Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 21:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 10-22 or Tokina 11-16 for this purpose?

Z32
337 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 25, 2012 21:18 |  #1

Long story short, I'm getting an opportunity to go on a once in a lifetime trip for a car (particulary Nissan Z) enthusiast. Someone I know who is well connected is taking a small group of us to Japan in a few months to go inside the Nissan factory, into the their "secret" warehouse at Zama (see pic below), hang with the execs of Nissan/Nismo, sit in the pits at a GT race, and a long list of other crazy things that aren't available to the general public.

I want to pick up an UWA lens for this trip b/c I'll be shooting cars at close range. I'm shooting with a Canon 40D. I'm taking my 24-105L as my walk-around lens for general purposes, but would switch to the UWA for particular events.

I was set on getting a Canon 10-22, but after doing some reading the Tokina 11-16 is also a possibility b/c it's a 2.8. I'm not worried about shooting outdoors (would go with the 10-22), but see the picture below of this massive storage facility. I know on more than one occasion, I'll be shooting in an indoor place with this kind of lighting and I probably will not have my tripod. So I need to be sure I can capture handheld pics like this one my friend took a few years ago.

Considering the indoor location/lighting like this along with shooting outdoors, would you guys recommend the Canon 10-22 or the Tokina 11-16? Thanks in advance.

IMAGE: http://senorfrog99.smugmug.com/Cars/Flashback/i-FnCZSvp/0/XL/RZ30-XL.jpg

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 21:32 |  #2

I would still recommend the Canon 10-22. If you look at the EXIF for this photo, it's shot at ISO 200 and 1/20. The lighting doesn't look too bad.. you could use ISO 400 or 800. 1/20 is also perfectly doable on the 10-22, as it's so wide and the DOF so deep. Outside, you'll be glad to have the Canon, for flare resistance and lack of heavy CA.

**Completely jealous.. you won the lottery on this!** :eek:

Kel
Gear

5280Pics
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 25, 2012 21:33 |  #3

I vote Tokina! It is a superb lens, and the 2.8 doesnt hurt!

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 25, 2012 21:58 |  #4

Canon easily. See all those lights? Now imagine each of them turning into a flare spot. You run that risk with the tokina. The EXIF, as mentioned by Kel, shows the shot being at 1/20 at ISO 200 and f3.5. That is easily doable with the canon. If you need slightly higher SS, just bump the ISO up one or two stops, still noise free and you'll have a 1/40 or 1/80 SS, or you can even stop down to get more DOF.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

nightcat
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 26, 2012 05:13 |  #5

Yes, the Tokina exhibits some flare when dealing with the sun. But if it flared every time there was a light in the picture (as a previous poster suggested), it would be the most trashed hated lens in the history of photography! The Tokina is a slightly sharper, MUCH better built lens and it has 2.8. And for some unexplainable reason, it's less expensive. That said, I might actually prefer the Canon for this particular trip due to the extended focal range. That 17-22mm range may come in handy. However if youre fine with 16mm, the 2.8 aperture certainly is attractive for the indoor shots. It's a tough choice.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 26, 2012 05:19 |  #6

nightcat wrote in post #14771549 (external link)
Yes, the Tokina exhibits some flare when dealing with the sun. But if it flared every time there was a light in the picture (as a previous poster suggested), it would be the most trashed hated lens in the history of photography!

Yes, you'd have thought so.

Z32 - get the Canon for exactly the reasons given by Sirrith. I own both these lenses and what he says is correct.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 26, 2012 05:19 |  #7

I'd go with the 10-22 mm lens - it has a better range, the extra 1mm doesn't sound like much but at wide ends it is.

Also, you only need to have a shutter speed that is 1/20s for hand holding at 10mm on crop so that should come very easily.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 26, 2012 08:08 |  #8

I wouldn't touch the Canon with a 10 foot pole!

Tokina has way better IQ! I used my friend's copy with my 5D2 and it is even better IQ than the 14L II

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 26, 2012 08:26 |  #9

smorter wrote in post #14771917 (external link)
I wouldn't touch the Canon with a 10 foot pole!

And you obviously never touched one at all.

I own both. IQ is very similar if you ignore the flare and CA.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Z32
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 26, 2012 09:32 |  #10

thanks for all the feedback. it seems like the 10-22 is what most people recommend, at least in my situation.

downs523
130 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 26, 2012 09:33 |  #11

buy both, take both.... which ever is the better keep and return the other :)

Canon 70d, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 26, 2012 09:41 |  #12

I'm not going to recommend a lens to you (since I haven't used the Tokina)
BUT
I will say that in the picture provided, you wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with the the 10-22.
In the 6 years I've owned the lens, I scarcely can remember a light situation where I couldn't just hand hold the lens and take clear pictures.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 26, 2012 10:39 |  #13

Tokina is way beyond 10-22 when it comes to details, but it suffers the worst flare ever.
However, there is the updated multicoated version shipping out soon. I'd get that one.

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 26, 2012 11:05 |  #14

I've had my Tokina 11-16 for about a month. Extremely well built, and extremely sharp. The general claim of reviewers on the web is that the Canon and Tokina are about equally sharp in the center, but the Tokina is definitely sharper at the edges and corners. When I use an UWA lens, I care about sharpness across the image, so I've been extremely happy with the Tokina. So far I've had no problem with flare in either indoor or outdoor shots, and the modest chromatic aberration, when noticeable, is easily fixed in PP.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 26, 2012 15:00 |  #15

In my personal experience the canon doesn't even come close to the sharpness of the tokina. I've tried 2 copies of each.

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

sponsored links

9,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 10-22 or Tokina 11-16 for this purpose?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.