Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

*facepalm* This is why I tell people who know nothing about photography to get a P&S!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 26, 2012 01:53 |  #1

As much as I love photography, I think it's absolutely idiotic that so many people get DSLRs, M4/3s, etc...sooo many of them simply use it on the Green Box and know nothing about even the basics of photography. These people, I have always believed would be MUCH better off with a decent P&S...I read this customer review of a Sony NEX 5n (researching for a friend whom I can't seem to talk out of wasting her money)...the buyer was so clueless about cameras he/she didn't know that the camera won't take pictures without a lens!!

"This camera is a very good camera for those of you who can't afford a professional camera but like to take high quality pics. I love to take photos and I am always looking for a better camera at a fairly reasonable price this one is a little expensive but I am satisfied with it. It shoots well with the lens, but it is like a blind bat without any lens. I was under the impression that without the lens it can still take good photos, only zooming will be limited. But i didn't realize that the lens is required to focus as well. without the lens it is probably useless.

Apart from that it works well, has the normal features of any good camera etc."

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
touji
891 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 26, 2012 02:03 |  #2

Hah, how amusing!

I was sitting around taking pictures near my school when I first got my DSLR having my hand at panning and ended up engaging in conversation with a gentleman. He had a D3100 and I a T2i at the time, and he let me take a go with the D3100. When he saw me twist the kit lens to zoom he freaked out because he had no clue that his kit lens could zoom in and out.

I always recommend my friends to get a P&S when they ask me for camera recommendations unless they are looking to really get into photography.

5D Mark III | Gripped 60D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II | Canon 8-15mm f4L | Canon 50mm f1.8II | Canon 100L | Tamron 150-600mm
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
Shooting Since 10/16/2011!

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jul 26, 2012 02:14 |  #3

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14771109 (external link)
As much as I love photography, I think it's absolutely idiotic that so many people get DSLRs, M4/3s, etc...sooo many of them simply use it on the Green Box and know nothing about even the basics of photography. These people, I have always believed would be MUCH better off with a decent P&S...I read this customer review of a Sony NEX 5n (researching for a friend whom I can't seem to talk out of wasting her money)...the buyer was so clueless about cameras he/she didn't know that the camera won't take pictures without a lens!!

"This camera is a very good camera for those of you who can't afford a professional camera but like to take high quality pics. I love to take photos and I am always looking for a better camera at a fairly reasonable price this one is a little expensive but I am satisfied with it. It shoots well with the lens, but it is like a blind bat without any lens. I was under the impression that without the lens it can still take good photos, only zooming will be limited. But i didn't realize that the lens is required to focus as well. without the lens it is probably useless.

Apart from that it works well, has the normal features of any good camera etc."

Hilarious!
Maybe......

Though recently, it amazes (shocks....saddens....​) me when I realise how many people know so little these days.
(I'm an English teacher in Japan, and I regularly facepalm myself when students demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge, or desire to gain same!)

For example, 16 year-old Japanese kids who don't know how to count ordinal numbers in Japanese!!!

:cry:

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 26, 2012 02:22 |  #4

this is just life.

just cuz you own something, doesnt mean you have taste or skill.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 26, 2012 02:23 |  #5

without the lens it is probably useless.

This is a completely unjustified slander. It will make a highly efficient and very decorative paperwight. During a domestic altercation it can be thrown with satisfying results.

Elie / אלי

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 26, 2012 02:29 |  #6

with the internet, im just surprised how lazy people have become to just not search for the answer. i can understand that before theres no easy access to information. but there is really no reason not to know anymore. or maybe the internet revealed to us just the reality of our world.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

touji
891 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 26, 2012 02:47 |  #7

skygod44 wrote in post #14771209 (external link)
Hilarious!
Maybe......

Though recently, it amazes (shocks....saddens....​) me when I realise how many people know so little these days.
(I'm an English teacher in Japan, and I regularly facepalm myself when students demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge, or desire to gain same!)

For example, 16 year-old Japanese kids who don't know how to count ordinal numbers in Japanese!!!

