Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 04:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Microfocus adjustment: driving me crazy

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 27, 2012 09:30 |  #46

hollis_f wrote in post #14777099 (external link)
Following your 'logic', the 40D also had this magically improved AF code. The 40D does not have MFA, yet it was introduced after Canon had released a camera with MFA.

sambarino wrote in post #14777149 (external link)
See the logic in my posting.

If there were any I would.

The 40D isn't a rebel. It was introduced after Canon had developed MFA. These are the two conditions which, according to you, mean that the 60D must have a new, improved AF system. So, according to your 'logic' the same must apply to the 40D.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links
mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 27, 2012 11:18 |  #47

Just to last, but I wish they put a MFA on all their DSLRs. I have a T3i and saw a great deal in the sell forum but the user stated he had to MA on his camera to get it sharp. I don't want to take a chance on buying and then having to spend more moeny to send it off for calibration which would then make it the cost of new. So in some cases, having that feature would allow you to buy used lenses that others may not want, and it would mean that any used lens purchased would normally not need to be sent for calibration (just in case.)

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 27, 2012 11:30 |  #48

sambarino wrote in post #14777041 (external link)
Someone will have to have a huge pile of very convincing evidence to convince me otherwise.

So you want a huge pile of evidence to prove that what you are saying, without any evidence by the way, is not true? That just does not make any sense to me.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 27, 2012 11:31 |  #49

mikeinctown wrote in post #14777706 (external link)
Just to last, but I wish they put a MFA on all their DSLRs. I have a T3i and saw a great deal in the sell forum but the user stated he had to MA on his camera to get it sharp. I don't want to take a chance on buying and then having to spend more moeny to send it off for calibration which would then make it the cost of new. So in some cases, having that feature would allow you to buy used lenses that others may not want, and it would mean that any used lens purchased would normally not need to be sent for calibration (just in case.)

Just because it needed MFA on his camera does not mean it would on yours. Before passing up a good deal on the lens it may be worth your while to find out if the sellers other lens had to have MFA. Atleast it would tell you if his body was way off and not the lens.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 27, 2012 12:24 |  #50

duane0524 wrote in post #14777756 (external link)
Just because it needed MFA on his camera does not mean it would on yours. Before passing up a good deal on the lens it may be worth your while to find out if the sellers other lens had to have MFA. Atleast it would tell you if his body was way off and not the lens.

That may very well be true. So if it is still up for sale in a week because of the MA comment I will most likely contact the seller. But, the comment was a generality as well. Having the option available does expand options.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 27, 2012 12:29 |  #51

mikeinctown wrote in post #14777964 (external link)
That may very well be true. So if it is still up for sale in a week because of the MA comment I will most likely contact the seller. But, the comment was a generality as well. Having the option available does expand options.

I agree with your statement, just trying to help you spend a little bit of your money.:cool:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,004 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 27, 2012 12:35 |  #52

mikeinctown wrote in post #14777964 (external link)

For roughly the same price as the seller is asking, you can get one from Amazon, if the comment concerns you as much as it seems.

http://www.amazon.com …sigma+50mm&cond​ition=used (external link)

(assuming that is the lens you are looking at)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 27, 2012 13:05 |  #53

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14778006 (external link)
For roughly the same price as the seller is asking, you can get one from Amazon, if the comment concerns you as much as it seems.

http://www.amazon.com …sigma+50mm&cond​ition=used (external link)

(assuming that is the lens you are looking at)

LOL it is, and that is one reason why I am hesitant to buy that used from amazon. I think those are returns that may need to have calibration done. 8 lenses that are all the same condition and same price. based on what I have heard about the lens, once you get a good copy it is fantastic, but getting to that point is a crap shoot.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,004 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 27, 2012 13:06 |  #54

mikeinctown wrote in post #14778139 (external link)
LOL it is, and that is one reason why I am hesitant to buy that used from amazon. I think those are returns that may need to have calibration done. 8 lenses that are all the same condition and same price. based on what I have heard about the lens, once you get a good copy it is fantastic, but getting to that point is a crap shoot.

