Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 04:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NEW CF Cards for my 7D & 5D Mk III

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 21, 2012 04:39 |  #1

When my 5D Mk III committed suicide last week by throwing itself off a 30m cliff into 10 or more of water, I lost my camera, lens and Sandisk Extreme III 32gig card.

I'm looking at replacing that now with perhaps two cards, one for each camera. Maybe a 16 and 32 this time and since I have had Sandisk all along am thinking about them again.

The Sandisk website recommends the Etreme Pro option for the 5D MkIII which is quite expensive at about $AU240 for 32Gig.

Any suggestions on why I ought to consider another brand or to stick to Sandisk?

Locations for best prices for genuine cards online would be great too.

Thanks.

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

sponsored links
aegid
506 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 21, 2012 05:04 |  #2

Only get the Extreme Pro if you need that particular write speed for bursts (sports, dance, concerts, etc). If you are just going to be taking a few shots at a time you can go with a much lesser speed card like an Extreme or even an Ultra. People have had success with Transcend cards (although with a few bad ones). Lexar also makes some good ones. Personally I'm using a Duracell (rebanded Dane Elec) 300x card and have had no problems with it.

5d3,17-40,24-105,24 1.4,85 1.4,70-200 2.8 is ii

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Gallery: 247 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 21, 2012 05:26 |  #3

I would certainly look at other brand such as Transcend, Lexar Delkin and so on, as you do pay extra for the Sandisk name.

I use all of the ones I mentioned without any issues on my 1D IV

Something to think about is that the 5D III and 1D X are UDMA 7 enabled and so will be able to utilises the newer x100 cards enabling data transfer rates up to 167 MB/s , but like Wayne says only if your really going to need that extra speed.

As for buying online NEVER buy memory cards from ebay, make sure you go to a reputable dealer, or better still buy direct from the manufacture (Delkin and Duracell do this)

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 21, 2012 06:40 |  #4

When I worked as a photographer for Kodak in the UK, they supplied us all with several Sandisk Ultra II - which I am still using 8 years later for little jobs. Reliable then, reliable now (although they are now rather small capacity). Not the latest speeds, no 'glory' in using the biggest and best - just completely trustworthy. Who needs 'street cred' anyway?

However, one point which they absolutely ENFORCED was that we never ever did a whole job on just one card. This on the basis that if one card went bad, if it was lost/stolen (oh, yes, it happens) or some other misfortune like dropping it off a cliff (!) then we hadn't lost the whole job. This was really only an extension of the ancient practice of not processing a whole batch of films in one go. Belt and braces approach. Yes, it's a bit frustrating having to remember to change cards but it may just save the day. From that day on, I've always tended to use smaller cards but several of them (in fact nearly all my cards are only 8Gb). Personally, I would always advocate having several cards and using them in rotation rather than just one, all-encompassing big one. Even for holiday 'snaps' which are of little real consequence, this is the approach I adopt.

I've always found KINGSTON to be a thoroughly reliable make, along with Sandisk of course. There were, years ago, issues with Lexar specifically in Canon cameras but these seem to have been resolved a while back. Much depends on what is readily available in Australia - different markets have different levels of availability and what I can easily get in the UK may be like rocking horse effluent where you are. :o What is easily obtained in USA (population 314 million) may be no more than a rumour in Australia (23 million) and scarce in UK (56 million). Market size has a very strong effect on availability.

A lot of the slightly less well-known brands (relative to Sandisk and Lexar, no denigration implied) are made by Samsung. I used to know how to determine the make, but old age fades the memory just a tad. Transcend, Dane-Elec et al do have their following, quite probably with some justification, but I've always taken the view that with the investment we all have in primary equipment, why cut corners on something which may work perfectly but may also always leave you with a feeling of disquiet.

Remember too that card makers are in business to make money and it is in their interest to persuade you that you absolutely must have the biggest/fastest/most prestigious. But do you actually need that? I certainly don't these days - and actually never have needed it.

eBay? Not unless there is absolutely no alternative. If it is worth people's while to make fake rechargeable cells retailing at $2 each, it's certainly a good bet that there are (literally) boatloads of fake Sandisk selling for considerably more. An alternative perspective on this: quality control throws out a proportion of anything we make. What do you think happens to these 'seconds'? Landfill? Recycle? Sold on under other brands - that is definitely what happened with film?? Spend your money locally - at least then you have some comeback if there's a problem.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 21, 2012 06:58 |  #5

so how did "it" commit suicide?

ps I use Lexar extreme....just feels cool

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 21, 2012 10:24 |  #6

I say stick with Sandisk. Most of the time theres no need to buy their highest end currently on the market, so save your money and buy one of their "lesser" models.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 21, 2012 11:27 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

What's the full story behind your camera's death?

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,849 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 21, 2012 22:36 as a reply to  @ Eight_Blade's post |  #8

Get the fastest cards you can find. That way you are prepared for shooting wildlife or sports.

For my 5DIII I use Lexar 32GB 1000x cards.
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …i_page.asp?cid=​6007-12452 (external link)

For my 7D I use Lexar 32GB 600x cards.
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …i_page.asp?cid=​6007-10294 (external link)

My card reader is a Lexar dual slot USB 3 unit that does UDMA 7 for max speeds with the 1000x (UDMA 7) cards.

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 24, 2012 08:07 |  #9

I bought a Sandisk extreme 32gb card from eBay with no problem at all. Just look for sellers that have a good rating.

I also have good experience with transcend cards. Much cheaper and sometimes better then the Sandisks.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 24, 2012 12:53 |  #10

JelleVerherstraeten wrote in post #14761484 (external link)
I bought a Sandisk extreme 32gb card from eBay with no problem at all. Just look for sellers that have a good rating.

Have you ever done a speed test (with a computer program) comparing that ebay CF card to the same card bought from a big box place like Amazon or B&H?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

2,532 views & 0 likes for this thread
NEW CF Cards for my 7D & 5D Mk III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.