Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 01:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Outdoor wedding, should I be worried?!

EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2012 01:44 |  #61
bannedPermanent ban

thats sad, i never show all of my shots, but i will admit sometimes it is veryyyy hard to choose between two that are very similar

sponsored links
mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 18, 2012 02:25 |  #62

EricaBreetoe wrote in post #14733097 (external link)
thats sad, i never show all of my shots, but i will admit sometimes it is veryyyy hard to choose between two that are very similar

In those situations...this is what I do...if it's THAT close, then it's pretty much 50/50, right? Then each is as good as the other. Just pick one, it doesn't matter!

EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2012 03:30 |  #63
bannedPermanent ban

sometimes a second opinon helps if its the same pose at a second angle, its easy to choose when its someone elses photos but when they're mine i am always on the fence about it haha i have the same problem deciding if i like color or b&w better

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 18, 2012 05:22 |  #64

EricaBreetoe wrote in post #14733291 (external link)
sometimes a second opinon helps if its the same pose at a second angle, its easy to choose when its someone elses photos but when they're mine i am always on the fence about it haha i have the same problem deciding if i like color or b&w better

Honestly, this is one of the more important skills as well...to critique your own (and others) . It's how you get better, by identifying what you think works and what you think doesn't! People ask me, "How can I get better?" Easy. Look at photos. And practice!

vspector
180 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 18, 2012 08:36 as a reply to  @ post 14731163 |  #65

Wait a minute.
So you are saying that you might lose money on the deal if you stay overnight, which you are planning on doing, and on top of it want to rent/buy a lens. As if thats not enough, you will take time off from work to edit the photos???????????????

550D | Tamron 17-50 | Speedlite 600 RT

ckweddingphoto
35 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2012 10:13 |  #66

Dont stress too much. We all started somewhere and we all made mistakes along the way. On the wedding day just try to be as confident in your abilities as possible. You will definitely lear A LOT that day. On another note, make sure you stay hydrated and eat. No one wants a passed out photographer ;)

Stir ­ Fry ­ A ­ Lot
679 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 18, 2012 10:13 |  #67

When taking the group photo try to get as much working distance as possible so that you can zoom your 24-70 in a bit to avoid barrell distortion.

Flickr (external link)
5D3 | 5Dc | 7D | Tok 16-28 | 24-105 | 17-55 | 70-200 f4 IS | Pancake 40 | Sigma 50 | 85 1.8 | Yongnuo 565EX | Demb Flash Bracket | DiffuseIt Bounce Card | Manfrotto 535 CF Tripod | 2x Yongnuo YN560s | 2x PBL Softbox Umbrellas | CyberSync Triggers | Epson R3000 | A very understanding wife

EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2012 10:20 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

Lol well i ended up picking up a shift this week so i'll do one double and only miss one day of work, i know that doesnt make much sence to you, i just didnt want to return to work the very next day, bad enough i am doing a double thursday and working till 11pm friday night (the wedding is saturday morning) so it sucks that i am going to be so tired but firday night shifts are impossible to get out of. i found out that the round trip ferry tickets they bought us will still be good to use for the way back..i thought they were booked to return home that night but i guess it doesnt matter..the bride told me today is the day her bf would give the money to mine so i could have it before the wedding, i was happy about incase there is any reason i might need to use it , but there was a change of plan and now i'm not getting paid till the wedding day, that sucks because i wanted it to be all set in advance so she doesnt need to worry about paying me. whatever though i'm not going to stress it. and i decided not to rent the lens. so im not in a bad place as far as money goes, that is if i even get paid hah

EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2012 10:25 |  #69
bannedPermanent ban

ckweddingphoto wrote in post #14734561 (external link)
Dont stress too much. We all started somewhere and we all made mistakes along the way. On the wedding day just try to be as confident in your abilities as possible. You will definitely lear A LOT that day. On another note, make sure you stay hydrated and eat. No one wants a passed out photographer ;)

Lol, i hope my bf reminds me to drink something, if i feel needed there is no way i am going to stop for a break, its been about a year since i last fainted and i normally "see" it comming so it shouldnt be an issue. the weather is still looking good too :)

maatt
241 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2012 12:08 |  #70

EricaBreetoe wrote in post #14734598 (external link)
but there was a change of plan and now i'm not getting paid till the wedding day, that sucks because i wanted it to be all set in advance so she doesnt need to worry about paying me.

Just make sure you get paid before you start shooting and you don't end up shooting their whole wedding on your expense.

e=mc ** 2

EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2012 14:14 |  #71
bannedPermanent ban

yeah i mean i hope she pays me first, but if she doesnt im still going to do the whole wedding, maybe she wont see any pics until i get paid lol

vspector
180 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 19, 2012 08:48 |  #72

maatt wrote in post #14735045 (external link)
Just make sure you get paid before you start shooting and you don't end up shooting their whole wedding on your expense.

I think after she is finished with the work, she will regret charging such a low price. Its really hard work and i believe you sold yourself short... Photographers in my area charge 200/hour and that just for them to show up

550D | Tamron 17-50 | Speedlite 600 RT

scroller52
964 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 19, 2012 09:32 |  #73

I hope everything turns out good for you Erica, looking forward to see what you've done for the wedding.

You're definitely getting short-changed, but you've got to start somewhere right? There's been plenty of advice given here already, and flickr is blocked from this network, so I can't really check out your previous work.

but you say you're poor, making less than 10/hour, but can afford a 7D and 24-70L? time to start charging more! Gear doesn't get any cheaper from here on out :)

Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon 24mm 1.4L mkII | Canon 85mm 1.2L mkI | Canon 40mm 2.8
my flickr (external link)
my picasa (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 19, 2012 11:58 |  #74

IMO, the 24-70 is kind of a weird focal range on a cropper, but if 24mm (38.4mm FOV equivalent) is going to be wide enough, then it's a good choice. I would rather shoot with the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS though. For the long end, the 55-250 should be good enough outdoors. Is there a huge difference? Probably. The 70-200 is an f2.8 lens, and the it should focus much quicker, but again, for outdoors, you probably can get by with the 55-250.

Indoors? Well, you'll need flash anyways, but focusing may be an issues. I have never used the 55-250 so I can't speak to it's low light focusing abilities. However if you use the AF assist beam on the flash, that should alleviate some of the concern.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 19, 2012 18:52 |  #75

Just remember to eat a good breakfast that will last through most of the day. Also, maybe bring some granolla bars or whatever that you munch on during the day to keep your energy up. Also, a water bottle to keep yourself hydrated.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

sponsored links

23,729 views & 0 likes for this thread
Outdoor wedding, should I be worried?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.