Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 02 Jul 2012 (Monday) 00:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

not DSO's but killer lightning

Zaeros
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 06, 2012 14:55 |  #16

nice pictures, where are they from?

sponsored links
deninho
119 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 06, 2012 15:11 |  #17

awesome work, and nice idea Casper!!!

Dionysis
--------------
Canon 6D - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200 f/4 L USM - Canon EX430II
flickr (external link)

IanW
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 06, 2012 15:25 |  #18

Great shots, love the final composite also. You guys are lucky, we never seem to get good lightening storms over here. :(

Canon 5DIII | BG-E11 | Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art | 24-105mm f4L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II | x1.4 & x2 III | 430EX
Yongnuo YN-622C | Kenko Tubes | LEE Filters | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3+498RC2, 694CX

flickr (external link)

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 06, 2012 18:39 |  #19

Zaeros wrote in post #14680016 (external link)
nice pictures, where are they from?

Northeast Tennessee. Near Bristol. And we don't get storms like that very often. The weather usually comes from Texas towards us, moving NorthEast. We get the bad storms when the weather moves South East moving down from the Great Lakes. It was beautiful to watch, luckily the storms were not too bad here. But they got worse further Southeast of us.

Zaeros
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 06, 2012 21:25 |  #20

Toxic Coolaid wrote in post #14681116 (external link)
Northeast Tennessee. Near Bristol. And we don't get storms like that very often. The weather usually comes from Texas towards us, moving NorthEast. We get the bad storms when the weather moves South East moving down from the Great Lakes. It was beautiful to watch, luckily the storms were not too bad here. But they got worse further Southeast of us.

that's why those views seemed a bit familiar, I'm not from the US, but I spent some months in kentucky and I went to Tennesse a couple of times the last year.

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 09, 2012 00:15 as a reply to  @ post 14679965 |  #21

Photoshop doesn't do so bad either, however, re-compressing it kind of killed it. A 4th one line up with a little transform.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 25, 2012 11:53 |  #22

13 minutes worth of lightning. I also had to leave out many bright strikes. Done with StarStax.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i347.photobucke​t.com …/mokpt/stackedI​mage6b.jpg (external link)

Negativ3
83 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2012 12:34 |  #23

I really like the last shot of yr 1st post. The composite also works really well.

Andy
My adventures designing a camera trigger... http://stormtrigger.bl​ogspot.com (external link)

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 29, 2012 02:42 as a reply to  @ Negativ3's post |  #24

Very nice Toxic, you sure seem to get more violent storms in TN then up here in MI, a good/bad thing.

How'd you capture them at "the moment"?
Handheld or tripod + multiple via automatic pilot?

For mine, I set my camera on tripod, and let it take 100's of picts then sifted thru those for the strikes.
It was quite dark so exposure was multiple seconds, some of the very near strike were overexposed and had to do PP on them for composites.
If you have some "spare" coinage this would help http://www.aeophoto.co​m/LS3ProSpec.html (external link)

I started this thread Post your storms/lightning/wild nature shots here in the Nature & Landscapes forum, you should post yours there.

From that thread - I did the composite technique also for these, this one 2 images.

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4dQSjUHb7O4/TFdvzqFJr_I/AAAAAAAAKig/2QhUsUDVtR4/s1024/Jun%252023%2520lighting%2520b.jpg

This one is 5-6 images (I forget exactly), I call this "Jul 15 angry skies"
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EW7z8_zzzJY/TD_MzqjSM7I/AAAAAAAAKaI/FddOtRFiRtk/s1024/Jul%252015%2520angry%2520skies.jpg

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 29, 2012 11:06 |  #25

I actually shoot with a strike detector and I'll let the remote timer shoot 8-15 second subs with the other camera. The detector sets off with every strike so you still have to sort through a bunch. I think I paid $100 off ebay for it brand new, and it works great. It's pretty rare for us to get storms like the one we had that night, but the weather has been very different this year. Everyone else seems to be in a drought, and we are around +8 inches for the year. July has already been the wettest on record.

MuTTaL888
36 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 14, 2012 23:58 |  #26

Scary stuff but nice shots.

sponsored links

4,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
not DSO's but killer lightning
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.