Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AF problems with your 40mm Pancake? Please post your Serial Number.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 25, 2012 04:40 |  #91

Caekys wrote in post #14766373 (external link)
Just to add mine. Also when AF fails, shifting or attempting to focus seems to produce a high frequency sound from the lens. Based on my engineering experiences, seems like a contact problem which causes the lens motor to be not properly powered to have enough torque.

890101XXXX on 5D3

Yah, the sound on mine was like very short bursts of the motor, but nothing happening.

In your opinion, do you think there's the possibility that the mount itself is stiff when new, creating improper contact? If so, this would actually explain why the disappearance of this issue correlates with the mounting of this lens 'wearing in' and no longer feeling stiff....

I dunno, pure speculation, but food for thought.

sponsored links
mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 25, 2012 04:45 |  #92

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14671208 (external link)
EDIT: I'm starting a list for examples with *NO* AF issues reported. However, if you put yours on a list, and THEN it has an issue, please let me know, so I can take it off the green list, and onto the red list.

In that case, you should really add kawi's lens to the red list. I don't think it matters whether you force the issue at all, just whether it has ever shown it.

And I've extended my serial number (the one with the 7D, I posted very early on).

as an aside, it's kind of interesting to see the range of owners who purchased a 40mm....:)

Caekys
20 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 25, 2012 05:01 |  #93

mrkgoo wrote in post #14766395 (external link)
Yah, the sound on mine was like very short bursts of the motor, but nothing happening.

In your opinion, do you think there's the possibility that the mount itself is stiff when new, creating improper contact? If so, this would actually explain why the disappearance of this issue correlates with the mounting of this lens 'wearing in' and no longer feeling stiff....

I dunno, pure speculation, but food for thought.

Could be due to the mount, or it could be internal. I highly hope it is the mount, so that it is just a matter of "wearing in".

No way to confirm this unless I open up and test, which I won't! Don't tempt me.:confused:

Toolbox: 5D3|35L|85

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 25, 2012 06:36 |  #94

Caekys wrote in post #14766423 (external link)
Could be due to the mount, or it could be internal. I highly hope it is the mount, so that it is just a matter of "wearing in".

No way to confirm this unless I open up and test, which I won't! Don't tempt me.:confused:

Did yours feel a little tight or grindy to mount?

It's funny that you mention the sound, because I felt it was a power thing as well. Like struggling to get enough power was my first thought. I haven't seen it since for a couple weeks now.

Geckotek
193 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 09:20 |  #95

Number45 wrote in post #14766153 (external link)
I didn't do that manually, no, but it's possible that it could have happened while in the bag because those first few times I didn't bring it all the way back in via AF/MF. I will ensure that that's done in future of course, but it still seems like a possible issue with the lens.

He wasn't trying to get you to push it in because it should be pushed in, he was asking if you had pushed it in (accidentally or intentionally) because that's what appears to cause the non-focusing issue. So there is no need to ensure that you push it in, but if you'd like to test for the issue, this is how you would do it.

5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 40 Pancake | 50 1.8 II
Photoshelter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Number45
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 25, 2012 09:26 |  #96

Yeah, I did realise that - all I meant was that at the moment the camera isn't very snug in the bag (I have a little padding with me now that will hopefully sort that out) so it's possible that movement while in the bag might have nudged it in.

Geckotek
193 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 09:36 |  #97

Cool. Also, I should have added "when it's turned on". So pushing it in while the camera is powered off doesn't seem to have the same effect. At least that's what I've noticed and read from others.

5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 40 Pancake | 50 1.8 II
Photoshelter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 25, 2012 12:46 |  #98

I think I remember when I was messing around with mine that when I pressed it in and the power to the AF was off I had no problems, but when it was on and the camera was ready to be focusing is when the issue happened.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

Caekys
20 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 25, 2012 20:44 |  #99

mrkgoo wrote in post #14766586 (external link)
Did yours feel a little tight or grindy to mount?

It's funny that you mention the sound, because I felt it was a power thing as well. Like struggling to get enough power was my first thought. I haven't seen it since for a couple weeks now.

It is definitely tight, I felt tighter than my 35mm and 85mm. Not grindy, as in sandy feeling, no.

