Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tell me I should :)

regatta
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 19, 2012 22:08 |  #16

Get the 5D3, use it for a few months and sell it to me, please! Cheers!!!!

Sam
7D and saving for 600mm

sponsored links
sambarino
549 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 19, 2012 22:17 |  #17

I have been 'upgrading' my cameras for almost 40 years. Photography was, is, and always will be a hobby to me. Not even once have I kidded myself that I NEEDED the camera. I wanted it. I could afford it. I bought it. I will be retiring in March of 2013. My retirement gift to myself is going to be a 5D3 and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II. And, no, I don't need that one either. I just want it. Go buy yourself a camera.

ShutterSnappy
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 19, 2012 22:26 |  #18

lol, i think if i do buy it after a few months i could still sell it and likely get back what i paid... may not be a bad idea if it is indeed too much machine for me.

Sambarino you make a great point!

I told the guy id call him tomorrow and let him no for sure so i think ill sleep on it and see what happens. Ill keep you guys posted.

- Canon 5D3- - Canon 70-200 f4L IS - - Canon 50mm 1.4 - Canon 85mm 1.8 - - Sigma 35 1.4 -Speedlite 430 EX II

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jul 19, 2012 22:33 as a reply to  @ ShutterSnappy's post |  #19

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey ShutterSnappy,

I also have a new born (well....he'll be 1 year old on July 25th!) but I've been following his growth with good glass and a 7D.

The 60D sensor is VERY good.

The 7D is better, if you need the AF and don't need the 60D's swivelling screen.

But looking at your situation with my hindsight, I'd say that glass will make the difference, mainly because to get those stunning shots, you need to control the depth of field accurately - and FF won't make that big a difference if you have good glass on a 60D/7D and know how to use it.

Regards,

Simon
[Who knows there are a lot of OTHER costs about having a newborn!!!!]

PS: I'd recommend getting a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 before you get a new body.

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

ShutterSnappy
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 19, 2012 22:46 |  #20

Skygod thanks for your input and Ill certainly look into the Sigma 30mm 1.4

- Canon 5D3- - Canon 70-200 f4L IS - - Canon 50mm 1.4 - Canon 85mm 1.8 - - Sigma 35 1.4 -Speedlite 430 EX II

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 19, 2012 22:46 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #21

Go take some technically sound (up to you, not the camera) pics at mid iso (1600 ish) Make some biggish (12x18" or so) prints. Frame them up and put them on the wall. You might be surprised how good your current camera is.

Then sit back, relax about the gear upgrade and use your saved money to invest in lenses. Leave the high end kit for when it pays for itself.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

ShutterSnappy
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 19, 2012 22:55 |  #22

Don't get me wrong guys. I really do like my 60D..I was really excited when i bought it and i have taken a lot of keepers with it.

I think its a personal issue I have with wanting the latest technology and when i think i find a good deal its hard to pass up. Patience is a virtue i lack..

I do appreciate everybody's replies.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 19, 2012 22:57 |  #23

ShutterSnappy wrote in post #14742731 (external link)
Don't get me wrong guys. I really do like my 60D..I was really excited when i bought it and i have taken a lot of keepers with it.

I think its a personal issue I have with wanting the latest technology and when i think i find a good deal its hard to pass up. Patience is a virtue i lack..

I do appreciate everybody's replies.

Post pics when you get it! :p ;)

Kel
Gear

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jul 19, 2012 23:02 |  #24

ShutterSnappy wrote in post #14742677 (external link)
Skygod thanks for your input and Ill certainly look into the Sigma 30mm 1.4

You're welcome.
And I found these shots when my son was born.

POST #3996 top pic
and
POSTS #4007 & #4011

Honestly...lenses make all the difference these days, unless you're really pushing your camera to its limits - which very few POTNers do!

Regards,
Simon
:D

PS: Bear in mind, these are reduced for web. The prints I have are stunning! :-)

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

ShutterSnappy
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 20, 2012 02:14 |  #25

I think im going to hold off on the mkd3..for now at least. .

investing in glass instead. I have no L glass, I'm now leaning heavily towards the 35L 1.4 . Would be awesome for video as well. that should give me the 50mm feel im lacking with my 50mm 1.4 (sad huh)

Ehh well see. i should go to sleep.

DreamMaker23
604 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 20, 2012 08:54 |  #26

ShutterSnappy wrote in post #14743322 (external link)
I think im going to hold off on the mkd3..for now at least. .

investing in glass instead. I have no L glass, I'm now leaning heavily towards the 35L 1.4 . Would be awesome for video as well. that should give me the 50mm feel im lacking with my 50mm 1.4 (sad huh)

Ehh well see. i should go to sleep.

Welcome to the forum Shutter!

I was going to say if you want a full frame body, go with 5D Mark II.
You won't need to sell much to get it. And I'm pretty sure you can stick with that forever.
But yes, just make sure you are satisfy with the purchase. And move on to building your bundle. (Glass, Speedlites, etc..etc..)

Later Dude! bw!

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,910 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 20, 2012 10:32 as a reply to  @ DreamMaker23's post |  #27

Welcome. Do you need the 5DMIII, or do you want it? Buy the EF glass now. You can always use it with the FF camera that you purchase later.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 20, 2012 11:14 |  #28

DreamMaker23 wrote in post #14744102 (external link)
Welcome to the forum Shutter!

I was going to say if you want a full frame body, go with 5D Mark II.
You won't need to sell much to get it. And I'm pretty sure you can stick with that forever.
But yes, just make sure you are satisfy with the purchase. And move on to building your bundle. (Glass, Speedlites, etc..etc..)

Later Dude! bw!

He might not have to sell much to get it, but he'll have to sell much (10-22, 55-250) to use it.

Also, I'm getting the impression that he definitely won't stick with it forever.;):)

My Gear

Negativ3
83 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 20, 2012 11:23 |  #29

My 7d hasn't left the dry cab since the 5D MkIII landed. Just gets the camera out of the way to making fantastic pictures. Glass is definitely top priority.

Andy
My adventures designing a camera trigger... http://stormtrigger.bl​ogspot.com (external link)

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 20, 2012 12:59 |  #30

I see you've decided. Tough call honestly. I'm constantly trying to justify a 5D3 :D

sponsored links

4,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tell me I should :)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.