Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Jul 2012 (Friday) 14:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Feathering a beauty dish

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,742 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 27, 2012 14:24 |  #1

I just started working with a beauty dish and am having a bit of trouble. I know that the light is more specular than the softboxes I normally use but it seems excessive. When I am feathering the dish, should I do it so slightly that the flash tube isnt visible to the subject? Im also getting a really bad double shadow which I think might be from having the flash tube exposed as well. Its a kacey dish if anyone is curious.

Shane
flickr (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2012 14:50 |  #2

In my view, a beauty dish is intended to be used straight on.
Feathering is too likely to cause problems, as you are experiencing.

I see a lot of images on the fora that the shooter claims is a beauty dish shot but it has a sock on it which, IMO, turns it into a soft box.

The point of a BD for me is the more specular light with softer shadow transitions but not the hugh wrap that one can get with a softbox.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

JakAHearts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,742 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 27, 2012 15:03 |  #3

Interesting. Perhaps Ill try it straight on. Perhaps I deserve a "Duh" :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 27, 2012 16:25 |  #4

You really should have the central reflector installed and blocking all 'stray' light from the subject and or visible background. The point is to reflect the light into the dish so that its shape, surface and apparent size are used to provide the 'beauty' style lighting. Without the bounce, light from your bulb has no benefit of the dish.

This is so much more than just a Dish video - Enjoy your "Duh" moment.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ZtIkhvNH1X0 (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,791 views & 0 likes for this thread
Feathering a beauty dish
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.