Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 01:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Outdoor wedding, should I be worried?!

EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 19, 2012 22:23 |  #76
bannedPermanent ban

having issues fitting all my gear into my backpack, i wanted to use my gary fong light softener, but idk if its going to fit :/ and thanks the ferry lands at 9 so i have ample time to eat breakfast on the island :)

sponsored links
EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 19, 2012 22:26 |  #77
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan your flickr photos are amazing

shutterbug ­ guy
205 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 20, 2012 00:59 |  #78

EricaBreetoe wrote in post #14742574 (external link)
having issues fitting all my gear into my backpack, i wanted to use my gary fong light softener, but idk if its going to fit :/ and thanks the ferry lands at 9 so i have ample time to eat breakfast on the island :)

You'll find the fong dong is a great light waster except in close quarters with light walls. I'd recommend using a bounce card, one taped to the back of the flash head or something like the one built into the the Canon 550/580 series flashes or something like a Joe Demb flash deflector.

Roger

dannybres
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 20, 2012 04:29 |  #79

Just read all 6 pages on this! Good Luck! I would love the oppurtuniyt to do something like this! Can't wait to see your shots!

Think I'd rather just turn up at a weddimg im invited to with my gear and take soem shots! :)

Do wedding photogs get angry with guests taking photos too, I will follow orders when i am required to for the group shots!

EOS 7D, EOS M, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 430EX II.

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 20, 2012 06:52 |  #80

I am not normally shooting weddings. Some friends recently asked to shoot their weddings but I turned them down because I read too many times that you really need to know what you are doing not to mess up such an important task. I told them to hire a pro, which they did for the church only. They asked me to shoot at the church anyway and I also covered the party as I was a guest anyway.
They told me after seeing the photos from the pro that they were disappointed but they were glad that I save the day.
As I said I am not usually shooting weddings, so I did a bit of thinking and reading before, mostly checked photos on the wedding forum here.
I decided on the following, using mostly relatively long lenses not to interfere with the pro and the ceremony. For the ceremony, I would recommend thinking of what you want to get for each moment.
1. Tight shots during arrival of bride and groom in the church (135mm)
2. Full body shots and tight shots during ceremony (135mm)
3. Wider shots (35mm) with background of bride and groom on their way out in the church
4. Exit and family shots.
5. Shots of the party, trying to show the moment (wide) or shooting people (tight) (35, 85, 135)

The focal length choice is partly due to the lenses I had then, as well as low light at the party.

Good luck! I am sure you will do fine, just try to figure out what you want to shoot for each moment and you will be ready.

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

Scooby888
264 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 20, 2012 07:53 |  #81

EricaBreetoe wrote in post #14732733 (external link)
I will get another card to be on the safe side. If you have read my posts you would know i am using a 7D and rebel ti1. i am also bringing three lenses, which i have mentioned. i only have one speedlight, which i stuggle with using. i have two batteries as well as AA backups. Thank you for your concern, really, but if they were that concerned about the documentation of their wedding they wouldnt have hired someone who has never done a wedding before. am i right? If the brides friends photos come out better that is probably because her friend went to a professional, not an amature. The brides main concern was getting a photographer for the cheapest price, not getting a reputable photogrpaher with all the knowledge and eqiupment needed. i am sorry if you were offended by anything i had said in my first post. i know wedding photography isnt easy and its not something everyone can do. in my eyes i cannot fail though because my ultimate goal is to learn and this will all be a really great learning experience for me..

I totally agree with 'dmward'. The best advise you can take is to refuse to be the main shooter, and go as a second on a gratis basis.

With the questions you've asked you haven't got the experience or the skill for this, and I really wouldn't want the bride to end up hating you or your boyf because of you 'trying' to do you best?

I could give you a list of the kit, spare kit, and extra's that you'll need, but honestly no one can give you the experience and skill you need to put it all together in such a short period of time.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I just don't want to see either of you upset or disappointed.

5DII Gripped, 7D Gripped, Canon 60D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 17-55 f2.8, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 L, Canon 24-105 L f4, Canon 70-200 f4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, Canon EF 100 L Macro f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 1.4tc mkii, Speedlite 580ii, 2x Speedlite 430ii, Monfrotto tripods

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 20, 2012 08:58 |  #82

Scooby888 wrote in post #14743876 (external link)
I totally agree with 'dmward'. The best advise you can take is to refuse to be the main shooter, and go as a second on a gratis basis.

With the questions you've asked you haven't got the experience or the skill for this, and I really wouldn't want the bride to end up hating you or your boyf because of you 'trying' to do you best?

