Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AF problems with your 40mm Pancake? Please post your Serial Number.

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 16, 2012 20:49 |  #76

I wouldn't put my lens in the red catergory. I forced the issue to happen, it didn't happen on its own. I'll need time to tell if the lens will not work on its own.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

sponsored links
mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 16, 2012 21:41 |  #77

Gribok wrote in post #14726674 (external link)
Bought this lens right before a 3 week vacation to Spain. I only brought with me the 40mm and my old 28-135mm IS, since I didn't want to bring my camera bag. I ended up keeping the 40mm on the entire time. Great lens!

With over 4000 shots I only had this issue once, towards the end of my trip. I thought my old camera was dying. My fix was to turn off the camera and take the battery out. I'm wondering if this may be a better option than to remove the lens.

Camera is 5D1, the 40mm is 902120xxxx.

Also, I noticed that I moved the barrel once when trying to take a filter off the lens, but that was not when I had the issue. I remember thinking about it when I had the issue and trying to remember if I moved the barrel or not just prior, and I'm pretty sure I did not.

somebody should check this fix ... less of a hassle than unmounting and remounting

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

astrobrian
221 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 22:33 as a reply to  @ post 14682905 |  #78

90212014xx - no issues as of yet on 7d

http://papkephotograph​y.com/ (external link)
@photogbrian
Gripped 7D,5D2, and 50D, 580EXii, 2 Speedlite 270EXs, PocketWizard TT1 and 2 TT5's, Manfroto monopod & 2 tripods, BlackRapid dual harness, 16-35mm L, 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L, 100-400mm L, 100mm L Macro,300mm L, 85mm F2.8, Nifty 50, Shorty 40, Sigma 8-16mm

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 17, 2012 00:03 |  #79

Gribok wrote in post #14726674 (external link)
Bought this lens right before a 3 week vacation to Spain. I only brought with me the 40mm and my old 28-135mm IS, since I didn't want to bring my camera bag. I ended up keeping the 40mm on the entire time. Great lens!

With over 4000 shots I only had this issue once, towards the end of my trip. I thought my old camera was dying. My fix was to turn off the camera and take the battery out. I'm wondering if this may be a better option than to remove the lens.

Camera is 5D1, the 40mm is 902120xxxx.

Also, I noticed that I moved the barrel once when trying to take a filter off the lens, but that was not when I had the issue. I remember thinking about it when I had the issue and trying to remember if I moved the barrel or not just prior, and I'm pretty sure I did not.

Thanks for your post and suggestion, would be nice if a turn off/battery out would solve it! Also..welcome to the forum! :)

kawi_200 wrote in post #14726708 (external link)
I wouldn't put my lens in the red catergory. I forced the issue to happen, it didn't happen on its own. I'll need time to tell if the lens will not work on its own.

Fair enough, I didn't feel right putting it into the red category anyways haha...it's in the green now!

astrobrian wrote in post #14727183 (external link)
90212014xx - no issues as of yet on 7d

Thanks!

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2012 00:37 |  #80

I'm not sure it's appropriate to flag kawi's copy as 'green' either. I mean his lens HAS shown the issue. Whether it was forced or not doesn't matter, His lens is capable of the issue. After all, I think people have also tried to push the lens to see te issue an nothing has happened.

Also, I've previously mentione wither a proper power cycling with removig the battery would resolve the issue a well, seeing as cameras are not fully powered down when in off (at least in the case of the 7d, the viewfinder remains active until the battery is removed).

I also disagree that removing a battery is any easier than just twisting an twisting back the lens, though I admit there's less chance of dropping your lens or body.

I've been meanin to test this very thing, but I have yet to encounter the error
Again. I note that the 'grindy' feel tothe mount has gone (perhaps that was a symptom
Of a not quite perfect fit leading to poor contact ofthr contacts, now ok after a few mounts?). In addition I now prefer to turn my camera to off now when storing. Previously I would just let it sleep, possibly one of the conditions or the lens to 'not wake'.

Also, just as a note to people who like to store their lens retracted, while in AF, youvan stick the cap on and half press to focus an the lens will do one cycle of hunting - out then back in. Just I you can't be bothered to flip it to manual, half press to wake an turn it to infinity.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 17, 2012 02:32 |  #81

Early posts in the main 40mm thread suggests removing the battery didn't help. I know it didn't help me.
Saying that maybe under certain situations it might work.

So far it's only happened once to me, and I've started to use my other lenses again so it's been on and off my camera quite a bit. I'm not going to force the issue but I've also made a point of not being over careful with it, just to see if it does happen again and why.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

josupi
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 12:21 as a reply to  @ dave_bass5's post |  #82

No issues for the last two weeks

Seems to be working flawlessly after the first 5 to 10 mountings when it happened 3 or 4 times.

Good luck with your copies.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 19, 2012 18:03 |  #83

Maybe they just need to be "broken in" haha

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 19, 2012 18:09 |  #84

No problem with my Pancake since I got it yesterday. Have not had it lock up or anything.

Using with 5D3 and serial is 9021106xxx

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 19, 2012 18:13 |  #85
bannedPermanent ban

Invertalon wrote in post #14741626 (external link)
No problem with my Pancake since I got it yesterday. Have not had it lock up or anything.

Using with 5D3 and serial is 9021106xxx

Can i ask for a favor? Can you post a shot of using this 40mm at 2.8 on your 5D3 at 10k ISO? I just wanna see how noisy it'll be when using this in low light for a walkaround. I'm thinking of getting a 5D3 soon and since 5D doesn't have built in flash I was kinda using a 60D for that reason...

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 19, 2012 18:29 |  #86

Check your PM

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Number45
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 24, 2012 05:28 |  #87

I'm new here (both to this forum and to DSLRs in general), but I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm having this issue (looking for information about it is what brought me here) on my 650D and pancake. Fixed it each time by remounting the lens, although I'll try the battery trick mentioned above next time it happens.

Body SN is 4365158xxx

I've also logged it with Canon to see what they have to say about it.

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2012 14:49 |  #88

Do you press the lens back in to make it short after using it? Seems to be the cause from what most people have noted, and I was able to make it happen to mine as well. If I don't do that I never have a problem with it. Try using the AF or MF to make the lens go to "storage mode" and see if that fixes your problem.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

Number45
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 25, 2012 02:13 |  #89

kawi_200 wrote in post #14763417 (external link)
Do you press the lens back in to make it short after using it? Seems to be the cause from what most people have noted, and I was able to make it happen to mine as well. If I don't do that I never have a problem with it. Try using the AF or MF to make the lens go to "storage mode" and see if that fixes your problem.

I didn't do that manually, no, but it's possible that it could have happened while in the bag because those first few times I didn't bring it all the way back in via AF/MF. I will ensure that that's done in future of course, but it still seems like a possible issue with the lens.

Also realised people have been listing the lens serial numbers in here rather than the body (which makes sense). I don't have it on me right now, I'll edit my post with it when I get home later today.

Caekys
20 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 25, 2012 04:23 |  #90

Just to add mine. Also when AF fails, shifting or attempting to focus seems to produce a high frequency sound from the lens. Based on my engineering experiences, seems like a contact problem which causes the lens motor to be not properly powered to have enough torque.

890101XXXX on 5D3

Toolbox: 5D3|35L|85

sponsored links

30,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
AF problems with your 40mm Pancake? Please post your Serial Number.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.