Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 19:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HSS sucks...Use an ND Filter instead

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 19, 2012 10:19 |  #16

Curtis N wrote in post #14737169 (external link)
HSS has no motion stopping ability either. HSS is, in effect, a continuous light source that lasts through the duration of shutter curtain movement.

At what minimum speed do modern canon cameras need high speed sync?

Now, high speed sync does not offer motion stopping in and of it self..... the shutter speed you would use it at CERTAINLY would qualify.

Highspeed sync is a great tool. Once I figured out that the 430ex could go into HSS mode, I loved using flash in bright sunlight.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

sponsored links
Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 19, 2012 11:14 |  #17

pyrojim wrote in post #14739737 (external link)
At what minimum speed do modern canon cameras need high speed sync?

I believe today's Canon DSLRs have X-sync speeds in the range of 1/200 to 1/300. You need HSS to go beyond that.

Now, high speed sync does not offer motion stopping in and of it self..... the shutter speed you would use it at CERTAINLY would qualify.

agreed.

Highspeed sync is a great tool. Once I figured out that the 430ex could go into HSS mode, I loved using flash in bright sunlight.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you
a) pay attention to the distance scale
b) wait for the extended recycle time
c) prepare for the reduced battery life

The catch-22 in this whole equation is that the motion-stopping ability of a faster shutter really isn't needed with portraits. It's useful when shooting sports, but when shooting sports the subject is usually beyond the reduced range of HSS flash.

Of course there are exceptions and specialized uses, which is why I didn't say HSS was worthless, I just said its utility is limited.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 19, 2012 13:33 |  #18

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #14738583 (external link)
Well, you can certainly get auto adjusting welding helmets, not sure of their reaction time and of the qualities of the optics but it is a very good bit of lateral thinking!

I suggest you follow the idea up.

Sweet... Voltage regulation = variable Neutral Density.

Or a doohicky on a strobe that allows you to use an LCD panel to balance color. Rotate a dial for CTO, CTB or just map it out to degree's K.

I would patent that shiz now before its Fonged or Hobbied.

Digital Pimp

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 19, 2012 13:42 |  #19

Curtis N wrote in post #14739973 (external link)
I believe today's Canon DSLRs have X-sync speeds in the range of 1/200 to 1/300. You need HSS to go beyond that.agreed.Nothing wrong with that, as long as you
a) pay attention to the distance scale
b) wait for the extended recycle time
c) prepare for the reduced battery life

The catch-22 in this whole equation is that the motion-stopping ability of a faster shutter really isn't needed with portraits. It's useful when shooting sports, but when shooting sports the subject is usually beyond the reduced range of HSS flash.

Of course there are exceptions and specialized uses, which is why I didn't say HSS was worthless, I just said its utility is limited.

YOU may find the usefulness of high speed sync limited for YOU.

I think there is incredible utility in the HSS option.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,308 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 19, 2012 13:53 |  #20

pyrojim wrote in post #14740625 (external link)

Somewhat perplexing that Olympus invented the concept of prolonged duration lower power electronic flash output, launching that over 25 years ago with the F280 flash, and the press and the world greeted it with a collective yawn, back when focal plane shutters usually sync'd to electronic flash at 1/60. Now with electronic flash sync at the incredible speeds of 1/250, prolonged duration lower power flash (HSS) is so much more accepted with open arms, when the benefit is less. :confused:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2012 14:20 |  #21

Forget HSS and ND and just go Medium Format with leaf shutter lenses and enjoy flash sync at 1600th. :lol:

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 19, 2012 14:23 |  #22

Damian75 wrote in post #14740734 (external link)
Forget HSS and ND and just go Medium Format with leaf shutter lenses and enjoy flash sync at 1600th. :lol:

Dont tempt me too much.... I am wringing my hands over an RZ67 pro 2....

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,308 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 19, 2012 14:33 |  #23

Damian75 wrote in post #14740734 (external link)

It is a rare leaf shutter that exceeds 1/500!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 19, 2012 14:35 |  #24

It would be so nice if CMOS sensors can have electronic shutters. Atleast give me sync speed like those CCD sensors.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 19, 2012 14:54 |  #25

You could always get a Canon 1D if it is that important to you.

Personally I've used HSS. I hate ND filters for anything other than a static subject. Hard to see through, slows down focus etc...

I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to use it. Doesn't justify buying a good ND filter when I already have what I need for HSS.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 19, 2012 15:18 |  #26

HSS guys/gals what modifiers you use if any? Can you show some sample shots to show what you can do with HSS. Thanks in advance.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 19, 2012 15:47 |  #27

pyrojim wrote in post #14740625 (external link)

Errr....misread. Nevermind.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2012 16:02 |  #28

Wilt wrote in post #14740783 (external link)
It is a rare leaf shutter that exceeds 1/500!

Pretty much any of the hasselblad's digitals going back to the H1 will do 800 and the Phase One with the LS lenses with do 1600. The other thing is with LS lenses you can dial up the shutter speed beyond the flash sync and you will lose flash power but you won't get the black bars you get with FPS and if you have the flash power you can compensate.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 19, 2012 17:33 |  #29

bobbyz wrote in post #14740991 (external link)
HSS guys/gals what modifiers you use if any? Can you show some sample shots to show what you can do with HSS. Thanks in advance.

I finished reading Syl Arena's Speedliters Handbook about a month ago and details various shoots he utilized HSS. I just looked through a small portion of his blog and found this post: http://pixsylated.com …-about-high-speed-sync-2/ (external link)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,273 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 19, 2012 17:38 |  #30

bobbyz wrote in post #14740991 (external link)

A couple of silly examples. No modifiers.

https://photography-on-the.net …p=14446495&post​count=7022

https://photography-on-the.net …p=14522192&post​count=7124

sponsored links

24,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
HSS sucks...Use an ND Filter instead
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.