Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cyber commander and ambient light

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 17, 2012 09:43 |  #1

Will the PCB cyber commander measure ambient light? I'm considering buying the sekonic l-358 but if I buy another einstein and the cyber commander I don't think I need the sekonic. Any thoughts?

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)

sponsored links
Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 17, 2012 12:48 |  #2

Yes...set one of your channels up to a light of type "unknown" with no light connected to it.
Select that light in the CC and press the pop/meter button.
You now have an ambient reading!

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 17, 2012 14:18 |  #3

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=lQrOtxNMSBQ (external link)

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 17, 2012 20:38 |  #4

Well lookie there - that's an awesome tip guys. Regarding the metering video, shouldn't the dome be facing the camera position???? Your measuring light falling on a subject from a specific angle, not how much light the subject reflects back to the camera position.

Regarding the Sekonic vs. CC - after this little tidbit of info, I'm much less woried about the differences. The CC blows the Sekonic out of the water with remote power and 'easier' multi light readings vs. combined exposure. The one missing feature that I would enjoy for the CC to have is the Sekonic's ambient/flash ratio. That feature alone would give you an awesome understanding of how much 'strobe' light you are really throwing into a scene. i.e. 30% = a good heavy fill, 70% = a medium main light and 100% = blasted in an ambient/stobe outdoor scene.

Ohh, its much easier to change ISO on the Sekonic - in the heat of the moment with the CC you will FAIL. Its almost easier to calc in whole stop ISO increments and do the math in your head. Same goes with any type of ND or Pola filter situation that you need to compensate an fStop or multiples. IIRC, the Sekonic would allow for 2 ISO options that could be transposed in realtime.

Believe me, I'm not trying to convince you to go with the Sekonic - just throwing out some of my findings. The CC in your pocket or even on top of a camera is gold!

DanThoman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 17, 2012 21:36 |  #5

Thanks for all the info. I believe I'll be buying the CC and hopefully another einstein.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 18, 2012 17:00 |  #6

I agree that the sekonic is much more intuitive andoffers flash to ambient ratios, but once you understand lighting; you might find that chimping is faster as a whole. Plus the time you save running back and forth to the lights is invaluable.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 19, 2012 10:59 |  #7

MrScott wrote in post #14731966 (external link)
Well lookie there - that's an awesome tip guys. Regarding the metering video, shouldn't the dome be facing the camera position???? Your measuring light falling on a subject from a specific angle, not how much light the subject reflects back to the camera position.

The metering of the CC is fairly obsolete once the CC is on the camera in shooting position. At least I never use it when shooting.

If I need to meter I remove the CC from the camera and walk out and meter away at the subject.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 20, 2012 11:48 |  #8

Old thread but had a question.
Can the Cyber commander read the light from the strobe rather than just ambient like the sekonic can or should I also invest into a light meter anyways??

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

sponsored links

2,417 views & 0 likes for this thread
cyber commander and ambient light
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.