Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

dolica CF tripod @ costco

JoelO
24 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 25, 2012 16:51 |  #106

This one only has 5.5 lbs rating

Joeymozzer wrote in post #14769015 (external link)
How bout this one
Manfrotto 7321YB 4-Section Aluminum Tripod with 3-way Head with Carrying Case
http://m.costco.com …sJk50eT0xJnRvcG​5hdj0mcz0x (external link)

Canon XTi ~~ EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 ~ EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.3 ~ EF 70-200mm f/4 IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ EX580II

sponsored links
enzoshadow
31 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 26, 2012 02:07 |  #107

I have a Dolica AX620B100 I got for $20 a few years back. Would this be a good upgrade?

NYC2SOCAL
207 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 26, 2012 13:05 |  #108

cowanrg wrote in post #14768266 (external link)
It's not. it won't mount my RSS l-plate.

Thanks cowanrg! Not what I wanted to hear, but at least I didnt waste my time.. :)

EOS ­ mE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 26, 2012 15:31 |  #109

enzoshadow wrote in post #14771175 (external link)
I have a Dolica AX620B100 I got for $20 a few years back. Would this be a good upgrade?

yes. cuz it's a carbon fiber and has great legs... :)

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

kriptikracing
51 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 26, 2012 16:40 |  #110

I'm glad I waited...just ordered one. For those in Hawaii, it'll be $93.23 using express shipping. This is for Oahu, so I don't know if the shipping will be the same for the other islands.

Canon 7D | EF 100mm f/2.8L macro | EF 24-105L | EF 50mm f/1.8 | 430EX II

autobotguy
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2012 22:12 |  #111

I just received my Costco Dolica tripod and it is quite nice! The only thing that bugs me that the screw to fasten the camera to the disconnect plate to the camera is too long and bottoms out on my T3i's battery grip. This leaves the camera to spin on the screw freely on the plate. :(

I guess I'll just hop over to Home Depot and get some thin rubber strips and build up the top of the disconnect plate so the connection is snug. Or.....I can just grind a smidge off the screw to get it to fit properly. :)

- autobotguy -
Canon T3i

Geckotek
193 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 28, 2012 08:58 |  #112

Used tripod last night. Legs aren't bad. Head frustrates the crap out of me. It's got to go. Still worth $79.

5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 40 Pancake | 50 1.8 II
Photoshelter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

spyderpig
193 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 28, 2012 13:31 |  #113

autobotguy wrote in post #14779936 (external link)
I guess I'll just hop over to Home Depot and get some thin rubber strips and build up the top of the disconnect plate so the connection is snug. Or.....I can just grind a smidge off the screw to get it to fit properly. :)

Either way would work. If it were me, I'd probably grind down the threads, but be aware, you will probably have to clean up the threads with a small file or a fine grit dremel.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

spyderpig
193 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 28, 2012 13:36 |  #114

I played around with the in store Sunpak carbon tripod and wasn't too impressed. It seemed to me that the legs were pretty flexible when fully extended. When I pushed down on the tripod, the feet slip on the concrete and the legs splay out. I'm aware you can unscrew the rubber feet so the rubber touches the concrete instead of the metal spike, but it didn't help too much.

Does the Dolica do this too? My only reference is a cheapy tripod so I'm not sure if this is normal.

Joeymozzer
307 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 28, 2012 15:03 |  #115

spyderpig wrote in post #14781961 (external link)
I played around with the in store Sunpak carbon tripod and wasn't too impressed. It seemed to me that the legs were pretty flexible when fully extended. When I pushed down on the tripod, the feet slip on the concrete and the legs splay out. I'm aware you can unscrew the rubber feet so the rubber touches the concrete instead of the metal spike, but it didn't help too much.

Does the Dolica do this too? My only reference is a cheapy tripod so I'm not sure if this is normal.

