Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I go from 7D to 5DII?

inspectoring
207 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 17, 2012 11:02 |  #1

I am just thinking...I am sort of satisfied with the autofocus system in 7D and if I were to upgrade (?) to 5DII - would I miss this autofocus system? I take portraits and mostly kids running around the yard (4-2 year olds)

Gear: 7D, Canon 70-200 f8 MK II, 70-200 f4 IS, 24-70 f2.8 and Sigmalux 50 f1.4 Flash: 580EXii

sponsored links
Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 17, 2012 11:10 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

You'd miss the AF, based on your usage.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

BHollis
63 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 17, 2012 11:10 |  #3

Good as the 7D's focus system is, the 5D3's is even better. So no, I don't think you'd miss the 7D's focus system.

I've had a 7D for around three years, and recently purchased a 5D3, primarily to shoot my grand kids with my fast primes (but kept my 7D for wildlife). I'm getting significantly more keepers at f/1.4 with the 5D3 than I did with the 7D. Also enjoying the 5D3's shallower dof and cleaner files.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post. Thought you were referring to the 5D3 rather than the 5D2. Don't have any personal experience with the 5D2, but I suspect you would miss the 7D's AF system. Of course, that would be made up to some extent by the 5D2's shallower dof and cleaner files.

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 17, 2012 11:11 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

BHollis wrote in post #14729522 (external link)
Good as the 7D's focus system is, the 5D3's is even better. So no, I don't think you'd miss the 7D's focus system.

I've had a 7D for around three years, and recently purchased a 5D3, primarily to shoot my grand kids with my fast primes (but kept my 7D for wildlife). I'm getting significantly more keepers at f/1.4 with the 5D3 than I did with the 7D. Also enjoying the 5D3's shallower dof and cleaner files.

5D2, not 5D3.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 17, 2012 11:12 |  #5

^ he was talking about the Mark II, not the Mark III.

I did the same jump and only in times when there's fast action do I miss the AF - or in low light. It's not absolutely horrible, but I am holding out for a 5D III sometime. The image quality is totally worth it though - I'm loving the lens and camera combo I have now.

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 17, 2012 11:13 |  #6

I think that you might. I moved to a 5DII from a 7D a while ago. The autofocus is definitely usable, but it pales in comparison to that of the 7D. The handling and ergonomics were a step backward as well. If you want to make the full frame switch, you might want save up for the 5DIII (I now have one and it has improved on everything that I felt was inferior in the Mark 2) or perhaps wait on the rumors of this budget full-frame that Canon supposedly has in the works.

Gear
flickr (external link)

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 17, 2012 11:18 |  #7

I'd go with a dated 1 series before the 5DMKII.

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 17, 2012 11:47 |  #8

I had a 7D and 5D2 pairing and really had to force myself to use the 7D as I automatically went for my 5D2. I got many action, BIF and wildlife shots with the 5D2 despite the 'really poor' (so called) AF system. Had I not had the problems I did with my 7D I would of been more than happy to still be shooting with them now, but I sold both bodies and got a 5D3 when they were launched. I'd certainly have another 5D2 as a second body (I have a 60D now) and would rather have that than 'my' old 7D again.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 17, 2012 12:46 |  #9

inspectoring wrote in post #14729481 (external link)
I am just thinking...I am sort of satisfied with the autofocus system in 7D and if I were to upgrade (?) to 5DII - would I miss this autofocus system? I take portraits and mostly kids running around the yard (4-2 year olds)

Maybe you should wait on the rumored entry-level FF that some think might show up by the end of the year. Granted you can never be sure with rumors as anyone can make the stuff up, but there's possibly something with 19-point AF and 22mp, more plasticky FF camera that might be exactly what you're looking for.

I didn't have the 5D2 but I did buy a 5Dc after I have had my 7D since launch. And I rarely picked up the 5Dc.

That said, I certainly don't shoot with my 7D as often now with the 5D3 though I don't plan on getting rid of the 7D yet, especially with the new firmware around the corner which will help me when I go and shoot the few airshows I am able to make each year.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 17, 2012 12:55 |  #10

I agree with Julian, wait a bit. Photokina will happen in mid-Sept and if Canon is going to pitch a new body it could happen there.
If you're only "sort of satisfied" with the AF on the 7D, I think you'd be sort of dissatisfied with the AF on a 5D2. I've seen some amazing shots taken with the 5D2, there is one fellow here to manages to do great BIF shots with it, but I don't know how he does it.

sponsored links

1,287 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I go from 7D to 5DII?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.