Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jul 2012 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2012 23:30 |  #46

Try selling one for commercial use...

I bet they won't be so friendly.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 16, 2012 23:39 |  #47

Oh, but one last note: Speaking of Olympics, my hope is in Benn Fraker, American, One-man Canoe slalom. I worked with his mom for years (still see her around town) and knew him before he grew up. He took sixth in China (2008) but this year we're hoping he gets in the top three.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Benn_Fraker (external link)

Thank you. bw!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 16, 2012 23:48 |  #48

jetcode wrote in post #14727400 (external link)
I really like the movement of the water you captured here.

Thanks, but that's him, not me.

Surf photography isn't that hard (if you're a surfer). You just follow along and snap as the maneuver is in progress. I practiced using a DVD player and remote control. I learned it's an excellent way to learn how to shoot sports. Just push play and pause. You'll know instantly if your timing is good, and the more you practice the better you get.

I also learned (from professional surf photographers) to keep that shutter speed up to about 1200 (which isn't difficult considering how bright it is outside).

The day I took that shot of Slater the sun was backlighting, which made it a bit more challenging. I also got home to find out I had forgotten to set my camera for RAW.

But the key to good surf photography is to just stick to shooting the pros. They make it easy. Shooting the amateurs at the local beach is a test in patience, as most surfers are not nearly as good as they think they are (myself included). The guys at the top level are remarkable. They are traveling in a time and space that few can possibly imagine.

Rob Machado, AKA The Drifter

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/854926885_UsH23-XL.jpg

FWIW: You can surf anywhere there's a large body of water: Ireland, Russia, the Great Lakes, Alaska, Alabama.... almost anywhere.

Someone mentioned using the images you take commercially.

That's the law with anyone's image. If I take a picture of some lady at the park and make a billboard out of it I can be sued.

Thank you. bw!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 17, 2012 00:07 |  #49

Not necessarily...

Simply because an image is "billboard-sized" doesn't mean it's a commercial use.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 03:37 |  #50

dinanm3atl wrote in post #14726567 (external link)
Turner Field, your local stadium(and mine) has a rule and will enforce it. No lenses past 5 inches.

Still trying to work out what that is in real money. 127mm?

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

JohnnyHormone
34 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 17, 2012 04:03 |  #51

from my seats at Cardiff for the football (top tier behind the goal), it would be one heck of a lens to get me close enough to capture anything. :)

I do think it sucks to an extent, but I am going to watch the matches and enjoy the day. There will be plenty of pics around after the event. I'll have my g9 in my pocket to get pics of our day trip (me and my son).

Whilst I can't defend the lack of information on what is or isnt acceptable camera wise, and whilst I feel the bag rules and food rules are a joke (an I attend a few Premier league matches with much less grief), I am sure I will have a great time and have great memories of the day.

Now just need to re-mortgage my house so I can afford for us to eat once inside!

50D | 30D | 400D being sold | 50mm 1.8 MkII | 28-105mm | 70-200 IS USM F4.0 | Sigma 10-20 | EFS 18-55 being sold | oh, and a G9

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,837 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 17, 2012 04:11 |  #52

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14727354 (external link)
But in the end, that's why I like professional surfing. It's the only sport in the world in which attendance is free,

Tour De France
Triathlon
Marathon
Ironman

Just to start with, but there are many many sports and sporting events where attendance is free, and with no restrictions on taking photos. The laws on the commercial use of images differs from country to country, for example there is no legal requirement for model realise forms in the UK.

Gear List

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 17, 2012 04:20 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

whiteflyer wrote in post #14728035 (external link)
Tour De France
Triathlon
Marathon
Ironman

Just to start with, but there are many many sports and sporting events where attendance is free, and with no restrictions on taking photos. The laws on the commercial use of images differs from country to country, for example there is no legal requirement for model realise forms in the UK.

Wrong in some sense, you need a model release if you are going to use it for commercial reasons. And if the model is under 18, a parent or guardian has to sign the release regardless if used for non-/commercial reasons

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 17, 2012 05:36 |  #54

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14723348 (external link)
It's apparently illegal to post your Olympics events photos to Facebook - at least illegal for Brits.

Your source has got their facts mixed up.

Here's what it says on the T&Cs...

"Images, video and sound recordings of the Games taken by a Ticket Holder cannot be used for any purpose other than for private and domestic purposes and a Ticket Holder may not license, broadcast or publish video and/or sound recordings, including on social networking websites and the internet more generally."

Note that the prohibition against Facebook posting specifically mentions the publication of video and/or sound. No mention of images, which are specifically prohibited in the first part.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 06:18 |  #55

hollis_f wrote in post #14728146 (external link)
Your source has got their facts mixed up.