Toolbox: 5D3|35L|85

Number45
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2012 04:07 |  #100

Canned response from Canon support:

Further to your enquiry, we are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Canon EOS 650D camera.

Regarding the fact that the Autofocus is failing and taking it off the lens does solve the issue, be advised that the contacts between the lens and the camera might need a cleaning and make sure that you are using a Canon Lens with this camera. If the problem persists, please try an alternative lens and if this does not make any difference a repair might be required.

A list of available repair centres can be obtained via the following link:

http://www.canon.co.uk …rvices_locator/​index.aspx (external link)

You will need to select Lens from the dropdown menu. There is no need to contact the repair centre before sending. Please include in your package a covering letter detailing the problem, a return address and a proof of purchase for an in warranty repair (within 12 months of purchase). Be advised that you will be liable for all associated costs for an out of warranty repair and the repair centre will advise you of these costs prior to repair.

In order to ensure a smooth and prompt service please read and carefully follow the instructions contained in our repair process by use of the following link:

http://www.canon.ie …ducts/Repair_Pr​ocess.aspx (external link)

Regarding the link you sent us on what might be the cause of this issue, we cannot make any comment on this forums, but we can confirm that this is not a known issue.

Once again, thank you for contacting Canon Support. We hope the above information is of use to you.

I guess the fact that people on here have suggested that the problem resolves itself with time (i.e. after repeated re-mountings) suggests it could be dirty contacts on some of the lenses?

The link was to this thread, so that they would understand that it's affecting multiple people/cameras.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 26, 2012 19:19 |  #101

9021104079 - no issues on 7D or 5D Mk II.

And for what it is worth..... It fits normally on both cameras. (not tight)

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

agog
258 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 26, 2012 20:16 as a reply to  @ msowsun's post |  #102

Mine is on the way back to Amazon. It upset the af on a 7D and a 1DMKIV. Neither would focus in AV mode after the 40 was taken off. Just to make sure the effect was due to the lens, after I reset both camera's settings, I mounted it again on the 7D and the same issue occurred. When focusing on anything the shutter speed jumped to 8000. Removing the battery did nothing. The av error was with a 400 f/5.6 and a 70-300 f/4-56L. The mount was tight on the 40mm and sounded like there was a little scraping when mounted. Since these mounts are mass produced I am concerned that there are many more out there. The lens exhibited no issues on its own, focus was sharp both manual and auto focus and the images were excellent wide open. Clearing all settings on both cameras seems to have corrected the issue for them.
Tim

70D, 6D, 50mm f/1.2 L, 70-300mm F4-F5.6L, 400 mm f/5.6L, Zeiss 2/35 ZE, 135 f/2.0L, 85mm f/1.2L, 70-200L II,
Zeiss 2.8/21 ZE, 40mm f/2.8

Kiwikat
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 01, 2012 23:16 |  #103

No issues with mine on my 5D2 or 50D- 902121xxxx

Cool little lens. I think it is going to replace my 2/35. I don't use it enough to warrant keeping an expensive, heavy lens around.

"Would you really want to be the Canon rep responsible for dealing with POTN?" -FlyingPhotog
Nikon D7100 Gripped | 18-140G VR | 150-600 VC 'Tamzooka'

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 05, 2012 16:40 |  #104

5D2 here. Bought this morning and have had the issue three times. First time was upon its first mount out of box. Dis/remount fixed it - thought nothing more of it. The next two times the camera was turned off, the cap was put on, and the barrel was accidentally pushed in (again, camera was off). AF would not work until I dis/remounted it.

89212065xx

Geckotek wrote in post #14767181 (external link)
Cool. Also, I should have added "when it's turned on". So pushing it in while the camera is powered off doesn't seem to have the same effect. At least that's what I've noticed and read from others.

It does for me. Here is my sequence of events.

Power 5D2 off. Put lens cap back on (barrel goes in, I've since learned to put less pressure when putting the cap back on). Turn on camera. AF is "dead." Turn camera off. Dismount. Remount. Everything is a-okay.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 08, 2012 19:34 |  #105

nice canon.

http://www.canonrumors​.com …2-8-stm-product-advisory/ (external link)

happened to me once. just been careful since. im glad firmware will be release but hope it will be for everyone.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

sponsored links

30,410 views & 0 likes for this thread
AF problems with your 40mm Pancake? Please post your Serial Number.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.