Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 02 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 01:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone in Yuba City CA, Sacramento, Roseville?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2012 12:23 |  #31

Huh, but where to have it? And what would everyone like to shoot? Indoor studio stuff? Outdoor nature, urban or scenic? An event of some kind? Or just sit around at a coffee shop and talk about general photography geekerey.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
LemonScent
343 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 27, 2012 19:13 |  #32

ben_r_ wrote in post #14479015 (external link)
Huh, but where to have it? And what would everyone like to shoot? Indoor studio stuff? Outdoor nature, urban or scenic? An event of some kind? Or just sit around at a coffee shop and talk about general photography geekerey.

Do you have a studio? I'm up for any sort of nerding out about photography. :)

Lisa
A full frame thingy, some lens thingys and a flashy thingy

I'm ­ Sasquatch
429 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 27, 2012 19:37 as a reply to  @ LemonScent's post |  #33

I must have forgotten to subscribe to this thread. I'm in Sacramento and have a forgiving schedule. Any photo geekery or nerding is good as far as I'm concerned.

Have a wheelie nice day!

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 27, 2012 20:22 |  #34

LemonScent wrote in post #14492870 (external link)
Do you have a studio? I'm up for any sort of nerding out about photography. :)

Not yet unfortunately. I was just throwing that out there in case someone else already did. All my shoots have been outdoors when I have been lucky enough to find a good location. Do you have any ideas for an outdoor location? Otherwise Im totally down for just meeting up somewhere to toss around ideas and geek out! lol

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

I'm ­ Sasquatch
429 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 27, 2012 20:45 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #35

There is a wildlife/nature preserve kind of place off of 80 in the Yolo causeway. It's free to get in and you can drive all over the place staying on established gravel roads. I went quite a few times over the winter trying to get a good shot of a hawk.

Effie Yeaw is always a pleasant place to take a short walk.

Dare I suggest the zoo? I haven't been in a long time. I'm not sure what it's like.

Folsom has an animal sanctuary with great creatures. Unfortunately, the fences are really thick. I've had a hard time getting a decent shot out there. It's very inexpensive and they have mountain lions, bears, an eagle or two and all sorts of other things. It is a rather small place but always enjoyable.

I don't have a studio but would love to have an opportunity to shadow someone in a studio to learn a few things.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 28, 2012 02:34 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

Im in the Merced area, but I make it up to Sacramento once in a while on Amtrak.

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 28, 2012 10:48 |  #37

Im Sasquatch wrote in post #14493182 (external link)
=I'm Sasquatch;14493182]The​re is a wildlife/nature preserve kind of place off of 80 in the Yolo causeway. It's free to get in and you can drive all over the place staying on established gravel roads. I went quite a few times over the winter trying to get a good shot of a hawk.

Effie Yeaw is always a pleasant place to take a short walk.

Dare I suggest the zoo? I haven't been in a long time. I'm not sure what it's like.

Folsom has an animal sanctuary with great creatures. Unfortunately, the fences are really thick. I've had a hard time getting a decent shot out there. It's very inexpensive and they have mountain lions, bears, an eagle or two and all sorts of other things. It is a rather small place but always enjoyable.

I don't have a studio but would love to have an opportunity to shadow someone in a studio to learn a few things.

There was a meetup at Effie Yeaw a few years ago. Many photo ops there. (external link)

I drive by the Sutter National Wildlife Refuge (external link) located here off of 99 just south of Yuba City (external link) that I have been curious about. If there is another on further south on 80 maybe we could check them both out.

My time in Yuba City is usually spent with family there (Granddaughter born in Roseville on 5/26.)

I would be OK with meeting someplace in the morning and then getting back with family in the afternoon.

Anyone interested in a studio should really try to get down to Dwight McCann's for the meetup there. I have been twice and it is an experience to be remembered. Dwight has at least one of every Canon high end toy and is VERY generous about letting folks hold and try cameras and lenses as well as a small photo studio. There was a lighting demo in the studio one of the years I was there that was very good. Always LOTS of folks with a big mix of gear all willing to talk and share about photography. Photo excursions in the area are also planned before of after the day of the event. A very full photo weekend.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 28, 2012 15:02 |  #38

Tom_D wrote in post #14495468 (external link)
There was a meetup at Effie Yeaw a few years ago. Many photo ops there. (external link)

I drive by the Sutter National Wildlife Refuge (external link) located here off of 99 just south of Yuba City (external link) that I have been curious about. If there is another on further south on 80 maybe we could check them both out.

