Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M officially announced

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2012 00:41 |  #31

This camera, from what I read so far, is lacking some major features comparing to it's competition. I want a MLIC and I am deciding between the Oly, Fuji and Canon. I want Canon honestly because I can use my EF lenses with it. But the main purpsoe of this lens is for travel and snapshots. I need to know the out of camera Jped color and IQ of this little guy beccause I am not palnning to sit down in front of lightroom to to PP all the raw pictures from this camera. I heard and saw a lot of good out of camera jpeg samples from the oly and fuji, hope Cnaon really make it right tho I expect the Jpeg IQ/color is very much the same as theT4i's.

Now I am hoping for Fast and accurate AF + super high out of the camera Jpeg quality including color and super accurate AWB. If those are achieved, I might be in for one ( given if Fujifilm doesn't have any new MLIC body to introduce this year).

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links
gratchie
957 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2012 00:42 as a reply to  @ post 14754750 |  #32

does it have a swivel screen?

GearList || Canon 5D Mark III | 24L II | 135L | 70-300L | 24-105L | 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | RX100M2
Full Gear List and Feedback || growingthompy.tumblr.c​omexternal link

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 23, 2012 00:45 |  #33

nonick wrote in post #14755081 (external link)
This camera, from what I read so far, is lacking some major features comparing to it's competition. I need to know the out of camera Jped color and IQ of this little guy. I expect it is very much same as the new T4i.

But it has the biggest feature - it uses my lenses I already have! (yes I've hear there is an adaptor for nex)

rawshorty
Cream of the Crop
5,563 posts
Gallery: 366 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 23, 2012 00:47 |  #34

andrewopolis wrote in post #14754895 (external link)
Finally..

Canon unveils EOS M mirrorless: 18 MP APS-C, EF compatibility, $800 in October with 22mm lens

http://www.engadget.co​m …-eos-m-mirrorless-camera/ (external link)

That's why I go EF only LOL.. no point in getting that thing though. I need the S100's successor vs a mini DSLR.

The adapter will take ef-s as well;)

I prefer to be in the bush with the animals than a crowded city.
Shorty
Flickr (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 23, 2012 00:51 |  #35

So is this the official EOS M thread? Kinda slow in here, guess there's not much interest :D

cptrios wrote in post #14754988 (external link)
All three of those have huge drawbacks, as does the new Canon. M4/3 has the little sensor, Sony's got terrible lenses, and Fuji has slow operation and an ambitious but funky sensor (not to mention a high price).

Huge? The difference between 1.6x and m4/3's 2x is about 2/3 of a stop in DOF control, and with the E-M5 the dynamic range and noise are no longer worlds different despite the sensor size difference. If you haven't been following along, m4/3 is now very close to the best APS-C in all metrics. In some ways the E-M5's sensor is actually better than Canon's best, particularly malleability of shadow areas. If you wanted to list a real drawback of m4/3 you could have listed continuous AF, which is pretty much a drawback of any mirrorless without on-sensor PDAF.

The Canon's drawbacks are a lack of EVF and manual control

Not a system-wide problem, easily remedied by putting out a higher end body, which had already been rumored even before this official release.

- but the hybrid AF could be fantastic, and if that 22mm lens turns out to be quality, it'll be by far the most appealing pancake on the mirrorless market.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I'm excited about a fast 35mm equivalent, but we're making a lot of assumptions here in terms of image quality and AF speed. Check out this video at about 2:07:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=bPyhM2x9gT8 (external link)

Wow that's slow. Is it using an adapted EF lens? Looks like there's a red dot on the top of the barrel, so I'm thinking it might be an EF lens plus the EF adapter. But isn't there on-sensor PDAF on this thing? I'm totally confused now as to why this was so slow to focus.

Long story short: we now have six companies making mirrorless cameras (I refuse to count the Pentax Q), and while none of them have gotten it completely right yet, there's now enough choice out there that most people should find something that works for them.

