Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 22 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 05:02
Search threadPrev/next

What ISO for indoor boudoir style shoot?

TekHouse
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 22, 2012 05:02 |  #1

HI,

I was thinking of using iso 800 for a shoot indoors. Is this going to cause too much noise?

Will be using : 50mm (nifty fifty), 70-200 f2.8 L and a 100mm 2.8 macro.

Light will be from windows through daylight and also my 58 AF-1 Metz, used both on and off camera, with Gary Fong Lightsphere and also his snoot/grid.

flickr (external link)

Moppie
14,895 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 22, 2012 05:28 |  #2

Why are you deciding what ISO to shoot at when you don't even know what exposure values you will need?

Why is it even something to consider?

There are far more important things to think about when working with a model, correct exposure should just be a reflex.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

TekHouse
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 22, 2012 06:02 |  #3

All good questions.

flickr (external link)

Moppie
14,895 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 22, 2012 06:24 |  #4

Photography is more about problem solving than it is about ISO and shutter speeds.

Its problem solving with a very direct purpose, the realization of a creative idea.
You have the idea, then you figure out how to turn it into a photography.
The idea can occur years, or months or days before, or it can happen there and then, but whats important is having the idea.

Before a shoot you should be thinking about the idea, what you want to shoot, the look, the feel, the over all concept. Then figure out how your going to get there and what tools you will need.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 23, 2012 15:13 |  #5

How bright is the sunlight coming through the window, and how well does it light the room?

What style are you going for: High-key, low-key, somewhere in between?

Start out at ISO100 and only increase it if you need the additional exposure to maintain an appropriate shutter speed and aperture.

Remember that your shutter speed is going to have upper and lower bounds based on your subject matter and your use of flash: Anything lower than about 1/60 and you're risking motion blur due to micro-movements of the subject; anything faster than 1/200 and you're exceeding your flash sync speed.

Many boudoir-style shots make good use of a wide aperture and a shallow depth of field, so you have that working in your corner if the light is not ideal.

Do you have access to the location? Take a teddy bear or a mannequin or a buddy in there and do some test shots. DON'T be fumbling around with your camera settings while the model is posing for you.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

TekHouse
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 25, 2012 17:59 |  #6

I did some test shots..without a model..I won't post the shots, as you will all laugh too hard.

Not because they turned out bad, in fact they turned out awesome..But you will not believe how I tested for the shots..

I did not have a teddy bear to shoot, but I did have lingerie..So in effect I shot an 'invisible woman' LOL.

Took some setting up but the result was that I now know what the light will be like. And all is sorted.

:)

flickr (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 28, 2012 18:58 |  #7

now I WANT to see one of those test photos!

But in general, keep ISO as low as you can unless you have a top of the line camera. And even then, that would be my strategy. As long as you can get an exposure of about the mm of your lens (50mm lens, go for at least 1/60 sec, 200mm lens go for 1/300 etc) you should be fine.

Also depends on your post. I've taken noisy and slightly out of focus images and turned them into b/w grainy photos that look great. A shot is almost never lost, there's always something you can do with it, even if what you wanted to do didn't work out.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

foto-foley
20 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 04, 2012 19:55 as a reply to  @ phantelope's post |  #8

ISO is another personal thing, Grain or no grain etc and so on.

8,216 views & 0 likes for this thread
What ISO for indoor boudoir style shoot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.