Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 21 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

too polite?

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,651 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 21, 2012 21:07 |  #1

so i had the evening to myself while the family was out at some other family thing...

i went to dinner and then wandered around town. theres never much going on 'after hours' in my town but i looked at the architecture and did some window shopping...

walked by a guy who i think was probably a worker of some kind at a restaurant downtown, sitting on the window ledge getting ready to smoke...

i walked up to him and offered my card and asked if he minded if i shot a couple of pics of him. he kind of got all defensive as if he thought i was going to exploit the images for commercial gain but i was just looking to do some shooting...

he handed me back the card and said no thanks...

being perpetually tired (from 72 hour weeks) and fed up with an idiot boss, i ALMOST told him that as long as he was outside the building, he was fair game and that i could photograph him with no repercussions, until he reentered the building. i thought of shooting him from across the street as i wandered on but the lens was too short. i love the 70-200 f2.8 but DANG is it heavy for schlepping around!

as long as i was in the area i kept fighting the urge to go back over to him and start shooting just on general principles...

the lighting was getting pretty flat but i still think he would have been good material...

sponsored links
paintballkidz
757 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 21, 2012 21:13 |  #2

some people just dont want to be photographed.. move on, that is all.
If I was being photographed with out my consent despite telling you to not photograph me you might be walking away with a broken camera or worst a jaw.

6D
24L

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 21, 2012 21:15 |  #3

Some people, like myself, do not like to have their picture taken. He could have just been being a jerk, but I am pretty sure he hasn't ever been asked that before and who knows, maybe he was having a bad day.

I would ask and if they say "no thanks", I would move along. I wouldn't expect a high percentage of people to agree to someone walking up and asking to take pictures.....not unless your on Bourbon Street ;)

I don't think you were too polite...I think you should have been polite and if someone doesn't want their picture taken, abide by their wishes.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 21, 2012 22:48 |  #4

I would do the same thing if someone came up to me like that. It's not being jerky at all... some people like myself just feel VERY UNCOMFORTABLE being photographed by strangers. In my experience, females accept photographers offers more often than male.

I always tell them, "It's strictly for my learning experience. If you contact me, I can send you the finished photos and if you give me permission, I will upload it to websites where fellow photographers can critique my work and provide advice. If you don't contact me at all or if you specifically tell me not to upload it... I will never upload it but you can still keep the images for yourself."

Works like a charm.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

12Rock
635 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 21, 2012 23:21 as a reply to  @ fashionrider's post |  #5

Look at it this way , you DID THE RIGHT THING. You do not play the jerk today . None of us here have walked that mans shoes on this day and will never know the weight on his shoulders. Yep you could have snapped away . In this guys mind at that moment , you did the right thing....Yep we need more of that in many a way :lol:

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 22, 2012 04:59 |  #6

Let it go

My Gear My Flickr (external link)
some feedback
Like my photos? Then "like" my Facebook page! (external link)

Hairyman
105 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 22, 2012 05:35 |  #7

I'd say you did the right thing.

I think a significant minority of people might feel the same way as the fellow you encountered.

I've had my best shots (I'm not saying they are worth looking at! ;) ) when I'm in a wide open frequently populated places.

Some of it is being ubiquitous in the environment either because of your demographic (ie there's a bajillion other people wandering around with cameras) or because you are a frequent feature of that location (people see you down there a lot and so you become a part of the furniture).

If you are an ubiquitous feature then you are lost in plain sight.

All the gear and no idea.

http://pacalisdomum.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)http://pacalisdomum.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

russ71satellite
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 22, 2012 07:43 |  #8

Agree with the above posts. Got to leave the guy alone, and be respectful of his privacy. Too many weirdos running around these days, so most people are going to be suspicious and skeptical.

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.
https://www.facebook.c​om/Rj2photoconcepts1?r​ef=h (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …s/rj2_photoconc​epts/page1 (external link)flickr

sallem
31 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 22, 2012 10:06 |  #9

You asked...he said no...why would you then want to proceed and take his picture? If you're going to photograph on 'principle', then don't ask, unless you're prepared to respect someone saying "no."

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 22, 2012 10:19 |  #10

As mentioned - you were nice enough to ask and he had the option to decline. Would not pursue it beyond that. I take countless pics but if I see a lens pointed my way I turn my head - just rather not be in a shot. Sure shooting from a distance will work for many - but realistically, being polite is never a bad thing.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

Helena
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 22, 2012 11:15 |  #11

Agree with the others; you did right, but...

Personally I don't mind at all if people photograph me in the streets (it has happened several times) as long as it's not to make fun of me or something. However, when they ask first I get embarrassed, and sometimes also suspicious and wonder what the photo will be used for if they feel they need to ask first, so I often end up saying no.

Flickr (external link)

leeport
817 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 22, 2012 16:23 |  #12

No means no. I think you did right by asking his permission. When he told you no...thats what it means.
Move on...after all....its not like he was the only person on the street.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,712 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 22, 2012 16:28 |  #13

paintballkidz wrote in post #14750345 (external link)
If I was being photographed with out my consent despite telling you to not photograph me you might be walking away with a broken camera or worst a jaw.

Same with me.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,211 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 22, 2012 17:03 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #14

I never ask permission to shoot! Legally, you don't need permission in public areas (however you do need permission for certain uses).

If I ask permission to shoot, my subject will be aware of the camera and most likely will not act naturally.

I use a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens which is light enough not to weigh me down and with which I can stay off a distance and catch people unawares. I carry my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens everywhere and the comparative light weight is one reason I selected this lens over the f/2.8L (series) lenses...

Additionally, since I am very proficient in setting up my image and shooting quickly, my subjects seldom even notice me shooting.

IMAGE: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/CHINA-FOCUS-TOUR-2010-GUILIN/Guilin-Two-girls/869470225_ehxvk-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …69470225&k=ehxv​k&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

If they do notice me, the shot is already Fait Accompli.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 22, 2012 21:14 |  #15

Have we gotten to the point where people think they're being TOO polite by respecting a stranger's wishes? :rolleyes:

I thought you conducted yourself like an actual professional...and then you thought about ignoring someone's right to decline. Oh well, this is our world... ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links

8,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
too polite?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.