Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
Thread started 08 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 16:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Proper Plastic Bottle Technique

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 08, 2012 16:47 |  #1

I have searched online for a proper plastic bottle photography tutorial/video. The problem I have is that the surface is very reflective as well as the bottle label. Me being an amateur am having a difficult time with this project. I have my DIY product box (card board box, tissue paper), speedotron 1601 lights, and my xti. I have seen many video tuts for wine bottles, beer bottles but although they may be the same technique, not getting the results I am looking for.

Does anyone know of a link that may be helpful.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 22, 2012 12:41 |  #2

If you are using a lightbox, use black sides and also figure out a way to black out the background. Basically you'd need a black backdrop behind the object so there is nothing to reflect. You'll also need to flag any light sources to prevent them from hitting you/the camera itself or that would be in the reflection as well.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 22, 2012 15:07 |  #3

Thanks for the help. I will definitely try your method now that I just got a background support with black backdrop. Will need to create a new lightbox with black sides.

yurka
44 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 22, 2012 23:46 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #4

I helped in photo-shoot of metallic bottles that were reflective as hell :) We could see all around the bottle in reflations. It was terrible.
When you are dealing with reflective surfaces it actually the surrounding that you should be looking at and not the product itself.
Our solution was to put bottle on white paper that go all the way to the back and put strobe with 60x60 soft box relay close to the bottle (I mean 10cm from it) on the left. This will give you very soft light. On the right we put white reflector (in our case it was only soft box 60x60 without strobe). Again 10cm (or less) from subject. Then we put two long ( at least longer then product) black strips of paper between the soft boxes and the bottle (2cm wide) to give the bottle edges.
The strobe was powered at the minimum power.
My 5 cents.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-
| 5D III | 24-70 f2.8 L | 70-200 f4 L |

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 23, 2012 13:37 |  #5

Thanks yurka. Although I don't have softboxes will umbrellas be able to provide that "soft light". Also my speedotron 1604 lights give alot of power even at 1/4 power. These only have 3 settings: 1/4 - 1/2 - Full.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 23, 2012 13:42 |  #6

firme wrote in post #14757678 (external link)
Thanks yurka. Although I don't have softboxes will umbrellas be able to provide that "soft light". Also my speedotron 1604 lights give alot of power even at 1/4 power. These only have 3 settings: 1/4 - 1/2 - Full.

The advantage of the softbox over the umbrella is the shape and detail in the reflection. In a softbox you get square reflections which people are accustomed to seeing inside. With the umbrella they are round and show up more clearly as round hot spots. The other problem is that if the umbrella is in reflective mode you can often see the ribs of the umbrella in the reflection.

yurka
44 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 23, 2012 15:47 |  #7

gonzogolf is right. Umbrella will give hard light. What you can try to do is building tend from white cloth and use the umbrella. The layers of clothe will do two things. First soften the light and second "eat" part of the light.
I am using a non-professional kit of strobes from ebay. Three strobess and stands, two softboxes, two umbrellas and remote cost me 300$. The downside as it not professional kit the minimum power on strobes (it 250 strobes) too powerful. So I use extra layers of white cloth as well :-)

-
| 5D III | 24-70 f2.8 L | 70-200 f4 L |

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 23, 2012 16:34 |  #8

thanks guys.. very helpful information. hopefully can make another box and provide a new picture soon.

sponsored links

3,428 views & 0 likes for this thread
Proper Plastic Bottle Technique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.