Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod recommendation

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 28, 2012 09:22 |  #16

DanFrank wrote in post #14778746 (external link)
I'm sorry, I don't know the difference. Why, will I eventually want/need one of those? What's the difference between the Vanguard pistol grip head and the ones you mentioned?

Thrs why we all ask questions, because people have had to make the same choices. I'd rather buy the proper setup now rather than later.

Well, pistol grips, in general, will either need a lot of effort to release the clamp (so they actually have some tension on the ball and can hold the camera/lens in place) or won't hold your camera very solidly where you leave it. With a ball or three-way head you'll have a screw-down clamp that you can control the tension on, with not as much effort as a solid pistol grip (like the Manfrotto 32x series) will.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 28, 2012 11:24 |  #17

OK. So if I go with the Acra Swiss Z1 SP LINK (external link) what legs & plate should I get. Seems people say light is better, but may not be as steady. Remember Im already over budget. But do want to go full frame next year, and get a 70-200 2.8 II lens

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 28, 2012 16:39 |  #18

DanFrank wrote in post #14781598 (external link)
OK. So if I go with the Acra Swiss Z1 SP LINK (external link) what legs & plate should I get. Seems people say light is better, but may not be as steady. Remember Im already over budget. But do want to go full frame next year, and get a 70-200 2.8 II lens

Get a tripod that has a hook. In that case, you can hang your camera bag/backpack on it and a light tripod becomes a sturdy tripod in 2 seconds.

Photography is the art of exclusion

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 28, 2012 21:00 |  #19

I have had great results with my Feisol 3441T.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2012 13:38 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #20

Thanks for all the recommendations. Alot of great stuff out there and its not easy picking a legs/head combo. I wanted a setup with a decent warranty. Weight was a big factor in my decision. Wanted Carbon Fiber for that reason but didn't want to pay the CF prices to get it. Wanted something above 50in in height with center column retracted. I was on the fence about keeping it under a certain amount, but had to go over my budget to get quality stuff. One minute I was thinking "the hell with it" im getting the Acra-Swiss and Gitzo setup "it will late a lifetime" than a few minutes later coming back down to earth. I feel comfortable with my purchase and still have money for a lens.

-Arcatech GV2 (external link) Head ($215 USED-like new in box) 10 year Warranty made is USA
-Sirui N1004 (external link) Tripod ($155) 6 year Warrenty

$390.09 Shipped
Total Weight: 3.60lbs

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

dandai
317 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 31, 2012 16:51 as a reply to  @ DanFrank's post |  #21

I'm getting ready to pull trigger on a Gitzo 2532 mountaineer and a RRS Bh-40. Just as soon as I talk myself into spending that much money. I hope Gitzo will have some rebates soon.

ninhja
867 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 31, 2012 19:00 |  #22

Dan, where did you find an acratech gv2 used for 215?

Flickr (external link)

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2012 19:29 |  #23

Amazon. Seller was selling it for $250. I sent him an email asking if $220 was good and he lowered the price to $220. Like-new in box with plate only a month old. That's the main reason I went with it. Couldn't beat the deal.

ninhja
867 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 31, 2012 19:40 |  #24

that is am amazing deal. i'm looking for the same ball head!

Flickr (external link)

takai
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2012 20:28 |  #25

Any thoughts on the Feisol CT-3441S?

http://www.feisol.net …d-ct3441s-rapid-p-38.html (external link)

Have an opportunity to pick one up relatively cheaply.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,496 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 31, 2012 20:44 |  #26

DanFrank wrote in post #14778323 (external link)
Went to local shop today and feel very comfortable with the Manfrotto 550proB. I didn't care for the Manfrotto heads though. Seemed stiff. I liked the vanguard GH100 pistol grip the best. Any thoughts? Will the of a FF camera and 70- 200 II down the road be a weight issue?

Most ballheads have a large knob to lock the ball and something that looks like a setscrew or dial on the front of the large knob that is the torque limit dial (Markins terminology). You set the torque limit dial so that the camera and lens combo can actually stay put (at least when level) when you back off on the locking knob.

If someone in the store cranked down too much on the torque limit dial the ballhead will seem really stiff even with the large locking knob backed right off.

Ahhh ... just checked and the equivalent of the Markins "torque limit dial" is the smaller friction knob on the 498RC2 (180 degrees from the locking knob). When you tested it in the store did you back the friction knob off all the way or did you just back off on the larger locking knob?

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 31, 2012 20:46 |  #27

takai wrote in post #14797559 (external link)

Really love mine coupled with a Markins Q3T. No complaints.

Depending on what you shoot, if you get low to the ground, you'll want the short center column for the Feisol.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2012 20:59 |  #28

takai wrote in post #14797559 (external link)

I was very close to buying that same Feisol. Other than CF, I couldn't justify an extra $230 for it. Its a great tripod from all the reviews Ive seen on it.

takai
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2012 21:05 |  #29

Extra $230 over which other options?

Unfortunately the Manfrotto 055s are almost as much as the Feisol over here...

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2012 21:18 |  #30

I choose this after doing a boat load of reviews. The Feisol may be a better option for you. They make great stuff. I went with Sirui N1004 (external link)

sponsored links

7,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod recommendation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.