Does anybody count the Q? :lol:

Will Canon suffer from the same problem Sony and Samsung have with their APS-C mirrorless systems, i.e. lenses that aren't much smaller than DSLR lenses? To me that's a big question mark. Why bother with mirrorless if you're not looking for a smaller and lighter kit? If the EOS M lenses aren't significantly smaller than DSLR lenses it could still find a niche as a backup system for Canon DSLR shooters, but I can't see it finding wide adoption for people looking for a single/primary system without stellar and compact lenses.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2012 00:59 |  #36

^^ Go to the forum in my link. There are threads that have this beat by 2 days. One of them has 4 pages right now, so it's not slow over there.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 23, 2012 01:07 as a reply to  @ post 14754750 |  #37

Hands on video from DigitalCameraWorld on youtube: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Sa_9kNAMcIw (external link)

canon europe's promo vid for the EOS M: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=vneVnFv3pz0 (external link)

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2012 01:10 as a reply to  @ post 14754750 |  #38

APS-C - not particularly interesting.

Wake me when someone other than Leica release a full-frame version.

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 23, 2012 01:12 as a reply to  @ post 14754750 |  #39

Very similar to Sony nex system. That means slow af and large lens than any dslr.

Ef-s and Ef lens will both require the $200 Ef-m adaptor. And this camera will slow down af include usm lenses. Adaptor + Ef lens will make this camera look like a lens cap and quite unbalanced.

If you want to feel the balance now, go to your local best buy and check out Sony nex and you will know the feel.

Based on the packaging of lens/camera/price/touc​h screen, eos m will compete w sony nex-5n instead of Nikon 1 or m4/3. Sony nex5n will have a new version by nov 2012. So it will have better sensor, more native nex mount lens and faster af. Canon will have a cheaper Ef adaptor and a nicer pancake lens. Very tough competition.

IMHO this is a decent first canon effort, I would skip the first gen until canon works out the issues.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 23, 2012 01:16 as a reply to  @ post 14754750 |  #40

One interesting comment on dpreview. This eos-m mount is limited to APS-c size. No ff mirror less is possible. Will need a larger opening if canon wants ff mirror less later and that means a different mount. That pretty much tells you the direction of this product for the foreseeable future.

Still learning

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2012 01:21 as a reply to  @ post 14754750 |  #41

Sold. Will pre-order in the morning. I bet there are some Nikon guys looking at their One's in disgust right about now.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 23, 2012 01:29 as a reply to  @ post 14754750 |  #42

My wife has the Sony nex3 for about 7 months now. I can safety say that I have zero desire to put a large lens on it. There is no easy way to shoot this style of camera w large lens since there is no evf. We just use it as a glorified p&s w better IQ and low light capability. We would take it to kids badly party and etc. if I have to choose again, I will take the new Sony rx100 instead for the smaller size camera, better sensor and better lens.

Still learning

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,088 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2012 01:34 |  #43

Shadowblade wrote in post #14755178 (external link)
APS-C - not particularly interesting.

Wake me when someone other than Leica release a full-frame version.

kinda agree. What really irks me is that pancake lens with the EF-M is an F2 lens, but for FF, they only release an F2.8 lens....... add to boot no 22mm EF-s lens.... way to ignore the croppers :P

I dont get why they would go to a new mount system as well.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 23, 2012 01:35 |  #44

Bigger sensor = bigger lens. No easy way to get around optical design requirement.

All these mirrorless cameras will all have same size lenses if they have same size sensor.

There are ways to cheat using build in lens sw correction like Samsung's nx series, but that will result in crappy corner iq.

Still learning

XBGM3R
196 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 23, 2012 01:36 |  #45

EOS-M + Mount Adapter + EF/ efs lenses =

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

| P&S: A610 & G12 (external link)| EOS Body: 7NE, 30D & M (external link), SL1 | EF 75-300 III USM| TAMRON [177DE] AF 28-80 ASPH | EF-S 18-55 USM | EF 40 STM | EFM 22 STM |

sponsored links

109,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M officially announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.