You are better off buying a new one then, and sending it to Sigma for calibration, if you are that concerned. Much less stress, and you end up with a piece of paper you can send with your lens should you ever sell it, showing that it was calibrated by the manufacturer. I did that with my Sigma 50, and I am quite pleased with it on several cameras now.

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/i-MLRTrxN/0/X2/BIG5426-X2.jpg

This is a tough shot to land on her eyes with all the busy stuff around.
IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/IMG9401/812716851_AB4xH-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sambarino
549 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 27, 2012 19:32 |  #55

duane0524 wrote in post #14777750 (external link)
So you want a huge pile of evidence to prove that what you are saying, without any evidence by the way, is not true? That just does not make any sense to me.

Look around. Over 6 billion people on this planet believe is a god (lower case intentional) of some sort. They have even less evidence than I do. THAT does not make any sense. Since I can't prove their is a god, by your logic, there is NOT one. Take that up some of those 6 billion people. Talk about not making sense!

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 27, 2012 20:16 |  #56

sambarino wrote in post #14779465 (external link)
Look around. Over 6 billion people on this planet believe is a god (lower case intentional) of some sort. They have even less evidence than I do. THAT does not make any sense. Since I can't prove their is a god, by your logic, there is NOT one. Take that up some of those 6 billion people. Talk about not making sense!

My point was you want a mountain of evidence, but do not have one shred yourself, Although it is funny that you are comparin religious beliefs to a 60d.

I have never needed the jack in my truck, but I am damn glad I have it, regardless of how much better my tire is made then the old model.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 27, 2012 21:51 |  #57

duane0524 wrote in post #14779575 (external link)
My point was you want a mountain of evidence, but do not have one shred yourself, Although it is funny that you are comparin religious beliefs to a 60d.

I have never needed the jack in my truck, but I am damn glad I have it, regardless of how much better my tire is made then the old model.

Point out the number of complaints about 60D needing MF with Canon lenses. I have 5 Canon lenses, including 2 macros, and haven't seen the need in any of them. I'm not a statistically significant set of data by myself, but you only seem to see those comments about MF from 50D and 7D owners, and those who use 3rd party lenses.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 27, 2012 22:01 |  #58

Preeb wrote in post #14779863 (external link)
Point out the number of complaints about 60D needing MF with Canon lenses. I have 5 Canon lenses, including 2 macros, and haven't seen the need in any of them. I'm not a statistically significant set of data by myself, but you only seem to see those comments about MF from 50D and 7D owners, and those who use 3rd party lenses.

Not sure what your point is, I was questioning him needing a pile of evidence to change his mind, when he has no evidence himself.

Where did I say anything about 50d or 70d's? I have a 50d with Canon and 3 party lenses, never had to adjust any of them, but I like the fact that I could if I needed to. I guess my 50d got the new auto focus too.

ben4633
767 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 28, 2012 00:54 |  #59

I am one of those that swears by it. It is a tool provided by Canon for a reason. I also did a lot of reading on MFA and kind of came up with a way that is cheap, easy, and consistant. I had to adjust nearly all of my lenses. My L lenses not so much maybe 2 or 3 clicks. Other lenses really surprised me how much they were off. I have since dont many friends and family lenses all with positive results. I have attached a link to the post where I explain my method. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1121979

Canon 7D - Canon 50D - Canon 28-135 IS - Canon 580 EXII - Canon 15-85 - Canon 10-22 - Canon 70-200 IS 4.0L - Canon 400L 5.6

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/aaronbphotos/ (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 28, 2012 03:51 as a reply to  @ post 14772050 |  #60

I dont bother with it, if I have a lens thats not right it goes to canon.

Gear List

sponsored links

11,916 views & 0 likes for this thread
Microfocus adjustment: driving me crazy
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.