Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jul 2012 (Friday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photos you wish you had your DSLR for..best camera is always the one you left at home

hyogen
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 27, 2012 20:30 |  #1

"Your best camera is always the one you left at home". I heard this quote from somewhere recently--how true -_-

I SO wish I could have stopped and taken a picture of this gorgeous sunset. The wife was hungry and grumpy, so I didn't dare--but she was at least willing to take this and more shots with her camera phone (galaxy s2). Only 10 minutes before you could see wide bands of light coming out through the clouds like the Raisin Bran cereal box :P

It was painful to see this photo opp slip through my fingers. I would have loved to have had my ultra wide angle (didn't own it until a few days ago) and at very least my T1i, which I've been dying to upgrade -_-

This is Portland, OR on the Burnside Bridge, I believe. Photo has been untouched

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8146/7659470530_2c04e39599_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/hyogen82/765947​0530/  (external link)
wife's camera phone... (external link) by h y o f o t o <3 (external link), on Flickr

Please share your best pictures you wish you had your DSLR...or certain lens for.

justinleeportland (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
EOS R6, 45mm TS-E / RF 35mm 1.8 / RF 28-70 2.0 / EF 16-35 2.8 ii / EF 70-200 2.8 ii / Zhiyun Weebill S / Moza Slypod

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 28, 2012 04:50 |  #2

hyogen wrote in post #14779612 (external link)
"Your best camera is always the one you left at home". I heard this quote from somewhere recently--how true -_-

I SO wish I could have stopped and taken a picture of this gorgeous sunset. The wife was hungry and grumpy, so I didn't dare--but she was at least willing to take this and more shots with her camera phone (galaxy s2). Only 10 minutes before you could see wide bands of light coming out through the clouds like the Raisin Bran cereal box :P

It was painful to see this photo opp slip through my fingers. I would have loved to have had my ultra wide angle (didn't own it until a few days ago) and at very least my T1i, which I've been dying to upgrade -_-

This is Portland, OR on the Burnside Bridge, I believe. Photo has been untouched
Please share your best pictures you wish you had your DSLR...or certain lens for.

sorry, no pics. But I predict in the future everyone will have a DSLR-like camera in a phone device. Maybe I will call it EOS-Mphone

ELT_Photo
301 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2012 17:52 |  #3

Thats why I take my "camera du jour" with me - everytime I capture one of those rare
moments, it makes up for luggin' the thing around.
"Chance favors the prepared PHOTOGRAPHER" (yes, I was a Boy Scout!)

Passion - Dedication - Inspiration (and some gear)

ELT_Photo
301 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2012 18:02 |  #4

Shot this as a stormfront rolled in - the the sodium lamps flickering on caught my attention. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Passion - Dedication - Inspiration (and some gear)

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 28, 2012 18:03 |  #5

I usually do have my camera with me wherever I go, unless I know I'm not going to be interested in shooting.

Heck, I have a season pass to the local aquarium, and I still manage to get around 100 shots nearly every time I go. :D
But, in response to this thread, I mostly have cases where I *do* have my camera. I see this amazing shot. I put my camera up to my eye and then...

...realize that the lens I'm using isn't going to get what I want. Whether it be seeing this awesome water-powered Jet Pack guy in San Diego and having my 50mm prime instead of my 70-200 or seeing this great skyline outside the Getty center in Los Angeles and having nothing close to "wide" -- it's happened before. Or, just not having a flash handy. Or a memory card. DAMN.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 28, 2012 21:50 as a reply to  @ Paolo.Leviste's post |  #6

The most dramatic photo op I missed because of not having a camera was a couple of years ago. Heading home on my little motorscooter there was a crowd and a commotion on a bridge over a canal in the city.

The Lao police had trapped a bag snatcher in a drainage pipe. The guy finally surrendered. A policeman gave the guy a few good whacks around the ears while he knealt on the ground. He was then was frog marched to a police car with a couple of AK-47s stuck in his back.

Jurgen
50D~EOS M50 MkII~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 29, 2012 20:17 |  #7

I walk home from work most nights, at the moment towards the setting sun. I see all this great light, colour in the sky, fantastic clouds - put my head down and trudge on, to reach home after dark.

Cheers, Damien

touji
891 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 29, 2012 20:41 |  #8

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7667032558_f50830464a_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/touji192/766703​2558/  (external link)
TS TRy 3 (external link) by touji192 (external link), on Flickr

I was on my way to the Mount Fuji area to go to the amusement park Fuji-Q Highland. Being a rollercoaster oriented park, I decided to leave my 60D at home because I didn't want to deal with it while riding roller coasters. Later did I find out that Fuji-Q has free lockers at every ride and they make you put all your belongings into them before going on the ride.

On the train ride there, I looked down to see this beautiful scene and thought about the fake tilt shift effect thread and snapped this picture with my iPhone 4s (which I actually lost on a train transfer. Luckily, being Japan, it was turned into the train station and I picked it up from the lost and found on my way back home). Wish I had my 60D to take the picture, but in hindsight, I might not have had the focal length I needed!

5D Mark III | Gripped 60D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II | Canon 8-15mm f4L | Canon 50mm f1.8II | Canon 100L | Tamron 150-600mm
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
Shooting Since 10/16/2011!

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 29, 2012 21:19 |  #9

I saw a mermaid one time... I really wish I had it then.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

hyogen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 31, 2012 12:47 |  #10

touji wrote in post #14787726 (external link)
Can't embed because I can't login to Flickr at work so here's a link!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/touji192/766703​2558/ (external link)

I was on my way to the Mount Fuji area to go to the amusement park Fuji-Q Highland. Being a rollercoaster oriented park, I decided to leave my 60D at home because I didn't want to deal with it while riding roller coasters. Later did I find out that Fuji-Q has free lockers at every ride and they make you put all your belongings into them before going on the ride.

On the train ride there, I looked down to see this beautiful scene and thought about the fake tilt shift effect thread and snapped this picture with my iPhone 4s (which I actually lost on a train transfer. Luckily, being Japan, it was turned into the train station and I picked it up from the lost and found on my way back home). Wish I had my 60D to take the picture, but in hindsight, I might not have had the focal length I needed!

WOW, that is so pretty...it looks fake like a model! Glad you were able to recover your iphone and this picture :D

justinleeportland (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
EOS R6, 45mm TS-E / RF 35mm 1.8 / RF 28-70 2.0 / EF 16-35 2.8 ii / EF 70-200 2.8 ii / Zhiyun Weebill S / Moza Slypod

touji
891 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 31, 2012 20:02 |  #11

hyogen wrote in post #14795592 (external link)
WOW, that is so pretty...it looks fake like a model! Glad you were able to recover your iphone and this picture :D

Thanks for the comment! It was inspired by this thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=510128

5D Mark III | Gripped 60D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II | Canon 8-15mm f4L | Canon 50mm f1.8II | Canon 100L | Tamron 150-600mm
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
Shooting Since 10/16/2011!

sponsored links

2,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos you wish you had your DSLR for..best camera is always the one you left at home
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.