Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod recommendation

DanFrank
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 26, 2012 21:10 |  #1

Looking for my first decent tripod. I have a budget of around $250. Would like to have something I can grow into with my photography for the next 5 years. No macro shooting, more for portraits, landscapes and night time shots.

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

sponsored links
Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 26, 2012 21:35 |  #2

DanFrank wrote in post #14775385 (external link)
Looking for my first decent tripod. I have a budget of around $250. Would like to have something I can grow into with my photography for the next 5 years. No macro shooting, more for portraits, landscapes and night time shots.

250 for legs? or legs and heads?

Fly me away.

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 26, 2012 21:42 as a reply to  @ Judsonzhao's post |  #3

for both :(

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 26, 2012 23:36 |  #4

Look around for a Manfrotto 055x and a 498rc2 head, I sold mine for about that and it was like new

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 27, 2012 00:14 |  #5

055xprob $100 used, if no macro, 055xb or 055xdb
498/488, $70-80 used or vanguard SBH-xxx (I don't have experience with them, but it has great reputation)
arca-style clamp if you buy manfrotto's ballhead, $50
$100 for L-bracket then, you all done.
Actually I once try to sell my 055xdb +486rc2 at $120, but gifted it to my friend. I mean you can find very good solution with 250 bucks.
As you're doing a lot of portrait, I strongly suggest you to go arca-style.

Fly me away.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 27, 2012 13:33 |  #6

Right here: LINK (external link)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2012 13:46 |  #7

Went to local shop today and feel very comfortable with the Manfrotto 550proB. I didn't care for the Manfrotto heads though. Seemed stiff. I liked the vanguard GH100 pistol grip the best. Any thoughts? Will the of a FF camera and 70- 200 II down the road be a weight issue?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 27, 2012 15:26 |  #8

DanFrank wrote in post #14778323 (external link)
Went to local shop today and feel very comfortable with the Manfrotto 550proB. I didn't care for the Manfrotto heads though. Seemed stiff. I liked the vanguard GH100 pistol grip the best. Any thoughts? Will the of a FF camera and 70- 200 II down the road be a weight issue?

If you have that setup in mind, do yourself a favor and get a Markins or RRS or Arca-Swiss head now.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2012 15:37 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #9

I'm sorry, I don't know the difference. Why, will I eventually want/need one of those? What's the difference between the Vanguard pistol grip head and the ones you mentioned?

Thrs why we all ask questions, because people have had to make the same choices. I'd rather buy the proper setup now rather than later.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 27, 2012 21:01 |  #10

DanFrank wrote in post #14778746 (external link)
I'm sorry, I don't know the difference. Why, will I eventually want/need one of those? What's the difference between the Vanguard pistol grip head and the ones you mentioned?

What is the difference between a 55-250 and your 70-200? What is the difference between a 550D and your 7D?
Night and day, pretty much.

Thrs why we all ask questions, because people have had to make the same choices. I'd rather buy the proper setup now rather than later.

Then you may want to save up more ;)
The 055xprob is fine if you're going to be leaving it at home or putting it in the boot of your car and drive around, but if you plan on doing any activity with it, such as hiking, forget it, and spend more on a better, lighter, set of legs such as a Feisol or Benro, or even a Gitzo or RSS if you have the money (which not many do).
The head matters more even than the legs, a low quality one will, from the start or eventually, exhibit droop, sag, slip or all three of those. A good quality head will lock your camera where you set it, and not budge. That is the difference between a good experience using a tripod, and frustration at having to reframe your shot every time, or having a ruined long exposure because the head moved.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2012 21:28 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #11

OK, so basically its just quality than of the head and lighter strong legs that im paying more for. I can understand that. I thought it was more of a feather with the ones Ben_R suggested that the Manfrotto and vanguard didn't have.

After looking around at the suggested brands, I think $500-$700 is a bit steep for someone learning. Id go up to $350 but all this money is taking away from a lenses or another something I might want later on.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,431 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 27, 2012 22:40 |  #12

ben_r_ wrote in post #14778705 (external link)
If you have that setup in mind, do yourself a favor and get a Markins or RRS or Arca-Swiss head now.

Very much consider what he is saying!

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 28, 2012 01:59 |  #13

I just recently watched a B&H presenter and he said:
- You'll buy your first tripod, and you'll leave it at home in the closet.
- You'll buy your second tripod, and you'll leave it at home in the closet.
- You'll buy your third tripod and you'll finally figure out that you need a sturdy but light tripod that you want to take with you everywhere and you'll actually use that one.

That's basically my sentiment exactly. Find one with the right weight and price and then save up for it. Otherwise the other two tripods will be a "noob tax".

That said, if you want to venture towards a Sirui aluminum tripod (like a T1004x) and G20 ballhead, it would fit your current needs. Could be had around $250 which is what I'm using for a 50D and a 70-200 F4 IS. But I don't hike a ton and money hasn't appeared in my lap for a heavier camera/nicer lenses.

Photography is the art of exclusion

takai
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 28, 2012 03:05 |  #14

Heh, I'm currently on my third tripod. But for different reasons to the B&H presenter.

Wanting something larger and sturdier than my ultraportable Slik CF tripod, but something smaller than my massive studio tripod that weighs 10kg+.

Was looking at the 'Frot 055s, but the quality issues i keep seeing pop up worry me slightly. Starting to think more about a Benro or Sirui or something similar. Budget is roughly the same.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,431 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2012 07:45 |  #15

055XPROB has been out tanding for me and I use it A LOT. Great value for the money.

My 10 history of tripods/heads as follows:
11 years ago Manfrotto with pan/tilt fluid head.
5 years ago put a Manfrotto 498RC2 (equiv back then)
Replaced the head with a RRS MH40 with a standard plate, then L Plates
Replaced old Manf legs with 055XPROB because I wanted a tilt column and the ability to get low to the ground.

The single most important - nicest - "worth going the extra $" piece of the gear, hands down, is the ARCA SWISS style quick release.

The RC2 can't hold a candle to it, period.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

7,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod recommendation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.