Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 22, 2012 10:44 |  #811

I figure someone is going to ask for examples. Here are a couple taken yesterday, straight out of the camera except for resizing (using the Zeiss 21mm).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

sponsored links
MomentForeverImage
203 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 22, 2012 10:46 |  #812

I am having the same problem.

Not only with evaluative metering. But with spot metering as well.

sdipirro wrote in post #14751989 (external link)
I've been doing some preliminary testing with my new 1D X. For the most part, the camera seems to be functioning properly. However, when shooting in Av mode with evaluative metering (I haven't yet tried the other metering modes), I'm consistently getting underexposed images...like a full stop underexposed. I can flip over to M mode and use the sunny 16 rule and get a nice bell curve histogram, but evaluative metering in Av mode isn't giving me the results I expect. I'm still assuming it's pilot error until I can prove otherwise. It seemed really bad when I used the Zeiss 21 with severe vignetting in addition to the underexposure. In fact, it looked like I had shot at night with a flash on the camera. I'm wondering what's going on and if anyone has suggestions of things to try. Thanks.

http://www.momentforev​erimage.com/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/MomentForeverImage (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 22, 2012 11:49 |  #813

Anyone test out shadow recovery yet? :)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 229 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 22, 2012 12:08 as a reply to  @ jdizzle's post |  #814

You might want to make sure that "Lens Peripheral Illumination" is enabled. It should be enabled by default but if not, it will give you a vignetted look similar to how your example image looks.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 22, 2012 12:20 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #815

First chance this week to get out with the 1D X.

HOSTED PHOTO

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,061 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 22, 2012 12:45 |  #816

MomentForeverImage wrote in post #14752041 (external link)
I am having the same problem.

Not only with evaluative metering. But with spot metering as well.

Same here. I just bump exposure compensation up a tad and deal. But every raw I pull into PS shows 2/3-1 stop underexposed.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 22, 2012 12:57 |  #817

And that doesn't seem like a slight problem for a $6800 camera? Well, I've been doing more methodical experimentation today, and I'm not seeing the same results as yesterday, and I have no explanation. I'm seeing better, more consistent results today with the 3 lenses I'm testing with. In manual mode, I find the shutter speed and f-stop and ISO that gives me the correct exposure. Then I'm switching to Av mode, setting the same aperture and ISO, and see what the camera chooses for shutter speed..and compare the histograms. It's actually behaving the way it should. Slight variations are expected, and the different metering modes are also doing what they should. I double-checked lens peripheral illumination and CA settings, and both are enabled. However, the camera has no data for the Zeiss 21mm, and that might be part of the problem. Although today, I'm not seeing the same thing. ACR has lens data for the Zeiss, and I applied that to see how it did the adjustments. Anyway, back to more experimenting! Seems very odd that I'm seeing different results today.

Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 22, 2012 13:04 as a reply to  @ sdipirro's post |  #818

The 1DX box has been sitting here, still in its packaging, in the office for the week. I have had to move it once or twice this week and the thing that immediately struck me was the noticeable weight of the box. I believe it is 5.5oz heavier than the 1D Mk4, which I have been using for a couple of years now. So the following comments are a first impression of the 1DX, in comparison to the 1D Mk4.

The surface of the camera is noticeably different to the touch from my present 1d Mk4. The 1DX definitely under exposes constantly. One of the main issues already talked about is the lack of the red illumination auto focus points. It is quite different to get used to. A little AF symbol does come on in the bottom right hand corner when focus lock is achieved. However, I moved the camera’s focus up and down the heron’s head to see if the AF symbol would go off, and the AF symbol remained on, but there was clearly lack of focus on some parts of the heron’s head. However, the auto focus system is blisteringly fast and the quality and resolution is excellent. One thing that is clearly different from the ID Mk 4 is the burst rate. With a motor driving the mirror up and a second motor driving the mirror back down, you do not notice the burst passing. It is very silent compared with the 1D Mk4. It is not until the final few images of the burst and the shutter is released do you notice the little noise of it resetting itself.

