #14723555 (external link)
Wow. I've got a friend going over, he's a photographer. This will not make him happy.

Is he credentialed media or simply a spectator?

If he's the former, he or his publication has paid rights fees for him to be there and there won't be a problem.

If he's the latter, he's not media. He's simply someone attending the games who wants to take pictures.

Oh, and for those of you saying "Must be an American thing..." GFY...

Last time I looked, the games are in London and IOC headquarters is in Switzerland.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 16, 2012 11:44 |  #19

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14723974 (external link)
Oh, and for those of you saying "Must be an American thing..." GFY...

Before this thread goes out of whack, the way I read Mike's post, he was simply establishing how similar the UK and USA have become, in a "Big Brother" kind of way. I hope that's what he meant.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 11:49 |  #20

AvailableLight wrote in post #14724115 (external link)
Before this thread goes out of whack, the way I read Mike's post, he was simply establishing how similar the UK and USA have become, in a "Big Brother" kind of way. I hope that's what he meant.

It's the IOC that has got totally out of control and that's been the case for 20-odd years.

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 16, 2012 11:57 |  #21

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14724139 (external link)
It's the IOC that has got totally out of control and that's been the case for 20-odd years.

That is very true. Out of control in every way. I remember reading stories about IOC members getting paid vacations, etc for them and their families, from countries looking to host the Olympics. Stuff that screamed "ethical code violation" to me.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2012 11:57 |  #22

For those who are experiencing their first Olympics under the veil of being a "photographer," understand that the IOC owns the rights to the "pictures, descriptions and accounts" of the games.

Entities wishing to cover the games pay to be "rights holders" (and this includes still photographers as well as TV) Being a rights holder opens doors but it also imposes whatever restrictions the IOC feels are necessary to uphold their brand and to keep their sponsors happy.

If one of the restrictions is "No Social Media" then you, as a publisher, have to ask yourself if that's too heavy a burden and therefore, you choose to not cover the games.

Frankly, I find camera restrictions on Joe Public to be silly given how fast the agencies can now push stuff to the web. There's simply no competition really.

As for the security thing, I've never lived where people have had their morning commute cut short because their bus exploded so I'll defer to those charged with keeping a similar thing from happening at Gymnastics or Track & Field.

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,663 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 16, 2012 12:03 |  #23

For the average Brit outside London the O£ympics( not a spelling error!) are a corporate rip off,you can't get tickets to see your sport,I could get tickets for a round of beach volleyball-I,m an Archer I want to watch Archery!
You will get ripped off for food and can't take photos and now the security is up s***t creek.
Just glad I don't live in London or buy lottery tickets or I would be really p***** off.

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 12:13 |  #24

It's happening mostly about 50 miles away from me but when I saw the restriction on non-accredited gear many months ago, I decided not to go near the thing. I haven't got a decent telephoto that is that physically short and no way am I handholding one anyway. It's just not what I do.

So thanks but no thanks.

But I thought this new no-social-media thing was just taking the piss. No way is that going to work.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2012 12:17 |  #25

It can't possibly work Vs the general public but it can be a precondition of media accreditation.

If the IOC sees any accredited entity sharing on social media, they won't be accredited any more.

Jay

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 16, 2012 14:17 |  #26

You mean people actually have to sit and watch the games/sports instead of playing PJ? Shocking.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 16, 2012 14:44 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #27

It's not like anyone in the stands will shoot a marketable photo, but rather it's the evolution of "fear of fotos" which has spread across the globe. Hell, in London no one could snap a pic anyway without being videoed on a government camera.

But if you want to point a finger, swing it in the direction of the attorneys. I suggest there's your answer.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 16, 2012 14:49 |  #28

There have been quotes from the IOC posted in the past few weeks that say this is simply not the case. People can post tpo FB etc. What they cannot do is use their phone as a mobile hotspot in order to upload photos.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 16, 2012 15:06 |  #29

AvailableLight wrote in post #14724115 (external link)

Hey, I'm a born and raised, flag-flying American (seriously, there's a huge flag flying from the post next to my front door and a large Georgia flag on the wall of my garage). I love this country and have no intention of moving anywhere else.

