Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 04:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Facing the unthinkable. :(. Advice?

Pricey
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 16, 2012 16:04 |  #16

Thanks everyone. Your suggestions will be looked into so that I can get the best outcome from this! :(

Canon 650D, 18-55mm, 50mm STM, 55-250mm.
http://www.facebook.co​m/ryanpricephotography (external link)

sponsored links
TheRightLight
295 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 16, 2012 18:28 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Karatekachick wrote in post #14723915 (external link)
This sucks. BUT sometimes we have to do these painful things to move through a rough spot. Sell your gear, get something to pacify the addiction and when your ready again to start collecting gear again have fun! Just think of all the cool changes coming out in the next few years, and you'll get to look at them objectively and research. Then pick and choose EXACTLY what you want!

We have all been there. I waited till the 60D came out with the plastic body because I have RA and the metal ones are just too heavy for my fingers. I am likely the only person in the world happy about the plastic ;) but with this little break from all the pressures and new equipment zipping out you'll be able to really research and get to know exactly what you want. When your ready you will be in an excellent position to negotiate and cherry pick!

You aren't the only one happy about the plastic 60D. I'm all for lighter cameras!

Marketplace Feedback:
As a Seller: One. Two. Three. As a Buyer: Link.
My Ebay Account: 100% Positive Feedback. (external link)

Pricey
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 17, 2012 13:04 |  #18

What are peoples opinions on a G11/G12? Or like some have suggested, should I just keep the two smaller lenses and go for a 350/400/450D?

And can anyone give me any pointers as to how much the 70-200 would be worth? Im doing my research.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,510 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 17, 2012 13:08 |  #19

Pricey wrote in post #14730048 (external link)
What are peoples opinions on a G11/G12? Or like some have suggested, should I just keep the two smaller lenses and go for a 350/400/450D?

The G series cameras are excellent.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Eiro
Goldmember
1,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 17, 2012 13:44 |  #20

The minute I read your post, I was going to suggest for the time being get a G12 and keep your flash. I know its not a DSLR,but it will do what you want it to do in the meantime. Just practice as much as possible with it when you get it. Don't lose your photography touch.Part with everything else to get your finances in order.

When I was in college I was living alone,I couldn't live with 'rents due to a few reasons. At one point couple of things didn't workout with rent for my studio apartment and I was forced to live out of my car for a while. Not too many friends dorms or apartments you can crash at on a regular basis without a million excuses from them and a million questions that make you feel uncomfortable as to why you need to stay. No one knew my living situation and I preferred it that way. It wasn't pleasant, it was dangerous, and the ego was much stomped on at that point but I knew where I was headed and what I needed to do. Always used the University parking and tried not to park in areas where the car could be towed or would give anyone a reason to break in. Took showers at the University gym 3 times a day, no one cared, no one minded. Ate at the University cafeteria, good food it was cheaper there and 3 affordable meals a day for students money wasn't bad. Believe it or not people that worked in the cafeteria (if you were a regular) would hook you up with some extra something and that was always great. I worked two jobs so that I could stay in school pay the tuition and survive. Not everyone in the states gets financial aid or free $$ from the gov. After a while I was able to get things back on top and everything worked out. Try to clip coupons, there is NO shame in saving $$ at the cash register even if the people in line behind you have to wait a damn second. Get a good bicycle in the meantime to get around doesn't have to be a Trek or a Canondale. It can be a basic Huffy or Diamond back from Kmart. See if you can find someone who can fix your car for a barter,use your hobby skills behind the lens as a way to negotiate something. Maybe just maybe you will be able to find someone who can take you up on your offer.If you have folks that can give you shelter or a few meals a day for that matter, take them up on the offer and keep is simple.

Things will be alright. Pray and be thankful for everything you've got. Remember it can be worse, a lot worse.

Get out and shoot

Pricey
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 17, 2012 13:52 |  #21

Thanks mate. Good that you got yourself back on track! I always take family up on meals because I couldn't afford to eat! Shocking.

But for the G12, I can use the same flash?! Nice! Going to look into that one more. I like it for it's size so that I could take it with me with ease on trips with my daughter etc.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,510 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 17, 2012 14:06 |  #22

Pricey wrote in post #14730237 (external link)
Thanks mate. Good that you got yourself back on track! I always take family up on meals because I couldn't afford to eat! Shocking.

But for the G12, I can use the same flash?! Nice! Going to look into that one more. I like it for it's size so that I could take it with me with ease on trips with my daughter etc.

I use a 420EX with my G9, and used to use a 580EX II with it. I even did off camera flash with the 580 as master and 420 as slave.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 17, 2012 14:12 |  #23

Just sell your stuff and when you have money in the future, use it to upgrade to what you didn't have previous. the 430 II flash is worth more now than it will be in 2 months. Heck, everything is.

I've had to sell off a ton of stuff before and while it is no fun, you have to remember that when you finally have the money again, you will have better stuff. Take care of the stress now and get whatever cash you can. You can't sleep in your camera, eat it, wear it, or shower with it. Focus on the important stuff and you will pull through.

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 17, 2012 15:36 |  #24

Camera is just a thing, it can be lost stolen broken sold etc. and easily replaced.

Actually loosing photos would be bother me way more. A memory card I had went bad after my daughters event I had shot last year. I felt terrible that the pics were gone for good. No way to replace those pictures.

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

Pricey
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 17, 2012 15:38 |  #25

Which would bring me to ask for some more advice on how much I could set this lot at?

IMAGE: http://i45.tinypic.com/1et07p.jpg

Surely it's worth around £1000?? The remote is third party by the way. Also thats leaving out the kit lens incase I do get a lower model. Or I might go for a G11/12?

sponsored links

3,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
Facing the unthinkable. :(. Advice?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.