Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 25, 2012 10:09 |  #8671

sevillafox wrote in post #14767329 (external link)
Oh look, another squirrel!

And shane. :-| I smell pretty like a girl should.

Lol I assumed you were quoting the Up! movie. Perhaps I just made myself a creeper.

Shane
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 10:09 |  #8672

umphotography wrote in post #14767183 (external link)
Nice shots. BTW, Nothing wrong with shooting JPEG format. If thats what you are comfortable with and your clients are happy.. all the power to ya. Most guys that shoot raw are concerned with memory use, file space Ect Ect .......Momery is cheap. Programs like Lightroom make it a bit better to use a raw file. There are some extra steps no doubt. Try it again with the newer programs. If your willing to make the investment of time and $$ for the programs, I think you will find that RAW will give your more control and better constancy with your photography.

Yes, I think you are right. I have begun to enjoy PP slightly more since I got PS elements 10; not the best, but not bad at all.
I used to think of RAWs as pretty well useles with digital photo professional, but I know they do have their place.

I'll try processing a few more RAWs than normal this weekend and see how it goes; after all, the best skill a photographer can have is always being willing to learn.
Thanks!

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 25, 2012 10:11 |  #8673

umphotography wrote in post #14749933 (external link)
Thanks.. we waited until the sun dropped below the horizon for the water shots. It lights the entire river like this for about 5-6 minutes,, pretty cool,,then its back to ugly muddy brown,,especially after all the storms

Did you use a flash with a CTO filter?

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 25, 2012 10:18 as a reply to  @ facedodge's post |  #8674

JakAHearts wrote in post #14767340 (external link)
Lol I assumed you were quoting the Up! movie. Perhaps I just made myself a creeper.

I was....I just didn't remember that line. :lol:

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 25, 2012 10:35 |  #8675

sevillafox wrote in post #14767329 (external link)
Oh look, another squirrel!

And shane. :-| I smell pretty like a girl should.

Ahahha,,,Video,,,Gulp,​,, sorrry..had to go there and JK BTW:p:p:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 25, 2012 10:37 |  #8676

facedodge wrote in post #14767356 (external link)
Did you use a flash with a CTO filter?

No

BD with a sock and I had a cpl on the lens

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 25, 2012 10:45 |  #8677

D. Vance wrote in post #14767344 (external link)
Yes, I think you are right. I have begun to enjoy PP slightly more since I got PS elements 10; not the best, but not bad at all.
I used to think of RAWs as pretty well useles with digital photo professional, but I know they do have their place.

I'll try processing a few more RAWs than normal this weekend and see how it goes; after all, the best skill a photographer can have is always being willing to learn.
Thanks!

No Problem Darin. Thats what this thread is all about. Helping each other improve and learn new stuff. I think you will find that shooting raw is actually easier and more adventatious with the newer programs...Lightroom is the bomb for Raw shooters. Makesit almost pointless to ever go the JPEG route.....that being said,,if I am shooting sports,,I am probably shooting JPEG format....straight off the camera,,shot these in California last month. The kids are both just out of HS

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …/karenbaby12/A9​7W2212.jpg (external link)

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …/karenbaby12/A9​7W2209.jpg (external link)

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …/karenbaby12/A9​7W2190.jpg (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 25, 2012 11:26 |  #8678

For those shooting jpg, are you constantly updating your white balance when outside? It seems time consuming. :)

I shoot raw+jpg, then once the files are on the computer I resize the jpgs down to 1200px and use them to do my picture viewing and personal selections. Much faster than trying to navigate full size jpgs or much larger raw files. I wish my camera would let me choose small jpg like my 20d did, but oh well. another reason to upgrade later on, hehe.

Canon investor

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 25, 2012 12:08 |  #8679

Just beacuse one is using jpegs doesn't mean WB will change. I keep mine to some fixed value whether shooting in RAW or jpeg. Makes it so much easier. You can easily change all images in LR.

I mainly shoot RAW. Had to use jpegs for two weeks as I got 5dmk3 and need to upgrade LR and now even stupid windows as LR4.1 won't run on XP.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 12:13 |  #8680

GerryDavid wrote in post #14767722 (external link)
For those shooting jpg, are you constantly updating your white balance when outside? It seems time consuming. :)

I shoot raw+jpg, then once the files are on the computer I resize the jpgs down to 1200px and use them to do my picture viewing and personal selections. Much faster than trying to navigate full size jpgs or much larger raw files. I wish my camera would let me choose small jpg like my 20d did, but oh well. another reason to upgrade later on, hehe.

Yes; after you do it for a while, it's easy; you get use to where the buttons are, and can do it on the fly!
(In fact, changing the flash settings takes longer for me, I think.)
I shoot on shade probably 90% of the time when I'm outside; that's just personal preference.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 25, 2012 12:17 |  #8681

bobbyz wrote in post #14767911 (external link)
Just beacuse one is using jpegs doesn't mean WB will change. I keep mine to some fixed value whether shooting in RAW or jpeg. Makes it so much easier. You can easily change all images in LR.

I mainly shoot RAW. Had to use jpegs for two weeks as I got 5dmk3 and need to upgrade LR and now even stupid windows as LR4.1 won't run on XP.

D. Vance wrote in post #14767927 (external link)
Yes; after you do it for a while, it's easy; you get use to where the buttons are, and can do it on the fly!
(In fact, changing the flash settings takes longer for me, I think.)
I shoot on shade probably 90% of the time when I'm outside; that's just personal preference.

Its my experience that white balance changes slightly every minute. I also only shoot in shade and still notice this. :) I have to go in raw file by raw file to tweak each one. :) this is why im thinking of outsourcing my white balance work, its probably half the time Im behind the computer trying to get it just right. :)

Canon investor

jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 25, 2012 13:12 |  #8682

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Good news everyone! I used to shoot in JPEG too...back when I had a point an click. :lol:

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L
Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Julianne Grace 365

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 25, 2012 13:14 |  #8683

jerefish wrote in post #14768141 (external link)
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Good news everyone! I used to shoot in JPEG too...back when I had a point an click. :lol:

Since you still use the 7D in Auto, you technically still have a point and click. ;):lol:

Shane
flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 25, 2012 13:15 |  #8684

GerryDavid wrote in post #14767936 (external link)
Its my experience that white balance changes slightly every minute. I also only shoot in shade and still notice this. :) I have to go in raw file by raw file to tweak each one. :) this is why im thinking of outsourcing my white balance work, its probably half the time Im behind the computer trying to get it just right. :)

I use strobes for 100% of my shoots. Rarely do I need to adjust WB unless I want to make something look different.

If ambient then WB will change but it will change whether you shoot RAW Or Jpeg. So that is what I am not understanding inw hat you were trying to say that with jpegs it will take longer to adjust WB.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 25, 2012 13:38 |  #8685

GerryDavid wrote in post #14767936 (external link)

Outsourcing your WB? Either you are way more exacting than I about WB, or you are doing something way different in your work flow.

sponsored links

2,729,500 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.