Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M officially announced

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 24, 2012 16:32 |  #346

dinanm3atl wrote in post #14763910 (external link)
Maybe... but let's say it is a glorified P&S camera. If it has awesome IQ with the 22mm pancake lens... and I can use any of my lenses for 200 bucks. I'd be pretty happy with that.

A P&S with an APS-C sensor? Sounds good to me!

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 24, 2012 16:47 |  #347
bannedPermanent ban

gregnash wrote in post #14763852 (external link)
Wow, these discussions have just gotten infinitely better than I could imagine! (Where's my popcorn!) I equate this to being something like a stuck-up 16yr old girl not getting the EXACT car she wanted from her parents on her 16th birthday (OMFG my parents bought me the 2012 Red Lexus IS 350 with the normal leather package!! WTF were they thinking, I SPECIFICALLY ASKED for the 2013 Red Lexus IS 350 with the Extended Leather Package, Moon Roof, 20" rims, and BOSE sound system. I'm so pissed right now.... FML!!!). So many people **** and moaning about this not being included or why did they do that. Next time you decide to start complaining about a NEW product to a company (especially something like this) take a look in your bag, if you have lots of red rings in there, guess what!! IT AIN'T AIMED AT YOU!

We all knew from the start that Canon was not going to come out with a model with all guns a'blazin' with every feature known to the market (and then some). From a marketing standpoint I think many here (and on different sites) have hit the nail on the head squarely: this is an ENTHUSIAST camera. It is meant to bridge the gap between COMPACT P&S and DSLR. It seems to me that most of the people that are doing the **** are those that consider themselves "elite" photographers and were looking for that "unicorn" of a mirrorless/CSC from Canon. Sorry boys and girls, but Santa just can't pull the rabbit outta his bag, nor his ass.

At this point in time, I am happy that Canon finally made the jump into the CSC market and that I will not have to adapt to a whole new brand or product line in the adaptation. Instead, I can keep my, albeit laughable, collection of lenses and use with with some relative ease with this camera. All the while still receiving just as sharp and pristine of pictures as I have come to expect from my 20D, my dad's T1, and my sister's T3i.

LOL /rant

Well then why don't we put this thread where it belongs...right along those in the P&S forums here on POTN. I thought this forum was made up of photogs that are more advanced with their shooting...I guess I was wrong.

Yes, I am looking for a more advanced mirrorless system that is compact, provides a comfortable shooting style and produces acceptable images. I am not looking for a P&S with a touch interface. I am hoping there are others on this board in the same mindset, thinking about more advanced photography in a small package, not an advanced P&S. Tell me I am wrong with you guys on this board and that there are those that want something more than advanced P&S to capture snapshots with. I have an iPhone that captures snapshots already...don't need another toy.

LOL ///my rant over.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 24, 2012 16:50 |  #348
bannedPermanent ban

arj wrote in post #14763933 (external link)
Sorry, I dont get it. It simply does not make any sense.

So, Canon launched an entry level mirrorless camera. Priced quite higher than the competition, having less native lenses than competition, missing the higher models in the mirrorless camera (so no upgrade path) and having less features than the competition.

I mean... you get an entry level mirrorless for 800 bucks.. it has no built in flash, which someone coming from a P&S shooter will miss, so add 150 bucks for the speedlite. Then the AF seems crap, the user interface is via a touchscreen, no wheels, dials, controls, battery life seems not so good... Then you have no articulating screen, no smart port for an EVF or other accessories. This thing basically is a dead dog.

Who for god sake would do this to himself? I mean, you can get a Sony NEX-5 which has far more features for less than the Canon M. This camera is simply designed and priced in such a way that it will not sell.

Oh, it will sell, not because it is a good camera, but because it has the Canon logo and that is all a lot of fans need to buy one.:)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 24, 2012 16:51 |  #349
bannedPermanent ban

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14763934 (external link)

Sensor is good. Usability sucks. Do you really want a $800 P&S?

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 24, 2012 16:52 |  #350

Hogloff wrote in post #14764008 (external link)
Sensor is good. Usability sucks. Do you really want a $800 P&S?

