Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M officially announced

XBGM3R
196 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 23, 2012 09:38 |  #121

Neilyb wrote in post #14756274 (external link)
According to imaging resource it only works upto 600mm ( confused me too) , so no TCs on that puppy ;)

According to IR the kit is the cam and the 22mm lens, no flash. Will have a quite a bill for a little compact that take EF lenses...

The IR preview did say focus took upto 1.7secs....SECONDS?

IMAGE: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6971/canoneosmwith70200mm2ve.jpg

| P&S: A610 & G12 (external link)| EOS Body: 7NE, 30D & M (external link), SL1 | EF 75-300 III USM| TAMRON [177DE] AF 28-80 ASPH | EF-S 18-55 USM | EF 40 STM | EFM 22 STM |

sponsored links
andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 23, 2012 09:39 |  #122

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14756442 (external link)
It's not that insane, my walkaround lens was a 10-20 then an 11-16 on my APS-C bodies for years and years...now my walkaround lens is a 16-35L II on a FF.

Anyways...sure, it would be the smallest UWA setup, but so what? The OVERALL package (body/adapter/lens/ext​ra batteries - trust me, being rated for 230 pics sucks bigtime) will not be significantly smaller or lighter than a Rebel/lens...certainly not smaller/lighter enough to justify the $1,000 investment, or giving up the intuitive controls, the viewfinder, etc, etc

So I take it you don't want a complementing compact camera that you can use your existing lenses on?
Because I do and this seems perfect to me (assuming AF performance is similar to Rebelish dSLR).

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 23, 2012 09:40 |  #123

I think it's a shame they didn't include an in body IS.

While I understand they need to protect their business, it's still a shame.

Oh, and the lack of a flash is stupid too.

Gear List

watson76
106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 23, 2012 09:42 as a reply to  @ post 14754930 |  #124

I dunno, I am pretty disappointed. I used to use Olympus m4/3rd cameras and loved them, but decided to wait for a Canon offering before taking a hard look at the OMD. The lack of an EVF is a deal breaker, and honestly the camera is pretty boring in looks - why couldn't Canon redesign one of their classics instead ? I really love Canon, so this is tough for me. Olympus is so tempting, their primes are some of the best (if not the best IMHO on the market) - to me Olympus is all about the photographer and the artist, Canon and Nikon are trying to appeal more to the soccer mom market. Oh well, I guess i'll try the OMD, but I am definitely keeping my Rebel.

Is it just me or is Canon simply recycling lately ? I mean they still have not updated their lenses like Nikon (where is the new 50 1.8, 50 1.4, and 85 1.8 ?) and they keep using the same 18 mp sensor. I am getting quite bored of the brand, though to be honest they still make great bodies that produce and I guess that's all that counts...

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 23, 2012 09:45 |  #125

Nismode wrote in post #14754900 (external link)
Would it be a good idea to get rid of my T2i for this you think? I mean, with the sensor size and the EF adapter, one can get the same, if not better images/video from the EOS M than with the T2i. Besides trying to fit a 70-200 onto it and having barely anything to balance the weight with.

I wouldn't.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2012 09:46 |  #126

To be honest, I am unsure whether I like this camera or not..

1. I like that it uses an APS-C sensor, but if it uses the same one that is in the current rebels, it is old. Indeed, the most recent sensor in the em-5 is better than the ones in the rebels/7d/60d.
2. I like how useful the touchscreen is (and frankly its lack of physical controls don't bother me at all, coming from an a-pm1 user here), but I'd give that up for an articulating amoled screen.
3. I like that it has a hybrid focusing system ala 650D, but if reviews are to be believed, it's not really something to write home about.
4. I looooove that 22mm f2.0, but at $799 bundled with the camera, it has nothing on, say, an olympus e-pm1 + panasonic 20mm f1.7.
5. I understand that the "magnesium body construction" is all the jazz right now, but I'd take it in "all plastic construction" for a $200 price reduction.

Overall, if I was still a canon user (recent m43 convert), I'd probably buy one. I just wish it was cheaper, has a newer sensor and a more reliable hybrid focusing.

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,611 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 23, 2012 09:54 |  #127

If the body was plastic people would be ripping this to death on the web but I too wish it was a bit cheaper since its more like a good point and shoot and not a DSLR replacement.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 23, 2012 10:04 |  #128

bongEstrella wrote in post #14756507 (external link)
4. I looooove that 22mm f2.0, but at $799 bundled with the camera

Tommydigi wrote in post #14756552 (external link)
I too wish it was a bit cheaper

MSRP MSRP MSRP MSRP MSRP MSRP MSRP MSRP MSRP

5D3 and a few lens
es.

