Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jul 2012 (Friday) 00:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark III back up to MSRP?

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 27, 2012 03:41 |  #16

KenBPhotos wrote in post #14776332 (external link)
^Whoops, I could have sworn it said $2800, but you're right, it's actually $3050. Has anyone bought from them? They seem really sketchy.

I purchased a 7D from them a while back. They did call after I ordered and 'made sure I didn't need anything else' but as long as you can withstand that, they're an authorized seller and the price is usually right.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links
KenBPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
572 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 27, 2012 03:54 |  #17

elrey2375 wrote in post #14776495 (external link)
I purchased a 7D from them a while back. They did call after I ordered and 'made sure I didn't need anything else' but as long as you can withstand that, they're an authorized seller and the price is usually right.

Are you sure they're authorized? I'm starting to doubt they actually are as I read a few posts saying they aren't and I downloaded a list of all the auth dealers from Canon and they are not on there. There's 47 street photo in Brooklyn on the list, but not 42 street photo in Manhattan. They don't have it listed anywhere on their site either.

KenBPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
572 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 27, 2012 04:12 |  #18

Just ordered it from J&R for $3250 and UPS 1 day delivery was only $8 for whatever reason. They're definitely Canon Authorized too. Pretty awesome deal in my opinion!

jeyaganesh
438 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 27, 2012 07:05 as a reply to  @ KenBPhotos's post |  #19

I ordered it for $3350 on Amazon last evening (around 7pm) :D

Jay. Flickr (external link) 500px (external link) Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon AE-1 Program, EF 135mm f/2.0 L, EF 35mm f/1.4 L, EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L. (external link)

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 27, 2012 08:12 |  #20

KenBPhotos wrote in post #14776504 (external link)
Are you sure they're authorized? I'm starting to doubt they actually are as I read a few posts saying they aren't and I downloaded a list of all the auth dealers from Canon and they are not on there. There's 47 street photo in Brooklyn on the list, but not 42 street photo in Manhattan. They don't have it listed anywhere on their site either.

When I grew up in NYC, my parents used to go to 42nd street photo to buy all their electronics. They have a big store in the city, don't know if they still have their Long Island store or not, but they have always been annoying to deal with. You could pretty much haggle on just about anything but the process is so painful and you never know if you're getting something from the grey market. There are a lot of these Jewish/middle eastern run electronic stores in NY, big and small, all over the city. I frequented many growing up, but you just never know where they get some of their merchandise from to advertise low prices or have the ability to haggle down so much. Maybe it's just my family's bad luck, but all the stuff we purchased from these stores never lasted very long or had to be exchanged. The brands include Sony, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and other electronic devices, some which were high-end ranges of these brands, all lasted less than 2 years before breaking down with some problem.

I don't want to generalize all these stores since BHPhoto, J&R, 17th st photo, and others started from the many small NYC shops I've described and legitimized themselves into the reputable businesses they are today.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

AJG1
555 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 27, 2012 09:22 |  #21

nonick wrote in post #14776381 (external link)
I decide to wait for the price to come down. Now I am taking a break on DSLR.. and will have fun with mirrorless and compacts. Setting my eyes on Olympus OMD EM5... really wanted to go fuji Xpro1 but the focus speed issue is a deal breaker.

The Oly seems to be the most balanced player in the market. It basically offers eveything I want fro a small body except it doesn't produce the color that unquie with the Fuji mirrorless bodies.

I've had my EM-5 for 4 weeks now....it's an amazing little camera. Very fast, very capable.

Flick (external link)r - www.guytonphotographic​.com (external link)

KenBPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
572 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 27, 2012 09:27 |  #22

sf_loft wrote in post #14776984 (external link)
When I grew up in NYC, my parents used to go to 42nd street photo to buy all their electronics. They have a big store in the city, don't know if they still have their Long Island store or not, but they have always been annoying to deal with. You could pretty much haggle on just about anything but the process is so painful and you never know if you're getting something from the grey market. There are a lot of these Jewish/middle eastern run electronic stores in NY, big and small, all over the city. I frequented many growing up, but you just never know where they get some of their merchandise from to advertise low prices or have the ability to haggle down so much. Maybe it's just my family's bad luck, but all the stuff we purchased from these stores never lasted very long or had to be exchanged. The brands include Sony, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and other electronic devices, some which were high-end ranges of these brands, all lasted less than 2 years before breaking down with some problem.

