Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 08:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

best UV filter

zeussbdc
134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 18, 2012 08:01 |  #1

i got a new lens canon 100mm is usm and i wanna buy an UV filter, can u guyz be kind and recomand me a good filter pls and not that expensiv pls.Thx guyz

Canon EOS 50D
Tamron 17-50 F2.8, Canon 100mm IS USM,

sponsored links
Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 18, 2012 08:51 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

So do you want a good or cheap one?

Don't use a UV filter.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 18, 2012 09:01 as a reply to  @ Eight_Blade's post |  #3

If you don't want to spend much money, then don't buy a UV filter.

They are not necessary, do nothing to improve your photographs and a cheap one will generally degrade the image quality and make your shots look bad. There are frequent threads on here from people wondering why they can't take sharp shots, then they get told to take the cheap filter off and suddenly their shots are no longer soft.

A good quality filter should have no ill effect on the image except under very specific circumstances, but they don't come cheap.

We can't recommend a good, cheap filter as no such animal exists. You have the option of good but expensive, or cheap and crappy. Or don't use one at all, which is a very popular option but causes arguments between those who think it protects the lens and those who don't.

stevenkelby
52 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 18, 2012 09:08 |  #4

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com.au …lters&hash=item​231ebd10f7 (external link)

If you're going to get one, that's a good one.

G11 and G12 plus many accessories.
My guide to CHDK

zeussbdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 18, 2012 10:32 as a reply to  @ stevenkelby's post |  #5

ok guyz thx for answers ... i will think if i should buy uv fillter or not becouse now i try to get new camera as well so i need any peny :)

Canon EOS 50D

stevenkelby
52 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 18, 2012 10:33 |  #6

Don't get one, put the money toward a body or lens :)

G11 and G12 plus many accessories.
My guide to CHDK

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 18, 2012 10:33 |  #7

If you feel the need for a protective filter at least pony up the money for a good one. Why would you want to slap a cheap piece of glass on the front of a thousand dollar lens?

zeussbdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 18, 2012 10:39 |  #8

crn3371 wrote in post #14734665 (external link)
If you feel the need for a protective filter at least pony up the money for a good one. Why would you want to slap a cheap piece of glass on the front of a thousand dollar lens?

I don't wanna buy a cheap one , but i never use a filter before this is why i ask ppl from this site to tell me. so i will buy something like the one from the earlyer post

Canon EOS 50D

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 18, 2012 10:45 |  #9

I suggest you have a look at the protective filter sticky in the lens forum.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2012 10:50 |  #10

This forum have seen at least 100 threads like this. Maybe even a thousand threads.

A few of them are based on a completely different requirements specification - so have a need for a completely different, and more specific, answer.

But most of them are the generic - what UV filter to buy. Which means that the answers given in these threads are quite similar to the answers you may get in your own, very personal, thread. So with a quick visit to the "search" function, you can get thousands of answers within a couple of seconds.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,571 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 18, 2012 11:00 |  #11

zeussbdc wrote in post #14734698 (external link)
I don't wanna buy a cheap one , but i never use a filter before this is why i ask ppl from this site to tell me. so i will buy something like the one from the earlyer post

Do you have a hood for this new lens?

That will always give you a decent level of barrier protection, AND it will go a long way towards improving image quality by potentially reducing glare and flare. Reduce those, and saturation, contrast and apparent sharpness will always improve.

Invest in a high quality Circular Polarizer Filter. Under the appropriate circumstances it will vastly improve your images.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 18, 2012 12:32 |  #12

I use a Hoya EVO protector filter and a hood. No loss of image quality that I can detect, the lens I use it on gives amazing results.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,889 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 18, 2012 12:40 |  #13

B+W MRC UV Haze filters on all my lenses from day one. Never had an issue other than an always clean front element and probably better resale value since every lens Ive ever sold the buyer was very pleased to hear I kept the UV filter on since the lens was first pulled out of the box.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 18, 2012 17:12 |  #14

^+1

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Kyles
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 18, 2012 17:15 |  #15

ben_r_ wrote in post #14735202 (external link)
B+W MRC UV Haze filters on all my lenses from day one. Never had an issue other than an always clean front element and probably better resale value since every lens Ive ever sold the buyer was very pleased to hear I kept the UV filter on since the lens was first pulled out of the box.

+1 <---------------

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

sponsored links

9,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
best UV filter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.