Didn't say I was willing to pay $800 for it ;)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jul 24, 2012 16:52 |  #351

travinh wrote in post #14763505 (external link)
NEX-7 does have the viewfinder.
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Meant Nex-5. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 500 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jul 24, 2012 16:56 |  #352

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14763934 (external link)

Agreed. Considering i was looking at the Sony RX-100 which is 649 sans interchangeable lens i will wait to see how the EOS M fairs against it.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

kumicho
402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 24, 2012 16:59 |  #353

So, Canon launched an entry level mirrorless camera. Priced quite higher than the competition, having less native lenses than competition, missing the higher models in the mirrorless camera (so no upgrade path) and having less features than the competition.

I mean... you get an entry level mirrorless for 800 bucks.. it has no built in flash, which someone coming from a P&S shooter will miss, so add 150 bucks for the speedlite. Then the AF seems crap, the user interface is via a touchscreen, no wheels, dials, controls, battery life seems not so good... Then you have no articulating screen, no smart port for an EVF or other accessories. This thing basically is a dead dog.

Who for god sake would do this to himself? I mean, you can get a Sony NEX-5 which has far more features for less than the Canon M. This camera is simply designed and priced in such a way that it will not sell.

Uh, have you even bothered to look at any of the pictures of the back of this? Here's DP's review of the "controls":

Again, there's not a huge amount here, but it's sufficient to set all the key exposure parameters while you're shooting. The rear dial behaves much like it does on an EOS SLR - it's used to set exposure parameters and change settings. While small rear dials like this can often be fiddly and unresponsive, the one on the EOS M is actually pretty good; it's relatively resistant to accidental settings changes, with clear click-points providing tactile feedback that you've moved it a notch.

In the P, Av, Tv and M modes the EOS M behaves rather like an entry-level SLR. The rear dial is used to control program shift, aperture or shutter speed by default - pressing the +/- button toggles it to operate exposure compensation, or change the aperture in Manual. The 'Left' key provides autoexposure lock, while the 'Up' key sets the drive mode; single, continuous or self-timer. The 'Down' key can be customized; by default it returns the AF point to the centre of the screen, but can alternatively be set for Depth-of-field preview, ISO, Flash exposure compensation, or to temporarily increase the LCD brightness. So if you set it to control ISO, you have direct access to all the key exposure parameters without having to use the touchscreen.

The 'Q' button activates the onscreen Quick Control menu, and it's entirely possible to navigate around this and change settings using the direction keys and SET button. But this is the point where it just makes more sense to embrace the touchscreen interface, as it'll often be quicker. Indeed the EOS M's touch controls are often quicker and more direct than the button-operated onscreen interfaces found on simple entry-level SLRs such as the Nikon D3200.

Gee, a rear dial and fully-customizeable buttons that you can set up however you need to. :rolleyes:

Maybe a picture might help?

IMAGE: http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/images/rearcontrols.jpg

Canon 400d
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Canon 100mm f/2.0
Canon EOS M
Canon 22mm f/2.0

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jul 24, 2012 16:59 |  #354

vipergts831 wrote in post #14764030 (external link)
Agreed. Considering i was looking at the Sony RX-100 which is 649 sans interchangeable lens i will wait to see how the EOS M fairs against it.

RX-100 FTMFW...Duhhh!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jul 24, 2012 17:00 |  #355

Priced quite higher than the competition,

Which competition are you referring to? It's priced between the Olympus E-Pen and the Panasonic GF5 and is only $50 higher than the NEX-5. The initial MSRP is more than I am willing to pay but I cannot say that it's outrageously high.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 24, 2012 17:00 |  #356

Compared to?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jul 24, 2012 17:05 |  #357

I have a NEX-3. I've taken 5000+ photos with it. It has an articulated screen. I articulated it the day I first got it to try it out. I never did so again. I hear this feature hyped on cameras A LOT, and yet a lot of people don't give two sh*ts about articulated screens.

Just sayin'.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

tware
183 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 24, 2012 17:07 |  #358

AngryCorgi wrote in post #14764062 (external link)
and yet a lot of people don't give two sh*ts about articulated screens.

Just sayin'.

you do if you're shooting angry corgi's and little kids.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 24, 2012 17:09 |  #359

Then you have no articulating screen

[...searching for the sh**storm posts from 60D's flip LCD...]

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 24, 2012 17:11 |  #360

themadman wrote in post #14764050 (external link)
Compared to?

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL3, E-P3, E-M5
Panasonic GH2, G3, GX1

So compared to pretty much everything. I'm withholding final judgment until we see more info, but early videos aren't encouraging in terms of AF speed.

sponsored links

118,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M officially announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.