Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 11:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AF question

FlyFishingTN
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 28, 2012 11:04 |  #1

if my 400 5.6 was dead on with the Mark IV (1.3 crop) does that necessarily mean that I would need to micro adjust it on the 5d III??

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 28, 2012 11:16 |  #2

Hard to say. Every lens/body combo seems to behave differently.

FlyFishingTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 28, 2012 11:20 |  #3

Is the distance from first element to the sensor different with a FF? That's really my question. I nailed some shots this morning of a young hawk but they seem a tiny bit softer then with the Mark IV. Not much,, but a little. This is my first FF body. I'll post some sample shots shortly.

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 28, 2012 11:20 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #4

depends if it is a problem with the lens or body.

Gear List

Ramon-uk
670 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 28, 2012 11:37 |  #5

FlyFishingTN wrote in post #14781580 (external link)
Is the distance from first element to the sensor different with a FF?

No, the distance between the lens and the sensor is controlled by the focal length of the lens. If you have for instance a 50mm lens and fit it either to a crop body or a FF body then it will be have to be the same distance from the sensor in order to focus.

It is very difficult to compare pictures between different sized sensors because of different pixel sizes / magnification and different moire filters that are fitted in front of the sensor so what may be perceived as an out of focus effect from one particular sensor may just be that the picture needs more sharpening.

Having said that all of our cameras and lenses are mass produced items built within a certain tolerance range, if you have a body that doesn't quite fall within the tolerance range of the lens then micro focus adjust can be useful. This has got nothing to do with sensor size.

FlyFishingTN
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 28, 2012 11:50 |  #6

Thanks for info. As I said this is my first FF and it's still new so I'm getting used to it. I've noticed some of the heavy crops look more like my 1D II did for some reason. I assumed with so many pixels the detail would be mind blowing. I'm not knocking this body in any way. It's amazing so far. Just pointing out some of my observations. Could just be a nut loose behind the viewfinder.

Here are some RAW images from this morning.

Crop

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 28, 2012 12:16 |  #7

You might want to Micro Adjust focus with that lens. That would resolve any slight focus mis-calibration. It doesn't appear there's much, from your sample images.

I suspect it's more a matter of learning different image post processing... perhaps using a bit more sharpening. I don't have either model, so can't say if it's "normal" or not.

It also could be as simple as your own habits when working with your images. The 1D4 image is 4896 x 3264 pixels max. The 5DIII's are 5760 x 3840 max. So if you are in the habit of checking focus at a paticular magnification, you are actually looking at the new camera's images larger and more critically. For example, on most computer monitors, 100% with the 1D4's files is like viewing a print 4 feet wide. The same 100% viewing with 5DIII's image is like making a 5 foot wide or 25% larger print with it. You can either scale down the 5DIII images to better match the size of the 1D4's. Or you can use slightly less magnification to view the larger files.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

732 views & 0 likes for this thread
AF question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.