Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 20 Jul 2012 (Friday) 02:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M: M for Mirrorless

this thread is locked
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 20, 2012 14:51 |  #76

Owain Glyndwr wrote in post #14743789 (external link)
how exactly do you envisage an optical viewfinder without mirrors?

IMAGE: http://www.cameraquest.com/jpg3/m3b.jpg

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 20, 2012 15:05 |  #77

HyperYagami wrote in post #14745682 (external link)
I kinda don't think that will be the case, based on history which they never hide those vital stuff buried in the menus, even if it's a touchscreen. But of course never say never...

Are you suggesting that they won't incorporate the priority modes at all? I highly, highly doubt that. That would set this camera below some of their point and shoots. If they aren't on the dials and buttons, then they're in the menus.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

mpix345
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 20, 2012 15:12 as a reply to  @ darosk's post |  #78

check out the Olympus E-PM1:

IMAGE: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusepm1/images/allroundview.jpg

The screen shot pictured is activated by Menu button. You can go in to each mode and customize however you'd like. Controls are sparse, but by activating the Super Control Panel you just push the OK button to access most key parameters (ISO, exp comp, etc.).

The curious thing is that is Oly's lower end model, pretty much targeted as the step up option for P&S owners. Maybe Canon is shooting for the same demographic with their first mirrorless option. I think most of us were hoping for a shot across the bow of the E-M5. I think we'll need to be patient.

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jul 20, 2012 15:14 |  #79

I just measured the sensor in relationship to the mount which I sized from the relationship to the 43mm front filter threads on the 22mm lens.

I came up with ~20.5mm x 15mm for the cutout size in the plastic directly in front of the sensor. This would suggest that the sensor is slightly smaller than Canon APS-C (22.2mm x 14.8mm) or my calculations are a hair off and the plastic is cut PERFECTLY to the Canon APS-C size with pretty much no buffer and the sensor is indeed 22.2mm x 14.8mm. Either way, the masking cut-out looks closer to a 3:2 ratio than 4:3 ratio, so read into that what you will (APS-C = 3:2, 1.5" = 4:3).

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

AngryCorgi
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jul 20, 2012 15:20 |  #80

I just got an RX100 and I LOVE it, but I ain't gonna lie...the EOS-M shown looks pretty good to me. If it's the 1.5" sensor, then the lens works out to be a 41mm lens with f/3.7-ish DOF (in 35mm equivalence), which is very, very similar to the much-loved panny 20/1.7 (40mm @ f/3.4).

The only fly in the ointment to my eyes is the lack of a proper mode dial. That Nikon-1-ish mode dial on top reminds me of everything I dislike in the Nikon J1/V1s I've tried.

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 20, 2012 15:21 |  #81

mpix345 wrote in post #14745784 (external link)
check out the Olympus E-PM1:

Yup, it isn't a far stretch at all to imagine that many of the options will be menu based. You may not be far off as far as the demographics thing goes.

Gear

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 20, 2012 15:23 |  #82

AngryCorgi wrote in post #14745819 (external link)
That Nikon-1-ish mode dial on top reminds me of everything I dislike in the Nikon J1/V1s I've tried.

Canonrumors seems to agree with you. I think Canon only sees Nikon as it's direct competition - to Canon, everything everyone else does is inconsequential :lol:

Gear

illinifan
160 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 20, 2012 15:25 |  #83

Looks like a real hot shoe. One thing I don't like about the Nex is you're limited to their small flash. Would be nice to be able to throw a 430 on this thing when you want.

S95

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 20, 2012 15:33 |  #84

darosk wrote in post #14745736 (external link)
Are you suggesting that they won't incorporate the priority modes at all? I highly, highly doubt that. That would set this camera below some of their point and shoots. If they aren't on the dials and buttons, then they're in the menus.

yeah i hope so too. but you know canon DID cripple there stuff in the past...

5D3 and a few lens
es.

AngryCorgi
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 20, 2012 15:35 |  #85

Anyone have a guess at the price of the body and the body/prime combo??

For those expecting "competitive pricing":

IMAGE: http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/758/Rape-Ewok-PREPARE-YOUR-ANUS.jpg

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 20, 2012 15:51 |  #86

darosk wrote in post #14745736 (external link)

Yeah, the lack of dials on the body suggests to me that the screen is actually a touchscreen.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 20, 2012 15:52 |  #87

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #14745320 (external link)
I'm not fighting, I'm just stating MY opinion, just like everyone else is.

What's the big deal?

I just don't happen to agree with most of the others. That's all.

Besides, a little disagreement now and then never hurt anyone. It's fun. It livens things up.

But I guess everyone wants to have one big group hug while we all sit around a campfire and sing, "Kumbaya".

The thing is, most people are saying, "some people like small cameras", or at least, "there's a use in small cameras", without ever denying that big cameras have a place as well.

I just don't see what you're admitting to disagreeing with.

Keebert
613 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 20, 2012 16:21 |  #88

I wonder why they made such a large mount if it's a new size? The sensor only takes up a tiny amount of the available space. Perhaps they are leaving room for a larger sensor in the future?

5D3, 50/1.4, 40/2.8, 24-105L, 100L, 70-200L II, 400/5.6L, 600EX-RT, Zuiko 28/2.8, flickr (external link)

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 20, 2012 16:46 |  #89

HyperYagami wrote in post #14745875 (external link)
yeah i hope so too. but you know canon DID cripple there stuff in the past...

Funny comment as I've been thinking of the original EF-M. It was an EOS film camera back in the early 90's I suppose. The EF-M was Manual Focus only!...............it did not sell too well. :lol:

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 20, 2012 16:48 |  #90

tkbslc wrote in post #14745674 (external link)
This is just one product. It doesn't have to be the whole line. Nex has some bodies very much like this and yet you are saying they are the one to get.

Canon is smart about business. A Leica like FF mirror less would sell in such small quanitities that they would have to charge Leica-like prices to make money. That only works if you are Leica. I mean look at the Fujifilm, it's $2k and it's only APS-C. A FF version would likely be in the $3-4000+ range.

True. A FF would cost a lot. Anyway, just came back from my local photo shop to get a T4i body>>>RECALLED :(:(:(

But,got to handle a NEX-7>>SWEET :D:D:D The photo of the Canon mirror-less still looks like a toy compared to the NEX-7.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

sponsored links

27,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M: M for Mirrorless
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.