I will take a run out to Eagle Heights this week and give it a go with much faster birds in flight. So at the moment the jury is still out between the 1DX and my old 1D Mk 4 which it is supposed to be replacing.

MomentForeverImage
203 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 22, 2012 13:12 |  #819

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #14752459 (external link)
Same here. I just bump exposure compensation up a tad and deal. But every raw I pull into PS shows 2/3-1 stop underexposed.

Yeah I use exposure compensation as well

Just don't get it. What is with the metering system of 1dx.

http://www.momentforev​erimage.com/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/MomentForeverImage (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,061 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 22, 2012 13:23 |  #820

sdipirro wrote in post #14752492 (external link)
And that doesn't seem like a slight problem for a $6800 camera?

Exactly. It's a slight problem.

The workaround is trivial and the issue can/will be fixed with a firmware update. Per your post it may not even be a consistent issue - although that would be harder to deal with... :P

Frankly, I expected worse being a bleeding edge early adopter. The camera hasn't locked up, it's taking amazing pictures, auto focus is better than I expected, ISO performance is astounding, dynamic range is impressive and so on.

I haven't even started tapping some of the more esoteric features yet. I haven't done anything with auto-ISO, HDR (in camera or otherwise) or any of the multiple exposure stuff. I haven't done MA for any of my glass (don't think I need to) and I haven't really tweaked any of the configuration other than setting up back button focus.

Heck, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the manual!

There are probably a few other glitches tucked away in there somewhere. My 5D2 is on firmware version 2.1.1. The 1Dx on 1.0.2.

BTW, the camera does support AE and FE microadjustment. Not sure I wan to play with that right now... :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 22, 2012 13:46 as a reply to  @ Erik S. Klein's post |  #821

I'm a little confused by the post about the size of the 1D X compared to the 1D4. I had them side by side, and I swear the 1D4 seems larger and heavier. Anyway, no big difference in the feel for me. The focus point illumination thing is a little odd. I think I prefer the 1D4 in that regard. I tested all my lenses with a focus test chart, and I didn't find any MA necessary. Even the psychotic 50L seemed to be on the money. For now, I'll leave MA disabled until I find a lens that seems to need it. Nice that the 1D X allows you to set the MA at both ends of a zoom lens. I like that.

I want to add that I really haven't found anything else wrong with the camera except for the exposure issue, and I agree that it appears to be something that could be corrected with a firmware update. So I'm not particularly worried as long as everything else seems work. I'm running it through the ringer because I have an upcoming paid shoot that's a big deal for me, and while I'll have the 1D4 as a backup, I still want to feel confident with the 1D X.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 22, 2012 14:01 |  #822

MomentForeverImage wrote in post #14752532 (external link)
What is with the metering system of 1dx.

You seem to making an assumption that the camera shipped with a flaky metering system. I think the wise thing to do would be to wait until people have some experience under their belt with this body and then if they have issues with it they should contact Canon. I can say that I have given mine a slight workout and am not getting the same problems that are being posted.

I never took a shot with the camera before I had gone through the menus and got my settings to the way I like them. The defaults have never been my way of shooting but each person has to set these to what works for them.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 22, 2012 14:03 |  #823

Similar complaints about metering when the 5D3 was released.

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2012 14:08 as a reply to  @ dgrPhotos's post |  #824

Yes, more than likely a simple firmware fix, possibly not. sdipirro got different results, same conditions, from one day to the next. This gets my attention.

Jim

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 22, 2012 15:56 as a reply to  @ jemanner's post |  #825

First day out with the camera. These shots were from the National Hovercraft Racing Championships at Towcester UK.

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/HCraft1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/HCraft2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/HCraft3.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/HCraft4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/HCraft5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/HCraft6.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/HCraft7.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/HCraft8.jpg

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

sponsored links

3,625,572 views & 4,956 likes for this thread
1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.