Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jul 2012 (Monday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IS Problems with Canon 17-55mm f/2.8

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 20, 2012 10:20 |  #16

The first time you zoom it, expect it to get dust in there again :)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links
dereknitrorc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 20, 2012 10:24 |  #17

I take it this is a common issue as well for this lens? Before there was nothing in there and when I got it back there was a white space in there. I am having the same issue with my 50mm and so I shipped it along with the lens to get an estimate on how much it will cost to have it cleaned out.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 20, 2012 12:25 |  #18

Every lens (that is not sealed) will get dust in it. It will not have any affect on your photos at all. Lenses that have moving barrels in particular will tend to pull dust into them as they "breathe" and let air in and out as the internal volume of the lens changes. Also the 50s will do that too since the front element moves while focusing.

I have heard some owners of the 17-55 say they have had good luck keeping dust out by putting a filter on the front of it and thus sealing front element preventing the air from coming in around it and sucking the dust in from around the front of the lens. If you do that get a really good one that is in the same class as the glass in the 17-55 like the new Hoya EVO filters.

Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,636 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 20, 2012 12:30 |  #19

Does this happen when you hand-hold the camera?? You have it resting on a table and IS may not perform well when on a table or tripod. It tries to counteract its own movement.

Doug
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

crazybryan
30 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 20, 2012 12:35 as a reply to  @ post 14745035 |  #20

Ive had 17-55 for 4 years now and no dust!! I keep a cir polarizer on it always... I take it everywhere

40D, 17-55IS2.8, 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII

dereknitrorc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 20, 2012 12:37 |  #21

Keyan wrote in post #14745051 (external link)
Every lens (that is not sealed) will get dust in it. It will not have any affect on your photos at all. Lenses that have moving barrels in particular will tend to pull dust into them as they "breathe" and let air in and out as the internal volume of the lens changes. Also the 50s will do that too since the front element moves while focusing.

I have heard some owners of the 17-55 say they have had good luck keeping dust out by putting a filter on the front of it and thus sealing front element preventing the air from coming in around it and sucking the dust in from around the front of the lens. If you do that get a really good one that is in the same class as the glass in the 17-55 like the new Hoya EVO filters.

It came with a high end Canon filter that should be in the same class if not higher.

Naturalist wrote in post #14745072 (external link)
Does this happen when you hand-hold the camera?? You have it resting on a table and IS may not perform well when on a table or tripod. It tries to counteract its own movement.

It did it as soon as the camera was turned on no matter whether it was stationary or moving.

crazybryan wrote in post #14745090 (external link)
Ive had 17-55 for 4 years now and no dust!! I keep a cir polarizer on it always... I take it everywhere

I need to get a CPL for it, I really do. I wouldn't keep it on it 24/7 though, I do too much indoor photography for that.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 20, 2012 13:03 |  #22

Yeah, mine had some dust in it, right now it's at Canon for a recheck after they shipped it back to me loose in the box the first time (sigh). It was front focusing when I first got it so they had to recalibrate it. It's been working fine, I think, but it seems to have quite a bit of red/blue fringing in certain situations that I don't think it should so they are going to give it a recheck. When it comes back hopefully it's clean and I got a 77mm Hoya EVO waiting to put on it.

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 21, 2012 15:46 |  #23

Keyan wrote in post #14745051 (external link)
I have heard some owners of the 17-55 say they have had good luck keeping dust out by putting a filter on the front of it and thus sealing front element preventing the air from coming in around it and sucking the dust in from around the front of the lens.

Any lens that extends when zoomed or focused will draw air into the interior when it's extended and push it out when it's collapsed.

The 17-55 sucks in approximately 90 cc of air every time it's zoomed from 17 to 55 mm, and with this air comes dust. Some of the dust will go back out when the lens is zoomed back, and some will stay behind. Nothing you can do about it.

A filter on the front will reduce or eliminate dust behind the front element, all right. But that just means more will come in through the rear and settle where you can't see it so easily.

If that makes for a happy lens owner, good for him. ;)

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 22, 2012 10:00 |  #24

I own a 17-55:
Hoya UV filter? Check
Dust under front element? Check
Awesome IQ? Check

Photography is the art of exclusion

sponsored links

3,433 views & 0 likes for this thread
IS Problems with Canon 17-55mm f/2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.