My time in Yuba City is usually spent with family there (Granddaughter born in Roseville on 5/26.)

I would be OK with meeting someplace in the morning and then getting back with family in the afternoon.

Anyone interested in a studio should really try to get down to Dwight McCann's for the meetup there. I have been twice and it is an experience to be remembered. Dwight has at least one of every Canon high end toy and is VERY generous about letting folks hold and try cameras and lenses as well as a small photo studio. There was a lighting demo in the studio one of the years I was there that was very good. Always LOTS of folks with a big mix of gear all willing to talk and share about photography. Photo excursions in the area are also planned before of after the day of the event. A very full photo weekend.

Man Id love to, but thats about 400 miles away from me!

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 28, 2012 15:13 |  #39

ben_r_ wrote in post #14496423 (external link)
Man Id love to, but thats about 400 miles away from me!

Many from Northern California make the trip. Well worth it. I have been twice and my wife and I have made long weekends out of it. Last year we stayed in Pismo Beach for a few days on the way back; a close to home vacation.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

Rawrbinson
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 01, 2012 21:25 |  #40

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14494352 (external link)
Im in the Merced area, but I make it up to Sacramento once in a while on Amtrak.

WOAH! I'm from Sacramento/Elk Grove but I goto school in Merced! This is a small world.:D

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 01, 2012 22:29 |  #41

I say we should plan a meetup sometime! There are some great places to go, even in just downtown...Like a street photowalk maybe a few hours before sunset and end up at a nice spot somewhere around the river to capture the sunset. Besides around my neighborhood and once during a free museum day, I never really went out to shoot in Sacramento...

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

jamstar35
419 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 23, 2012 23:59 as a reply to  @ boingy's post |  #42

I'm here in Sacramento as well and would be down for a meetup also!!

Sony A7iii, Sony FE 85mm f/1.8, Canon 6D, Canon T3i/600D....Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS, Canon EF 24-105 F/4L IS, Canon EF 35mm f/2, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC USD
http://www.flickr.com/​jamstar/ (external link)

Michael60d
39 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 24, 2012 02:27 as a reply to  @ jamstar35's post |  #43

Wonder why I'm not getting notifications when people respond to these threads... Meanwhile, I'm fairly busy, day job etc, but evenings and weekends, I'd love to take pics, compare notes, pics, share training vids, take more pics, just have people to discuss/compare/learn etc...

Sacramento Fair is going on now... The Sac zoo kind of sucks except for the bird area. Most of the animal's enclosures block any straight on shots. So, unless you like cage in the foreground... I'd vote for "something/anything" else

- Photographer newbie who loves his 60D and learning more about photography

RogerAylstock
797 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 24, 2012 09:30 as a reply to  @ Michael60d's post |  #44

Go checkout meetup.com and put photography as your interest and you will find several very active meetup groups. One of the best and most popular is the Northern California Portrait Photographers Meetup Group sponsored by lookpw.com. They have a Trash the Dress session in Redding scheduled for this Saturday 7/28. There are several other meetup groups that are pretty active with interests from fashion to landscapes.

Roger
Canon 7D, Canon 24-105 F4L, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ISL, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon 50mm 1.4,
Sigma 105mm DG Macro, Canon 1.4x Teleextender, Canon 580EX II Flash.
VintageCreekPhotograph​y (external link) Facebook (external link)

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 24, 2012 11:07 |  #45

RogerAylstock wrote in post #14761871 (external link)
Go checkout meetup.com and put photography as your interest and you will find several very active meetup groups. One of the best and most popular is the Northern California Portrait Photographers Meetup Group sponsored by lookpw.com. They have a Trash the Dress session in Redding scheduled for this Saturday 7/28. There are several other meetup groups that are pretty active with interests from fashion to landscapes.

Dont they charge for membership or their meetups though?

sponsored links

10,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone in Yuba City CA, Sacramento, Roseville?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.