Here's what it says on the T&Cs...

Note that the prohibition against Facebook posting specifically mentions the publication of video and/or sound. No mention of images, which are specifically prohibited in the first part.

A lawyer just appeared on the BBC News Channel about half an hour ago and confirmed you can be taken to court for posting your Olympics photos on Facebook.

And no I don't think it's enforceable.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 17, 2012 09:13 |  #56

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14728203 (external link)
A lawyer just appeared on the BBC News Channel about half an hour ago and confirmed you can be taken to court for posting your Olympics photos on Facebook.

And no I don't think it's enforceable.

That lawyer would be wrong given the actual wording on the conditions of the ticket and rules put in blace by security. Most likely this is a lawyer the media found who was willing to com eon television to create controversy. (as if that never happens.)

Also, it's already put in writing on the IOC website that you can bring a camera in so long as it doesn't exceed 300mm in length. if it's banned in futbol (soccer) matches then who cares. Perhaps that's because the teams in addition to the IOC own copyrights to all that stuff. It's almost as boring to watch as tennis or baseball.

diableri
148 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 17, 2012 09:17 |  #57

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14727384 (external link)
Try selling one for commercial use...

I bet they won't be so friendly.

I think his point was to just try getting to an NFL player to take a picture with your child or yourself before or after a game. Most surfers have not yet completely commoditized everything about themselves. They still seem like real people for the most part and not a product. It's refreshing. I hope surfing never gets so big that it goes away as a someone that grew up in the water.

Simon_Gardner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2012 09:47 |  #58

mikeinctown wrote in post #14728810 (external link)
That lawyer would be wrong...

I'll let him know.

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2012 10:04 as a reply to  @ diableri's post |  #59

McDonald's fries are tasty, but are they even made from potatoes? I'm afraid to eat them anymore. They lost our business after the whole pink slime affair. We generally eat organic meat anyway, along with organic everything else (as much as we can).

http://www.snopes.com/​food/prepare/msm.asp (external link)

Article says McDonald's has been using all white meat since 2003... The "Pink Slime Affair" swept around the social networks earlier this year. So I think maybe you are mixing up the dates.

I eat what tastes good and exercise. Life is too short to do otherwise :)

I was able to bring "pro" gear to Turner field and shoot pictures of the Braves. I ended up deleting all the photos anyway as they were pretty crappy photos.

I am sure you were. I was as well. The point still stands and so do the rules. Just because someone does not enforce the stadium's rules does not mean that is not the rule. I guarantee someone will be able to go to an Olympic event with a dSLR and take pictures. Not every security guy is going to care... he doesn't get extra money if he stops someone.

But in the end, that's why I like professional surfing. It's the only sport in the world in which attendance is free, you mingle with the professionals (although they do get a VIP area to escape the autograph-seeking kids and girls), and you can actually surf with them before and after each day's competition. Nobody stops you from shooting using any gear you want and you can do whatever you want with the photos.

And guess what: The tour is still growing in sponsorship dollars.

Very few people can actually say, "I know what it's like to play in the Superbowl," but anybody with a surfboard can paddle out at twelve-foot Pipeline and find out exactly what it's like to ride those waves.

And even cooler is the fact that these guys never say no to a kid's autograph or a geek like myself asking to take a photo.

I can't compete with the free aspect but the rest I think you should come to a Grand-Am Rolex race. Yes you will spend ~50 dollars for 4 days of access but the cars, crew and drivers are just out and about. I have yet to see one turn down a photo. This includes people like Patrick Dempsey who races an RX-8. They are all friendly.

You can use whatever camera gear you want from spectator areas. Teams will welcome you into their paddock area to get closer to the cars to take photos. There are specific autograph sessions where you can guarantee you can meet, talk and get an autograph/photo with your favorite driver. There is an hour long fan walk on the pre-grid. There are plenty of other opportunities in other sports as well.

And if it becomes mainstream you can bet all of that will change with surfing. It is like it is because it needs to be overly inviting or else no one would go. It is like that with everything. Compare the openness of the Gwinette Braves compared to the Atlanta Braves.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

diableri
148 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 17, 2012 11:22 |  #60

dinanm3atl wrote in post #14729125 (external link)
It is like it is because it needs to be overly inviting or else no one would go.

That may be for racing (I know nothing about pro racing) but it's honestly not like that for surfing (at least in CA and HI). It's just not that interesting for enough people to come just for a meet and greet. The same number of folks would attend whether or not you could talk to the surfers minus a tiny %. Talking to them is just an added bonus. Much smaller community I think than racing.

sponsored links

17,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ban on posting Olympics photos on Facebook
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.