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 23, 2012 10:10 as a reply to  @ Tommydigi's post |  #129

Well, the thread started out so promising, but of course the cynics are out to play today. ;)

From what I picked up skimming the dpreview preview, some plus/minuses of the camera:
+ The add-on flash has wireless command capability!
+ Canon knew there would be enthusiast early adapters, and haven't made it impossible to use 3rd-party lens adapters (the menu option of "Shoot without lens"). Bravo!

- 4.5/3 fps? They need more here.
- 230 shots/charge? Here's to hoping that, with my shooting and my experiences, the ratings are (very) conservative...

liupublic wrote in post #14755205 (external link)
One interesting comment on dpreview. This eos-m mount is limited to APS-c size. No ff mirror less is possible. Will need a larger opening if canon wants ff mirror less later and that means a different mount. That pretty much tells you the direction of this product for the foreseeable future.

The rumors have always been that a "consumer" level camera is first, and an "enthusiast" camera is next. This is a good start, and a good look at what might be possible in the future.

FWIW, I don't think it's impossible to squeeze a FF sensor in there, just highly unlikely. Maybe, just maybe, if Canon hears it enough from the enthusiasts, return of APS-H? (That's right folks, you heard it here first! :lol:)

andrikos wrote in post #14755698 (external link)
The more I read about this little guy, the more I like it!

I see it more of a complement to a dSLR Canon owner with a bevy of lenses who wants a more compact/portable solution without buying a new system and still benefiting from all the pluses of a big sensor.
See it as buying a shrunken T4i for those "on the go" moments.
I'm sold. Do they make them in orange? :D

andrikos wrote in post #14756079 (external link)
I already am, and the 10-22 is my walkaround lens (yes, I'm insane). So, the EF-M would be my compact setup that fits in a little case (or purse) so I have a travel set. Could you suggest a more compact and convenient UWA setup?

Someone after my own heart! :D This pretty much sums it up for me. I can get this and a small bag (compared to what I have now), and throw in the M, the 22 f/2, 10-22, 17-55, and 85 f/1.8 and be set for vacation!

This is exactly what I wanted in a mirrorless: easy to use for times I need to point and shoot, but capable enough to not leave me wanting when I need to take that once-in-a-lifetime shot of the place I'm travelling to! And, I don't have to buy into a whole new system.

Now to come up with a business case for The Wife...

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 23, 2012 10:11 |  #130

HyperYagami wrote in post #14756607 (external link)

If it pre-sells well, it will sell at that MSRP for a while. Definitely reason not to be an early-adopter.

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,611 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 23, 2012 10:13 |  #131

I think $799 is the actual price, its already on B&H

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …92033126/Ns/p_P​RICE_2%7C1 (external link)

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2012 10:14 |  #132

HyperYagami wrote in post #14756607 (external link)

The t4i is selling exactly on its MSRP. Same goes with recent cameras from Sony, Olympus, Nikon, and Panasonic.

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 23, 2012 10:21 |  #133

andrikos wrote in post #14756079 (external link)
I already am, and the 10-22 is my walkaround lens (yes, I'm insane). So, the EF-M would be my compact setup that fits in a little case (or purse) so I have a travel set. Could you suggest a more compact and convenient UWA setup?

Olympus m-zuiko 9-18mm on a compact 4/3 body. But you'd have to replace a lens you already own:

(adapted 10-22 is going to be about like the adapted 11-22 here, both about 3.5" long)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2012 10:31 |  #134

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14756442 (external link)
It's not that insane, my walkaround lens was a 10-20 then an 11-16 on my APS-C bodies for years and years...now my walkaround lens is a 16-35L II on a FF.

Anyways...sure, it would be the smallest UWA setup, but so what? The OVERALL package (body/adapter/lens/ext​ra batteries - trust me, being rated for 230 pics sucks bigtime) will not be significantly smaller or lighter than a Rebel/lens...certainly not smaller/lighter enough to justify the $1,000 investment, or giving up the intuitive controls, the viewfinder, etc, etc

I think you may not appreciate the larger marketing picture here.

For many people here (e.g., serious enthusiasts looking for a small highly capable camera), this is probably not the camera for them. As you point out, it doesn't have some features that would be beneficial to the way you shoot.

On the other hand, if you are a P&S user or a novice looking to upgrade to something with SLR quality in a compact and easy-to-use package, this may be your ticket. After all, the EOS-M is essentially a mirrorless 650D in a compact package with a simple interface. I believe this has a lot of appeal, and can see that type of buyer easily purchasing this new camera over the more complicated competitors.

I hope they sell the White model in the US!!

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 23, 2012 10:44 |  #135

Canon needs to make a mirrorless much more like the om-d for me to start saving up for one.

VF is essential, not going to stop shooting in the sun.
Weather sealing would be nice too, also not going to stop shooting when it rains.
Fast AF is going to be the deal maker or breaker. If this one AF likes the t4i in liveview it's DOA for the majority of us exiting Canon users. It's likely DOA for the majority of users period.

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

sponsored links

118,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M officially announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.