I don't want to generalize all these stores since BHPhoto, J&R, 17th st photo, and others started from the many small NYC shops I've described and legitimized themselves into the reputable businesses they are today.

Yeah, I used to live in Hoboken right across the Hudson and I'm currently living about an hour away so I've been to these places tons of times before too. It's just the NYC mentality of buying/selling. If you go up to a street vendor and you look even slightly like you're from out of town, your water is $3 instead of $1 and most people pay it! But if you just say "Nah, no way I'm paying $3 for a water, I'll give you a buck" they always take it, cause a sale is a sale. They will give you a great deal cause there's a lot of demand there cause the population is massive, but you gotta haggle your way through it and be on your feet otherwise you could get taken too. A lot of people are turned off by this mentality and I think that's where a lot of the bad reviews come in for that place. They still think it's 1980s Manhattan at 42nd Street Photo which is and will always be a problem for them if you ask me. Look at B&H, they are mega successful, Adorama is another one. I can totally see what you're saying. They adapted, but some places stay the same and that's not good in this day and age. I'm curious to see what these J&R people are like. The price is really great for an auth dealer and I hear great things, but I've never dealt with them before. I just called customer service to verify if it was going out UPS Sat delivery and they were really nice and professional. I imagine if I called 42nd Street Photo I'd be exhausted now filtering out all the BS and getting the questions I need answered.

mc501s
22 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 27, 2012 19:47 |  #23

KenBPhotos wrote in post #14776120 (external link)
Just noticed Amazon and B&H went back to the original $3499 price for the 5D Mark III from the lowered price of $3349 that has been set for the past week or so. Anybody know what happened? I never expected it to go back to $3500 - I thought it would just go lower and lower to compete better with the D800...

frys.com has it for 3199 ;)

KenBPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
572 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 27, 2012 20:01 |  #24

That's a really good deal. They're authorized and everything. I ended up getting it from J&R for $3250. Not too bad. I got an email response back from B&H and they said they would honor the previous price if I called in the order so just an FYI to potential 5DIII buyers out there.

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2012 20:10 |  #25

Got mine at 3199 at Amazon. Showed up for 1 hour, then vanished.
Looks like Frys is doing the same.
Canon wants to control prices at retail (I was told this by a trusted source), but looks like they are letting legitimate retailers lower it below msrp.
This is probably a response to the D800 pricing and popularity.

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 27, 2012 20:26 |  #26

I was getting close to pulling the trigger on the 5d3 with 24-105 for $4099 and it just jumped up to $4299 again. Been watching Canonpricewatch.com for awhile and it's been fluctuating often. I think a $200 rebate on the 70-200 2.8 IS II is ending as well tomorrow.

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

biodan
35 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 28, 2012 21:53 |  #27

KenBPhotos wrote in post #14777269 (external link)
.... I imagine if I called 42nd Street Photo I'd be exhausted now filtering out all the BS and getting the questions I need answered.

I was in the 42nd St Photo store about 2 yrs ago and when i asked about a 1D MarkIV, they rang the purchase up even before i said i'd buy it! That started an unnecessary discussion about a return for something i didn't even buy.

Canon: 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III,
600mm F4 version2, 300 f2.8 IS, 100-400 f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 24 T/S II, 90 T/S, 16-35 f2.8 II, 1.4x III ...
M4/3: OM EM-1, 20 f1.7, 14 f2.5, 12-40 f2.8, 25 f1.4, 7-14 f4

brokkbloodaxe
331 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 28, 2012 23:05 |  #28

biodan wrote in post #14783720 (external link)
I was in the 42nd St Photo store about 2 yrs ago and when i asked about a 1D MarkIV, they rang the purchase up even before i said i'd buy it! That started an unnecessary discussion about a return for something i didn't even buy.

That's crazy! What happened?

5DC, XSIrebel, 18-55, 75-300, 85 1.8, 70-200L f4,50L sigma ef 500 dg st, cs2, Lightroom 3
flickr (external link)
-David

sponsored links

4,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark III back up to MSRP?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.