I could give you a list of the kit, spare kit, and extra's that you'll need, but honestly no one can give you the experience and skill you need to put it all together in such a short period of time.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I just don't want to see either of you upset or disappointed.

your advice may be too late, sounds like the wedding is this weekend
But if the OP has been shooting for a couple of years and has two cameras and some equipment then they are bound to get some good shots

Scooby888
264 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 20, 2012 09:25 |  #83

I will get another card to be on the safe side. If you have read my posts you would know i am using a 7D and rebel ti1. i am also bringing three lenses, which i have mentioned. i only have one speedlight, which i stuggle with using. i have two batteries as well as AA backups. Thank you for your concern, really, but if they were that concerned about the documentation of their wedding they wouldnt have hired someone who has never done a wedding before. am i right? If the brides friends photos come out better that is probably because her friend went to a professional, not an amature. The brides main concern was getting a photographer for the cheapest price, not getting a reputable photogrpaher with all the knowledge and eqiupment needed. i am sorry if you were offended by anything i had said in my first post. i know wedding photography isnt easy and its not something everyone can do. in my eyes i cannot fail though because my ultimate goal is to learn and this will all be a really great learning experience for me..

OMG, fingers crossed she does ok. And I think I'm under prepared with my kit. Maybe i'm just a worrier. People just seem to pick up a kit camera these days and instantly become wedding photographers lol!

watt100 wrote in post #14744123 (external link)
your advice may be too late, sounds like the wedding is this weekend
But if the OP has been shooting for a couple of years and has two cameras and some equipment then they are bound to get some good shots

5DII Gripped, 7D Gripped, Canon 60D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 17-55 f2.8, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 L, Canon 24-105 L f4, Canon 70-200 f4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, Canon EF 100 L Macro f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 1.4tc mkii, Speedlite 580ii, 2x Speedlite 430ii, Monfrotto tripods

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 20, 2012 13:06 |  #84

dannybres wrote in post #14743504 (external link)
Just read all 6 pages on this! Good Luck! I would love the oppurtuniyt to do something like this! Can't wait to see your shots!

Think I'd rather just turn up at a weddimg im invited to with my gear and take soem shots! :)

Do wedding photogs get angry with guests taking photos too, I will follow orders when i am required to for the group shots!

As a guest, I take photos at my friends weddings all the time. I've never had a pro wedding photog get mad at me for doing so. Usually, they are pretty friendly and I often times get into conversations with them about photography. They know they are going to be getting shots and angles guests with cameras can't. There is no reason for them to feel threatened.

For me though, I never bother with trying to take those big group shots the wedding photog is taking. Why duplicate shots the wedding photog is doing. One of the things my wife and I wish we had more of were shots of the audience during our ceremony. Shots of our friends setting up, our guests interactions with one another, etc. All the stuff we couldn't see because we were so busy with other things that day. So, when I go to my friends weddings, I try to capture those moments for them while the wedding photogs are usually just focused on the couple.

The last wedding I attended last weekend, I was assigned to the same table as the wedding photogs. They were both really cool. They even offered to let me try out some of their lenses if I wished.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

luvsadog2
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 20, 2012 13:46 as a reply to  @ post 14714614 |  #85

My girlfriend was in the very same situation two weeks ago, asked to shoot a wedding for some friends --it was her first wedding shot outdoors on a boat in Marina del Rey in very late afternoon/early evening. She took me and another photog as backup photographers, but I also had no experience shooting weddings so I just did my best to take candids. She rented the 70-200L for the day and ended up not using it -- she was shooting with a 50D and has a good quality tripod, but she said it was just too heavy. The other photog was shooting with his 24-105. Even with the lateness of the day, shadows were a big problem because the boat kept turning direction. Anyway, it was a fun experience, but stressful -- good luck!

Luvsadog2
5DMiii|7D gripped| G11|Canon 17-55|28-135|100 f/2.8|17-85|50 1.8| Sigma 120-400|Tamron 24-70|18-270|10-24| 430EX
There is beauty to be found - my goal is to capture it.. and share it with you.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/luvsadog2/ (external link)

Ephur
618 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 20, 2012 14:17 |  #86

This:

EricaBreetoe wrote in post #14732604 (external link)
i know i shouldnt be going above and beyond for an acquaintance but i am also doing this for myself, i have so much learning to do, and it will expand my portfoilio to somewhere it hasnt been yet. this will be my only wedding this summer and if i feel confident in myself after maybe i will continue to do them on an understanding that i am still learning. i hope it goes well :D

And This:

in my eyes i cannot fail though because my ultimate goal is to learn and this will all be a really great learning experience for me..

I just saw this thread for the first time today, as I read from the start and saw some of the feedback, I just kept thinking those two things you stated later in the thread. I see other threads where people talk about how hard it is to get opportunities to learn, develop, and improve their own skills. If you break even financially but come out ahead with knowledge, then you've done yourself a great service. Good luck, can't wait to see the pictures.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 23, 2012 04:44 |  #87

Curious to know how it all went down. Hopefully you did great and got some great shots!

dannybres
263 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 23, 2012 11:35 |  #88

Yes, how did it go! Tell us!! :P

EOS 7D, EOS M, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 430EX II.

Scooby888
264 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 23, 2012 13:42 |  #89

dannybres wrote in post #14757026 (external link)
Yes, how did it go! Tell us!! :P

Me too, hope all went well :o)

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 23, 2012 18:40 |  #90

want to see pictures! ;)

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

sponsored links

23,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
Outdoor wedding, should I be worried?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.