Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Jul 2012 (Friday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CAMERA STOLEN!!! (but returned thanks to Facebook)

tbsguy18
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 17, 2012 20:38 |  #61

AvailableLight wrote in post #14728454 (external link)
Oh, come on. The OP wasn't trolling. He was just telling a story that got everyone's interest. You can't compare what happened in Chicago to what happened to the OP. I'm sure he's clear that the consensus is he should've pressed charges. Maybe that's what he ended up doing.

Thanks @AvailableLight for backing me up on this. I was definitely not trolling for a debate, just sharing a story like you said. I have much better things to do with my time then try and start some sort of "debate" on the internet. I honestly didn't expect it to turn into a 5 page thread either.

I can see now that everyone feels I should have pressed charges, which is what I decided to do. We have a court date set for next month. Although, I feel like I might keep the details of that to myself...

Gripped Canon 60D 50 f/1.8---17-50 f/2.8---70-200 f/4 L

sponsored links
Gomar
527 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 17, 2012 21:26 |  #62

pwm2 wrote in post #14716046 (external link)
He wouldn't have brought the camera gear for a photo session if he wanted to return a found camera.

A photo session by a 16 year old! huh? Somethings off and odd and smells about this whole story. 16 year olds arent dumb enough to upload photos off a stolen camera. Give me a break here man. Really.
Either the kid wanted the owner to contact him, or it's all made up.

Reminds me of that Dutch photog who lost a roll of film in the snow in Central Park and a real nice man set off on a journey to find the owner, even traveling to... yes, that's right... all the way to Holland.

Both stories are real fishy.

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 17, 2012 22:28 |  #63

Gomar wrote in post #14732178 (external link)
A photo session by a 16 year old! huh? Somethings off and odd and smells about this whole story. 16 year olds arent dumb enough to upload photos off a stolen camera. Give me a break here man. Really.

Yes, people are that dumb.

Read the article I posted above - kids killed a guy and posted video on Facebook.

tbsguy18
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 17, 2012 22:33 |  #64

Gomar wrote in post #14732178 (external link)

Reminds me of that Dutch photog who lost a roll of film in the snow in Central Park and a real nice man set off on a journey to find the owner, even traveling to... yes, that's right... all the way to Holland.

Both stories are real fishy.

Apparently 16 year olds are that dumb. Im 27 and I've been dumb enough to upload pictures that I didn't even realize I was uploading. And as far as wanting ME (The owner) to contact him, posting my pictures on his Facebook wouldn't have done it. Sure, we live in the same area, but I'm not friends with him on Facebook. How would I have seen these pictures of mine? It was by pure luck that I even found him at all. And besides, he realized the mistake he made, because less then an hour after I first went to his page and saw my pictures, they were deleted.
All of that aside, my name and phone number are written inside my bag just in case. So as soon as he opened it up, he would have saw it.

Sorry this so hard for you to believe.

tbsguy18
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 17, 2012 22:35 |  #65

Kirill wrote in post #14732398 (external link)
Yes, people are that dumb.

Read the article I posted above - kids killed a guy and posted video on Facebook.

Yes, exactly. ^

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2012 23:02 |  #66

You know, perhaps there is a compromise to be had.

Confront him and let him know that you aren't pressing charges, but only because he is given a second chance. If the guy seems to be able to think and reason, clearly poit out that kids do dumb things. But not always do they get given a second chance.

Get him to think about what would happen if he were to have a criminal record. This is his chance to straighten out. That if he continued down this path he would regret it, because this was the moment he was given an out but didn't take it.

If he's unable to reason, you could at least tell his parents. And explain to them the favour you are giving him. That this needn't be on record, but that it should be a life lesson.

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 17, 2012 23:11 |  #67

mrkgoo wrote in post #14732580 (external link)
You know, perhaps there is a compromise to be had.

Confront him and let him know that you aren't pressing charges, but only because he is given a second chance. If the guy seems to be able to think and reason, clearly poit out that kids do dumb things. But not always do they get given a second chance.

Get him to think about what would happen if he were to have a criminal record. This is his chance to straighten out. That if he continued down this path he would regret it, because this was the moment he was given an out but didn't take it.

If he's unable to reason, you could at least tell his parents. And explain to them the favour you are giving him. That this needn't be on record, but that it should be a life lesson.

i say leave all this to the judge. There are probably community service\probation programs to keep the record clean.

miguelr
452 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 18, 2012 22:14 |  #68

screw that, should have showed up with the cops. you just let him go and steal someone else's gear.

Guitarist turned aspiring concert photog.
7D | Σ 10 f2.8 Fisheye | 430EX II x2| ThinkTank Retro 5 | Fuji X10
Site: miguelrphoto.com (external link)

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 19, 2012 08:36 |  #69

tbsguy18 wrote in post #14731968 (external link)
Thanks @AvailableLight for backing me up on this. I was definitely not trolling for a debate, just sharing a story like you said. I have much better things to do with my time then try and start some sort of "debate" on the internet. I honestly didn't expect it to turn into a 5 page thread either.

I can see now that everyone feels I should have pressed charges, which is what I decided to do. We have a court date set for next month. Although, I feel like I might keep the details of that to myself...

No problem, man. Glad you decided to press charges. Also agree that you don't need to share everything about that process, however if you could tell us if it ended in community service or juvenile detention, it'd be cool.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

RAW ­ RAW ­ RAW
461 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 19, 2012 12:27 |  #70

I'm interested in what happens too. Can you tell us the mitigating circumstances too please. Just a sentence with no background or explanation is pretty meaningless. In his summing up, the Judge will say a bit about the guy and what he has been up to and I'd be interested to here if in fact he has been caught before, there seems little doubt that he has done it before.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 19, 2012 13:05 |  #71

Kirill wrote in post #14732632 (external link)
i say leave all this to the judge. There are probably community service\probation programs to keep the record clean.

+1

the OP has no idea if this kid has a clean record, the judge will know and dish out the appropriate penalty.

you did the right thing by reporting this.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 22, 2012 14:27 |  #72

It was not a good ideal to confront him that way...Like one person said he could have pulled a gun or anything. He should have been lured there using the police to do that. And to all the bad asses on here that would have kicked his ass,,well he could have been a badass and kicked yours. He is a thief and should have been arrested for the theft AND the Burglary of your vehicle..the Burglary is a felony. I qualify my answer by saying I am a Detective. ALWAYS call the police.

And I am glad you got your camera back...too many times this is not the case.

sponsored links

8,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
CAMERA STOLEN!!! (but returned thanks to Facebook)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.