But the USA and the UK have stuffy rules about a lot of stuff. I never intended that statement to be political, simply an observation that annoys me. It's give and take. Freedom is an interesting concept, applied in various ways throughout the world.

For example, in Mexico (I've been there many times throughout my life), and particularly in Baja California your building code is basically what your budget can afford. You want to put up a fence, build a shed, at another level to your house? Ah, go for it. Just consider that the ground moves once in a while....or don't worry about it.

You want to ride a horse on the beach, drink a beer while doing it and then throw up a tent to sleep there overnight? Go for it.

However, hold your tongue when it comes to politics and know your place in society. Say the wrong thing and before you know it your head (along with your family's heads) will be impounded (the rest you can keep).

In America you can say what you want (short of threats or "fire-in-a-theater" types of comments) and you'll never have to worry about disappearing in the middle of the night. People whine and complain here all day. Heck, people get paid millions of dollars to whine on the radio and TV.

But God forbid you build a campfire on the beach, drink a beer in the park, or bring a DSLR into a sporting event.

That's all I'm saying. Stuffy, overbearing rules that aren't necessary. Heck, if they want to ban photography at Olympic events they might want to look at the people they hire to take the official portraits of the athletes. ;)

The way I look at it is this: They don't mind taking your money for tickets, but once in the house (or stadium) they literally want to own everything but your bladder. You must buy their food, their drinks, etc. Heck, they might as well set up a pharmacy with inflated prices for the diabetics and then disallow you to bring your own medicines. Outlaw hats (could be a bomb in there) and then sell them in the gift shop.

For that matter, make them buy overpriced bottled water (five-bottle minimum per person) and then charge them 10 pounds per toilet visit.

:)

Did someone really tell me to go FYS?

I don't think POTN has a thread for that kind of photography. ;)

Thank you. bw!

MidnightUK
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 16, 2012 15:26 |  #30

Its beginning to look almost too risky to take any thing at all.

Things that transmit have been banned, so presumably mobile phones might not be permitted. A friend insane/optimistic enough to buy tickets has received emails saying that if spectators at Cardiff stadium (football) take any kind of bag, they may not get to see any sport at all as the expected queues for 'searching' will take longer to go through than the event, so it will be over while you are still in the queue - even with the demand that all spectators arrive at least 2 hours before the start of any event. My friend is considering scrapping her tickets as the attitude and communications from the Olympic organisers are very negative with a very unfriendly tone on top of the unreasonable rules.

It is also not really safe to take a camera as if it is confiscated you will NEVER have it returned. The rules on what cameras will be confiscated are increasingly vague... according to Petapixel a spokesperson said:

"“it would be impractical to publish a definitive list of cameras and lenses that would, or would not, meet the requirements.” According to the same spokesman, LOCOG is leaving it up to attendees to have “sufficient technical knowledge to sense what would and would not be allowed…”
http://www.petapixel.c​om …larify-photography-rules/ (external link)

So you are left guessing if your equipment will be taken and as the security guard training is clearly up the creek (see any Bristish newspaper report this week) the chances of guards making random refusals is very high.

See also British Journal of Photography article

"Olympics organisers refuse to clarify photography rules ahead of Games"

"When asked whether security officers had been briefed on the differences between non-professional and professional photographic equipment, the spokesman did not respond."
http://www.bjp-online.com …tography-rules-in-advance (external link)

I cannot stress how many British people are embarrassed, disgusted and ashamed of the organisation of the Olympics and also the naked greed and social climbing being shown by its organisers and sponsors.

People directly involved have been made to sign confidentiality agreements so cannot comment on the shambles or I think even more awful info would be coming out.

I feel I should apologise for my country to be honest as I feel ashamed of the whole Olympic process here.

sponsored links

15,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.