:cry:

And here I am looking up what ordinal numbers mean :D

5D Mark III | Gripped 60D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II | Canon 8-15mm f4L | Canon 50mm f1.8II | Canon 100L | Tamron 150-600mm
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
Shooting Since 10/16/2011!

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 26, 2012 04:39 as a reply to  @ touji's post |  #8

This has not much to do with DSRL or P&S. It has something to do that many people often don't do the research and compare what they want with what they buy. There is nothing wrong with somebody buying a DSRL in order to take bird pictures with a 400mm in the green box mode. But there is something wrong with somebody buying $5000 worth of equipment if he just want to have a camera around to take snapshots that he also could have taken with a $100 p&s.

Donate if you love POTN

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 26, 2012 07:06 |  #9

Ah, all these arguments are basically true, BUT... the more cameras sold, the lower the price.
I wish a half a million people would buy the 5DC so the price drops enough that I could afford one.
I always encourage people to buy the best they can, maybe later they'll get tired of it resting in the closet and I can get a good deal to help them unload it.
I always recommend Canon DSLR's because that's what I use. ;)

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 26, 2012 07:51 |  #10

Wow, that's pretty selfish dude. I always recommend people buy what's right for their needs. And, honestly, a good P&S is what's right for the needs of 99% of the people.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 26, 2012 08:00 |  #11

Lot of whining on this thread.

So your friend gets a nice DSLR and puts it on green box all the time. What's wrong with that? Now she has a point and shoot-style of taking pictures (just like when she had a point and shoot) but the quality will be dramatically better.

There's nothing wrong with buying a dslr and just firing on auto using live view. Who cares?

Thank you. bw!

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 26, 2012 08:04 |  #12

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14771848 (external link)
Wow, that's pretty selfish dude. I always recommend people buy what's right for their needs. And, honestly, a good P&S is what's right for the needs of 99% of the people.

You should always recommend what you have used to sell. ;)

I wish I knew the amazon link of the review because I would post a comment on the review. As someone who really reads reviews on Amazon before I purchase a product, I find what she wrote insulting and completely worthless.

armis
899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 26, 2012 08:07 |  #13

Saw a woman in Indonesia trying to shoot the sunrise. 5D2, L glass and everything, like $4000 hanging around her neck. I was shooting alongside her with my camera propped on top of a wide concrete post, because those were 8-15 second exposures. She, on the other hand, was handholding 4-second shots (presumably at higher ISO) and then looked really puzzled about the blur. She also had the annoying habit of hearing my mirror go up, probably thinking that was my camera taking the shot, and walking right in front of me. I had to have a chat with her and explained the concept of long exposures :).

Then again, I'm not sure it would've worked better with a P&S. But at least it would have been cheaper!

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

dizzye36m3
939 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 26, 2012 08:10 |  #14

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14771882 (external link)
Lot of whining on this thread.

So your friend gets a nice DSLR and puts it on green box all the time. What's wrong with that? Now she has a point and shoot-style of taking pictures (just like when she had a point and shoot) but the quality will be dramatically better.

There's nothing wrong with buying a dslr and just firing on auto using live view. Who cares?

There's nothing wrong with that. But it's kind of like buying a Ferrari and driving it across the street to buy groceries. That would not make sense to car enthusiasts. Just like not using a DSLR to its full capabilities, does not make sense to photography enthusiasts.

-Sean flickr (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 26, 2012 08:16 |  #15

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14771882 (external link)

Problem is, the quality is not dramatically better. Often, it's worse.

Small format cameras inherently have tremendous DOF, so focus accuracy isn't very important. With a P&S you can aim it in the general direction of your subject, it will find something to focus on, and it will be good enough. That doesn't work with a DSLR, and it's the biggest reason many people buy a DSLR, only to return it because "My cheap little pocket camera takes better pictures than this thing!"

Secondly, the superior low light capabilities that come with a larger sensor don't get utilized because a DSLR won't go above 400 ISO in [Green Box] mode. They try to take shots at a theatre rehearsal and they still get blurry pictures from slow shutter speeds.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

sponsored links

11,483 views & 0 likes for this thread
*facepalm* This is why I tell people who know nothing about photography to get a P&S!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.