Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My experience *buying* from LensRentals.com

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 24, 2012 17:44 |  #16

Cesium wrote in post #14764137 (external link)
Or... you know.. they didn't check it before sending it out.

I'm happy for you that this is the only possible conclusion you are willing to consider. Good luck with your vendor(s) of choice.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

sponsored links
Roroco
THREAD ­ STARTER
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 24, 2012 18:02 |  #17

You can't please some people. It is people like you that made me hate working retail as a kid.

LensRentals tests EVERYTHING about the lens. They will document every nick, scratch, scuff, lens blenish, and dust levels. They also test for resolution against charts. In my case, the IS unit must have lost some connectivity in shipping. When I mounted the lens, the IS module vibrated loudly non-stop.

If they tested for sharpness... I am sure they would have noticed this obvious error. I am sure they would have not sent out a device that damaged because it makes no business sense to lose money on shipment, credit card fees, and potential replacement.

Bottom line, stuff happens in selling and shipping products. For me, I am much more concerned with how they handle the issue. In this case, they handled it professionally and to beyond my satisfaction.

Man... I should have just said "Some people..."

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 24, 2012 18:19 |  #18

Roroco wrote in post #14764278 (external link)
You can't please some people. It is people like you that made me hate working retail as a kid.

Definitely couldn't agree more. We're dealing with a real world here and stuff happens. Whether by human error or environment. Some people have no patience and seem to have some sense of self-entitlement. I hated working retail in my first couple of jobs for this very reason.

The company handled it appropriately and I appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely look into them for my next purchase.

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 24, 2012 18:33 as a reply to  @ Kaigler's post |  #19

yeah I can see lensrentals ploy here. They sell a knowingly faulty lens, just so they can pay for it to be returned, then give him a replacement......seems legit........:rolleyes:

Roroco, I'm with you. poo happens, it's how the poo is cleaned that separates the good ones from the not so. I just wish they were over my side of the world!

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

Dmab
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 25, 2012 10:31 |  #20

I rented from them twice and have never had any problems with them. Great service.

Dan
=======
Gear List

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,435 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 25, 2012 12:34 |  #21

pixelbasher wrote in post #14764393 (external link)
poo happens, it's how the poo is cleaned that separates the good ones from the not so.

+1, glad to see I'm not the only one that sees the obvious point to this thread. Glad it all worked out for the OP. I've also rented from Lens Rentals, and have always found them extremely reputable and professional.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 35is | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

super ­ chet
42 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 25, 2012 12:40 |  #22

There was an issue, and the seller made it right. What more can you ask?

5D MIII | 5D MII | 14L | 24-105L | 70-200 MKII | 300 f2.8L IS | 400 f2.8L IS

saranw71
100 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 26, 2012 01:08 |  #23

..and they took full responsibility by PAYING for return shipment then sent him a new one.

Ever heard of customer service?

Some people...

-Saran W. :lol:
My Humble Site (external link)||550D||Σ17-50||10-22||18-55||Nifty fifty♥||CZJ 35 f/2.8||430EX II

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 26, 2012 03:04 |  #24

Cesium wrote in post #14763777 (external link)
Them selling you a faulty lens is a good experience?

It's usually a good idea to finish reading before coming to a conclusion...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,955 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 26, 2012 04:30 |  #25

breath of fresh air to read such positive experiences. Thanks for posting...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

MidnightUK
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 26, 2012 05:32 |  #26

Thanks for posting.

If anyone reads the lensrental blog and site, they will see lensrental and its owner are almost obsessional in their testing of equipment (a good thing) - in addition to new kit coming in to them, lenses seem to be tested after every rental return.

Its a great site to read even if you are not renting (I can't as I am based in another country) as they post up all sorts of test results that are helpful to all serious photographers - indicating common problems with lenses people might buy, the general accuracy of various lenses and all sorts of other handy and fun stuff. Its wonderful they post this up to help people. Lots of us use this info when we look into buying ourselves a new lens and lensrental gain nothing from it, other than a great reputation.

So thanks lensrental folks, for you very interesting and helpful web site. Its much appreciated and I also enjoy the humour of your writer :-)

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 26, 2012 09:30 |  #27

considering the lens was provided with high res close-ups as well as TEST SAMPLES taken with the camera, I don't think it would be in the company's interest to knowingly sell a lens with faulty IS given the cost to have it shipped an additional two times. (not to mention the tarnish on their highly polished reputation) Benefit of the doubt, indeed. I've dealt with lens rentals before and they are highly efficient in what they do. If you think this was a deliberate scheme then I'm confident in claiming that you're speaking out of ignorance.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 26, 2012 09:32 |  #28

Roroco wrote in post #14764278 (external link)
You can't please some people.

Better file a complaint with the BBB! :rolleyes:

:D

Joel

stlouis_26
304 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 13, 2012 04:58 as a reply to  @ post 14764194 |  #29

I have bought from LenRentals and the equipment and service was outstanding. Even if you did not rent or buy from them a visit to their site is worth the time. They give people some great evaluations on cameras and lens from their point of view. They have even done evaluations of how lens hold up and the kind of service they get from repair centers. Highly recommend them and no I don't work for them or know anyone there.

ejhc11
161 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 13, 2012 09:18 |  #30

That's great to hear an online place still taking care of customers...

Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

7,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
My experience *buying* from LensRentals.com
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.