I'm in your same boat, I've asked several times for some advice on my cheapy sunpak compared to the Dolica but haven't recieved any. I'm still learning and was wondering if the sunpak is a decent starter tripod (I only paid $13 but it runs $60), I don't have $100+ to spend on a very good tripod so just wanna know if I should keep my sunpak or upgrade slightly to the Dolica. So far for what I do (nothing major) the sunpak is ok, but want a better one down the line , and for $79 wondering if... Thanks

My Camera: Canon T1i
Lens: (canon kit) EFS 18-55*** EF 50mm F1.8 ll***EFS 55-250
Accesories: Lowepro Sling Shot 102 AW Bag***Dolica ZX600B103 Tripod***RocketFish CP/ND Filters (52mm/58mm)***430ex II ***
My Shots: Still Learning :) (external link)

ekraahi
216 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 28, 2012 15:23 as a reply to  @ Joeymozzer's post |  #116

Got my Dolica Tripod from Costco on thursday and it looks like a good buy for the money. Will watch the wear though in a month or so.

Cheers

Surya @ New Jersey
Canon 5D MKIII, 14 f2.8, 16-35L II up for trade, 24 TSE II, 35 f2.8, 24-70L II, 100 f2.8L, 70-300L, 580 EX II, Pocket Wizards, Manfrottos and other stuff

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 28, 2012 16:11 |  #117
bannedPermanent ban

Got mine.
I can see how the camera screw length could be problem w some cameras.
What is the advantance / disadvantage of the B300 Ball Head over the B103 ??

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 28, 2012 17:58 |  #118

Joeymozzer wrote in post #14782214 (external link)
I'm in your same boat, I've asked several times for some advice on my cheapy sunpak compared to the Dolica but haven't recieved any. I'm still learning and was wondering if the sunpak is a decent starter tripod (I only paid $13 but it runs $60), I don't have $100+ to spend on a very good tripod so just wanna know if I should keep my sunpak or upgrade slightly to the Dolica. So far for what I do (nothing major) the sunpak is ok, but want a better one down the line , and for $79 wondering if... Thanks

I have a Sunpak also, hate the damn thing. It buckles under the weight of my 5DII and 24-70. Well, that's an exaggeration, it doesn't buckle, but this IS what happens:

1) The legs bow inwards when fully extended.
2) The plastic bits are actually "rubbery" so they don't keep the camera in place. So, you get creep. Especially at the up/down angle, due to the "heavy" lens.
3) The "plate" for the quick release sucks. When I have it on vertical orientation, the lens will drag the front of the camera down.

That's my consideration of my own Sunpak (that I bought for an "expensive" $60 years ago). Now? I still use it. Haven't had a chance to buy a decent tripod yet, but that doesn't stop me from lamenting the purchase.

However, if the tripod suits you well, then of course it will suit you. If you find no problem with your Sunpak in use, I don't see why asking others will make any difference other than getting buyer's remorse. I think the safest bet with tripods is to "Buy for the Future". Get the tripod you want that can handle what you think/know/want you'll be getting in the horizon and plan around that.

Of course, some do say having multiple tripods is even better. One for travel, one for HEAVY lenses (800mm? 1200mm?), and one that specializes in low angle shooting.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

spyderpig
193 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 28, 2012 18:52 |  #119

Joeymozzer wrote in post #14782214 (external link)

I know. I've been waiting for people to respond to your question and was thinking maybe their costco's don't have the sunpaks?

autobotguy
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 29, 2012 00:04 |  #120

It turns out that the battery grip for my t3i has a short bevel at the screw entrance that is bumping the disconnect plate on the Dolica tripod, not allowing the camera to sit flush with the disconnect plate. So it looks like grinding the screw down will achieve nothing. This means that I'll have to go with the adhesive rubber strips idea.

UPDATE:
Well neither Lowes or Home Depot had any type of adhesive backed rubber strips, so I just got some wide rubber washers. The washer slid over the disconnect plate screw and held the camera on tight when installed. AWESOME! NOW I can say that this is definitively an great Tripod/head kit for the price. ^_^

- autobotguy -
Canon T3i

sponsored links

68,953 views & 0 likes for this thread
dolica CF tripod @ costco
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.