Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 04:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your rigs!

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 17, 2012 00:01 |  #361

StaticMedia wrote in post #14723660 (external link)
I concur, I would love to see some footage from that beast. I have to say though....I dont think I would allow a $15000 camera to support its own weight via the lens mount. I would build something to run from the camera base down to the tripod mount for support. Thats just me tho.

The lens mount on the C300 is quite strong and reinforced. In fact, the only weight is from the C300 itself. Custom adapters (very thick and overkill) mount up to the camera. A 300 2.8L EF IS has more weight and stress on the lens mount than the scientific optic did. That's why the optic is on a support and the C300 is just cruising along with it.

sponsored links
PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 17, 2012 00:06 |  #362

charro callado wrote in post #14723683 (external link)
It would worry me too, but I have to think that Canon designed the mount knowing that somebody would throw a 300 2.8 on there or something ridiculous like that. Unless there is specific language in the user manual stating that "the body should not be configured in a manner that allows the mount to support the weight of the camera..."

Agreed on the last statement. The lens mounts on the camera are QUITE strong. There are multiple 1/2 inch SS screws with industrial threadlocking compound (Canon recipe - not standard stuff) that holds the lens mount in place. Granted, as long as you don't present it with LOTS of shock or loading (like keeping it attached in a luggage case while at a luggage handling facility) then you will be fine.

About the only lens mount "snap" that I've seen was through 13 feet drops on concrete. And in the airport claim / handling facility where they're known to be "gentle" (less than 1000 Gs) on luggage. If this happens, the screws are meant to snap and the repairs are fairly easy. But it takes quite a bit to break the SS hardened screws.

Interesting sidenote - the lenses that have the plastic barrels - the barrels will snap in predetermined locations rather than having the screws break. 24-70 2.8L, 75-300, etc. The lens mount on the camera is not as fragile as most people think.

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 18, 2012 10:56 |  #363

PM01 wrote in post #14727479 (external link)
The lens mount on the C300 is quite strong and reinforced. In fact, the only weight is from the C300 itself. Custom adapters (very thick and overkill) mount up to the camera. A 300 2.8L EF IS has more weight and stress on the lens mount than the scientific optic did. That's why the optic is on a support and the C300 is just cruising along with it.

Im sure it's built well etc.. but still, I tend to overbuild things as it is (thats just me). If I had spend $15000 on a camera I would at least add a rail from body-base to lens base if the lens is over a certain size. it just makes structural sense. I know the cam doesnt way that much...but $15000!!! I would baby it.

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 18, 2012 18:03 as a reply to  @ StaticMedia's post |  #364

I'm more worried about the optic. Only about 40 were ever made, world wide. The camera - plenty of them, relatively speaking. But certainly more than 40 existing world wide.

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 19, 2012 09:55 |  #365

PM01 wrote in post #14736668 (external link)
I'm more worried about the optic. Only about 40 were ever made, world wide. The camera - plenty of them, relatively speaking. But certainly more than 40 existing world wide.

That too! $12,500 is an expensive telescope. Are you shooting galaxies? satellites? ufo's? Would love to see what it captures.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 19, 2012 10:22 |  #366

The longer this thread goes on; the more outrageous the rigs get.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 19, 2012 11:19 |  #367

StaticMedia wrote in post #14739639 (external link)
That too! $12,500 is an expensive telescope. Are you shooting galaxies? satellites? ufo's? Would love to see what it captures.

It can't capture much due to the chicago light pollution, at least not astro wise anyways. But if it was out in darker skies... :)

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 19, 2012 11:20 |  #368

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #14739747 (external link)
The longer this thread goes on; the more outrageous the rigs get.

:cool:

I'm waiting for the Mr. Fusion powered one. Alongside Mr. Radar and Mr. Coffee.

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 19, 2012 17:25 |  #369

Just starting to shoot video with my 5d mk 3 and decided i would add my gopro to the mix using a hot shoe to tripod with the gopro on a tripod mount

From the 5d.3

IMAGE: http://greenscreenhawaii.smugmug.com/photos/i-BQw85dT/0/M/i-BQw85dT-M.jpg

Fropm the Gopro (yes it mounted to low, i have since increased its height )
IMAGE: http://greenscreenhawaii.smugmug.com/photos/i-Z5rJZw8/0/M/i-Z5rJZw8-M.jpg

View My Flickr (external link)

LordBrian
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 20, 2012 02:59 |  #370

LONDON808 wrote in post #14741468 (external link)
Just starting to shoot video with my 5d mk 3 and decided i would add my gopro to the mix using a hot shoe to tripod with the gopro on a tripod mount

I do the same with a Sony HX9V but it does get a little heavy, i suspect the GoPro is a lot lighter and therefore easier to use.

Canon 7D | EF 100-400mm L my favourite bits of kit
http://blog.depicus.co​m (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Vimeo (external link) - 500px (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 20, 2012 03:48 |  #371

PM01 wrote in post #14740008 (external link)
:cool:

I'm waiting for the Mr. Fusion powered one. Alongside Mr. Radar and Mr. Coffee.

Hmm, I don't know about the first two, but Mr. Coffee piques my interest. :lol:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i418.photobucke​t.com …63/ThisIsHey/RD​C/lens.jpg (external link)
IMAGE: http://www.heavy-backpack.com/wp-content/img_upload/canon50mm_coffee.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5239/5878513360_250704861d_b.jpg

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 20, 2012 08:10 |  #372

LONDON808 wrote in post #14741468 (external link)

Great idea! I should try that with mine. I love the GoPro because there are not many places I am afraid to mount it. The angles are endless.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 20, 2012 15:31 |  #373

Wow Ive never seen the 17-35 or 50 1.2 mugs before. One of these day I hope they come out with one of a lens I actually own! Sheesh.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 20, 2012 21:43 |  #374

I could go for one of those right about now... :)

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #14743437 (external link)
Hmm, I don't know about the first two, but Mr. Coffee piques my interest. :lol:

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 22, 2012 09:54 |  #375

ben_r_ wrote in post #14745869 (external link)
Wow Ive never seen the 17-35 or 50 1.2 mugs before. One of these day I hope they come out with one of a lens I actually own! Sheesh.

17-35 is probably a photoshop; the 24-105 definitely exists, along with the 70-200 f/4, 50L I have no idea... if that's photoshop'd, it's well done.
Apparently the AF/IS mode switches can actually be toggled, and they have the same rubber zoom/focus grips as the actual lens... if the one on your lens wears out you can just swap it from the mug!

It's also not out of the question that people might actually be making their own mugs from broken lenses. (Though I'm honestly not sure how broken an L lens has to get before you'd consider making a mug out of it.)

sponsored links

184,985 views & 9 likes for this thread
Show us your rigs!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.