Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 20 Jul 2012 (Friday) 02:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M: M for Mirrorless

this thread is locked
HoT.Shek
687 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 20, 2012 12:41 |  #61

Mode dial saids it all: Auto, stills, video
This camera is pretty consumer orientated

6D 600D 5Dc 1Dclassic 1DII EOSM
Canon 70-200 小小白IS│24│85│135L
Macro lenses T60mm F/2│S150mm F/2.8│Bokina│CV APO Lanthar SL

sponsored links
Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 20, 2012 12:41 |  #62

edge100 wrote in post #14744867 (external link)
It's not a matter of 'better' or 'worse'. It's a matter of having the right tool for the right job. A hammer is not 'better' than a drill; they do different things.

I have my 1D2 and 5D2 for shooting fast moving objects (1D2), portraits, and events (5D2), my X100 for street photography, and my X-Pro1 for everything except fast-moving objects.

I wouldn't want to lug a 1D2 out for street photography, the same way I wouldn't want to use an X100 for motorsports.

I happen to like having the same size camera for every job! That way I know what it's going to do, and if I have to go to my back up camera, which would be the same as my main body, everything is the same, so it makes the job so much easier.

Hey this is my opinion, and I don't care if anyone else agrees or not.

Also, I have nerve damage in my hands, which causes them to shake. Smaller cameras accentuate this. Larger cameras are much easier to balance, and hold steady. At least for me they are.

Besides, I eat my wheaties, I'm not afraid of a little "heft" in my camera body.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 20, 2012 12:47 |  #63

horrible positioning on those stereo speakers. Didn't canon learn from sony and lumix (panasonic) that if you are going to have stereo mics, put them in the middle of the camera otherwise the hand will block the speakers while doing video.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 20, 2012 12:50 |  #64

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #14745134 (external link)
I happen to like having the same size camera for every job! That way I know what it's going to do, and if I have to go to my back up camera, which would be the same as my main body, everything is the same, so it makes the job so much easier.

Hey this is my opinion, and I don't care if anyone else agrees or not.

Also, I have nerve damage in my hands, which causes them to shake. Smaller cameras accentuate this. Larger cameras are much easier to balance, and hold steady. At least for me they are.

Besides, I eat my wheaties, I'm not afraid of a little "heft" in my camera body.

Ok.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 20, 2012 12:51 |  #65

Why do folks get in to a bit of a huff about this stuff?

I like bigger cameras as well. They are easier to hold; and easier to shoot (for me). I also like having a small camera option for when a big camera just doesn't work (which is quite often for me). Right tool for the right job, as someone else pointed out. We don't need to take sides on big vs small and fight it out.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 20, 2012 12:58 |  #66

mpix345 wrote in post #14745166 (external link)
We don't need to take sides on big vs small and fight it out.

No, we certainly don't.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 20, 2012 13:21 |  #67

I'm not fighting, I'm just stating MY opinion, just like everyone else is.

What's the big deal?

I just don't happen to agree with most of the others. That's all.

Besides, a little disagreement now and then never hurt anyone. It's fun. It livens things up.

But I guess everyone wants to have one big group hug while we all sit around a campfire and sing, "Kumbaya".

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 20, 2012 13:29 as a reply to  @ edge100's post |  #68

Canon releases are a very in-depth study in gearhead psychology. :lol::lol::lol:

I guess some people like cameras more than photography. :p

Sometimes, when I read arguments, such as, "Why would a professional want this POS?" or "It's too small for my sausage fingers!"

I think... Do you ever see people complain that a small city car doesn't have 4WD and 6 feet of ground clearance? How dare Kia make a small car for a target market! I want 4WD and refuse to just buy a real 4WD truck!
Likewise, the same would be to complain that a 4WD truck doesn't get the gas mileage of a small Kia.

My brain just can't comprehend what goes through the minds of some people. :lol:

With that said, I think this might be a hit for Canon's target market, which isn't people looking for 6 feet of ground clearance in their camera. It's not for me, and I'm not going to complain about it either. :p

My 500PX (external link)

JohnTheLuck
84 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 20, 2012 13:51 |  #69

smythie wrote in post #14743683 (external link)
EF-S lenses have white dots too

No, EF-S have white square.

JTL

Canon 7D Mark II, 40D, 20D BG-E2, Speedlite 580EX
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 50 f/1.4 USM, EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 20, 2012 14:04 |  #70

HoT.Shek wrote in post #14745130 (external link)
Mode dial saids it all: Auto, stills, video
This camera is pretty consumer orientated

I'm sure they'll expand it. There are already multiple product lines of SLRs after all. This is just the beginning.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 20, 2012 14:07 as a reply to  @ JohnTheLuck's post |  #71

I've been waiting for a Canon mirror-less for a longtime. But, if the rumored photos are true, I'll spend twice as much and get a Sony NEX-7. The "Canon-mirror-less" looks like a toy. Canon should have jumped pass all the competition and come out with a Leica-like FF mirror-less.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,183 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 20, 2012 14:30 |  #72

Anyone know what price point this may come out at? It doesn't interest me too much, but I'm thinking maybe for my family members- especially if they can put my lenses on if they want to play with something different

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 20, 2012 14:33 |  #73

HyperYagami wrote in post #14745509 (external link)
I'm sure they'll expand it. There are already multiple product lines of SLRs after all. This is just the beginning.

I don't doubt that they'll do that - but I think the priority modes will be menu-based, just not available on the dials.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 20, 2012 14:48 |  #74

oaktree wrote in post #14745516 (external link)
I've been waiting for a Canon mirror-less for a longtime. But, if the rumored photos are true, I'll spend twice as much and get a Sony NEX-7. The "Canon-mirror-less" looks like a toy. Canon should have jumped pass all the competition and come out with a Leica-like FF mirror-less.

This is just one product. It doesn't have to be the whole line. Nex has some bodies very much like this and yet you are saying they are the one to get.

Canon is smart about business. A Leica like FF mirror less would sell in such small quanitities that they would have to charge Leica-like prices to make money. That only works if you are Leica. I mean look at the Fujifilm, it's $2k and it's only APS-C. A FF version would likely be in the $3-4000+ range.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 20, 2012 14:49 |  #75

darosk wrote in post #14745619 (external link)
I don't doubt that they'll do that - but I think the priority modes will be menu-based, just not available on the dials.

I kinda don't think that will be the case, based on history which they never hide those vital stuff buried in the menus, even if it's a touchscreen. But of course never say never...

5D3 and a few lens
es.

sponsored links

27,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M: M for Mirrorless
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.