Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 01:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to transfer large JPEG files to clients

Sylvia925
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 28, 2012 01:59 |  #1

I am tired to sending out CDs with pictures. Can anyone recommend how to transfer large JPEG files to clients electronically (around 1GB). Need something easy that will not require clients to register.

Thanks!

Sylvia
5D II, Rebel T1i, EFS 18-55 IS, EF 50mm 1.4, Tamron AF 28-75, Sigma 85 1.4, 430EX II
FB: http://www.facebook.co​m/BelliesandBabiesPhot​o (external link)

sponsored links
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 28, 2012 02:02 |  #2

A 1gb jpg? are they for billboards?

Try google documents. :)

Canon investor

Sylvia925
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 28, 2012 02:10 |  #3

total file transfer size...just all the photos from the client's session in color and b&W....

Sylvia
5D II, Rebel T1i, EFS 18-55 IS, EF 50mm 1.4, Tamron AF 28-75, Sigma 85 1.4, 430EX II

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 28, 2012 02:22 |  #4

for such a large transfer, a dvd is probably preferred by the client, I know I would prefer a disk.

but you could probably zip them up into files that meet google documents file limitations *not sure if they limit the size but probably do* and send them links. Perhaps some cloud drive? Possibly smugmug, they may allow a batch download feature, but im not sure.

Canon investor

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 28, 2012 07:29 |  #5

Sylvia925 wrote in post #14780470 (external link)
Need something easy that will not require clients to register. Thanks!

You might try doing what we do and that is set up a hosted account.

http://www.superb.net/ (external link)

A basic plan will run you $9.00 per month with 20 gig of storage and unlimited downloads.

Once setup you would then up-load the files to the clients page and forward to the client a link to it similar to this.

http://www.channel1ima​ges.com/potn/Jones/ima​ge.jpg (external link)

If you wanted client only access then you would password protect the directory like this.

http://www.channel1ima​ges.com/potn/Smith/ima​ge.jpg (external link)

login = potn

password = password

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 28, 2012 07:38 |  #6

Sylvia925 wrote in post #14780470 (external link)
Need something easy that will not require clients to register. Thanks!

PS another nice part of having your own domain is identity and image, for example if your domain is say PhotographyBySylvia.co​m then your e-mail addy could be ylvia@PhotographyBySyl​via.com (external link) and since the domain is registered to you (be sure about that when setting one up, some free services are not so free) you can change hosting providers with a minimum of fuss.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 28, 2012 11:12 |  #7

You could use dropbox.com. I don't think the receiver needs to register. I've transferred files in the ~200MB range, I think you get something around 1GB for free.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 28, 2012 11:18 |  #8

If you have your own domain and wordpress, you could use the Download Manager plugin. Upload your zip file, create whatever options you want (password protect, download view count, download limit, etc) and put it up on a private page linked to your website so they can download it.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,932 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 28, 2012 11:18 |  #9

Yep, via dropbox you can send the receiver just a download link. they do not need to register. Not sure about size limits.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

MichaelAnthonyPhotography
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 28, 2012 14:23 |  #10

www.wetransfer.com (external link)

2gb at a time

no catch, works great MOST of the time. Occasionally people will tell me that they were not able to open files.

Santa Clarita Wedding Photographers - Michael Anthony Photography (external link)
Los Angeles Photography Blog (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 28, 2012 14:38 |  #11

I usually just ftp stuff to my host and provide the client with the direct link. I'm already paying for the hosting for my site, may as well use it as a delivery system too. I also believe the perception of professionalism is a little higher when you can send people a link that contains your domain name, keeping everything in-house ie no obvious third parties.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 29, 2012 01:26 |  #12

Dropbox.

I have smugmug, and it has a Download all feature where you will get emailed a .zip file with a link good for two weeks. I use that constantly.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Sylvia925
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 29, 2012 01:45 |  #13

Thanks! Will definitely try dropbox.com and www.wetransfer.com (external link)

Sylvia

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,148 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 29, 2012 13:30 |  #14

cdifoto wrote in post #14782140 (external link)
I usually just ftp stuff to my host and provide the client with the direct link. I'm already paying for the hosting for my site, may as well use it as a delivery system too. I also believe the perception of professionalism is a little higher when you can send people a link that contains your domain name, keeping everything in-house ie no obvious third parties.

I do this as well, and for the same reason.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2012 14:38 |  #15

RDKirk wrote in post #14786173 (external link)
I do this as well, and for the same reason.

+1

FTP is also nice as it is very easy to password protect, etc.

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to transfer large JPEG files to clients
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.